• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA Boardies, explain your usernames...
2 2

63 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dayzen said:

Was it the one off Broadway? I use to stop by there when I lived in Tennessee. It was close to my favorite bars (red door, broadway brewhouse, Patterson house). Good memories 

Yes, that’s the one! Forget the ‘sitter, my parents could drop me off there and I’d be good for a few hours, leaving with a huge smile, a stack of comics and (usually) empty pockets. 

6 hours ago, aokartman said:

The AOK reference stands for Albright Original Kollection, or Kards, or Komics,  and the artman is for when I'm about the original komic art!

Hence, aokartman.  See pic, and click through a couple times for full flavor....

David S. Albright

So it's not some "street slang" version of Cartman's name from South Park? 

My whole world is a lie!

6 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

First initial. Last name. 

I prefer people know where I am and what I say. It’s been helpful in building a collecting network, when I’m easy to spot. Also keeps me honest and polite, by and large. :)

Mine goes back to the very first email address I ever had, and it's the screen name I've used on pretty much every message board and site for the last 22-25 years.

It's probably as well known as my actual name which everyone uses here and elsewhere anyway. At this point it would confuse more people if I didn't use it. 

Edited by comix4fun

19 minutes ago, grapeape said:

For goodness sake Superman and Spider-Man have secret identities.

Superman no longer has one. As of Superman 18, he's revealed it to the world. The mentioned in story motivation is that he felt conflicted over "lying" to the world. Of course, once they aged is son, it was going to be pretty obvious anyway.

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts; I'm really not interested in another One More Day storyline though. :)

9 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

Superman no longer has one. As of Superman 18, he's revealed it to the world. The mentioned in story motivation is that he felt conflicted over "lying" to the world. Of course, once they aged is son, it was going to be pretty obvious anyway.

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts; I'm really not interested in another One More Day storyline though. :)

Haha shows you had out of touch I am with reading comics today. You taught me a couple of things I didn’t know.

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

I don’t know if there are set rules on protecting the real identity of other users on the board.

Not that I've seen on this board per se but doxxing in general is frowned upon across the internet. I think it would be nice if the first time the board sees a user's IRL name in full here it would be the user themselves posting it.

32 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Haha shows you had out of touch I am with reading comics today. You taught me a couple of things I didn’t know.

Being still mystified as to Alex's near entire post, I'm even more out of touch than yourself.

Not because I'm not reading current comics, I'm just not reading Big Two superhero.

I put in my 20 years and am now retired from that!

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Mine goes back to the very first email address I ever had, and it's the screen name I've used on pretty much every message board and site for the last 22-25 years.

It's probably as well known as my actual name which everyone uses here and elsewhere anyway. At this point it would confuse more people if I didn't use it. 

Totally makes sense.

I used an old AOL screen name for my forum IDs for a number of years in the early days, but a member of a guitar forum that I was very friendly with took to calling me Eric Bunchanumbers. It was true. Hard to say. Too long. And when I joined up here and several other boards thereafter, I just went for ease of recognition on all platforms. I’ve no need for any anonymity or secrecy/security that a screen name supplies.

Besides, I’m an art collector, not a superhero with a secret identity like the Purple Ape. :)

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

My name is derived from my love of Batman (not in the same way Robin loves Batman).  People have suggested I change it to P'Nutz but I don't understand why.

Once you get a few more Sunday's you can change it to P'Nutz Envy.

15 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

My name is derived from my love of Batman (not in the same way Robin loves Batman).  People have suggested I change it to P'Nutz but I don't understand why.

You have the best nickname on here.  Actually, maybe the only one, but regardless.

It's so good it could be a hiphop name.

1 hour ago, alxjhnsn said:

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts; I'm really not interested in another One More Day storyline though. :)

8 hours ago, grapeape said:

8 hours ago, vodou said:

Being still mystified as to Alex's near entire post, I'm even more out of touch than yourself.

Not because I'm not reading current comics, I'm just not reading Big Two superhero.

I put in my 20 years and am now retired from that!

I read a fair number of DC books, but only a couple of Marvel ones (Jason Aaron's Thor which is the best run ever maybe, and Miles Morales: Spider-man). Most of my pull is is from other publishers. It's in Spoiler tags to save those that aren't interested in my personal degree of crazy.

Spoiler
There are some creators that I will trust on almost anything - Art Baltazar, Jason Aaron, Dan Abnett, Kurt Busiek, Jeff Lemire, and a few others.

Some books I read in the trades. For some, I'm years and years behind, but that makes for good Christmas/Birthday/Anniversary presents.

Dark Horse
• Usagi Yojimbo - If you aren't reading this you are making a terrible mistake.

• Age of Bronze - What can I say, I loved the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid.
• Invincible - Fun comic though it has it's dark moments
• Powers

Vertigo
• Preacher

My monthly pull list:

Abstract Studios
  • Five Years - The Terryverse countdown is running. Can it be saved? 

Action Lab
  •  

Archaia
  • Mouse Guard - mideaval mouse civilization struggles in their world - wonderful
Aftershock
  •  
Antarctic Press
  • Punchline - Girl gets powers and a mentor and then...
Boom!
  • Black Badge - What kids who want more than scouting gives do.
  • Once and Future - Excalibur’s scabard shows up and Arthur shows up in England’s darkest hour, but is he the cause of that hour?
  • Folklords - In a world of wonders, one rebellious teen seeks our mundane world

Dark Horse
  • Black Hammer - Sort of a version of the JLA trapped in a universe where time doesn’t seem to flow much. Interesting read by Jeff Lemire.
  • Black Hammer ’45 - Set during WW2
  • Elfquest - 35 years old and still strong. Remarkable work.
  •  

DC
  • Action Comics - Good stories well told
  • Aquaman - Good stories well told
  • Batman/Superman
  • DCeased - Sort of a zombie tale
  • Dial H for Hero - fun stuff
  • Doom Patrol - an odd but interesting book not sure where it is going
  • Doomsday Clock - a solid story tarnished by late delivery - read it in a trade!
  • Far Sector - A young GL out on the edges 
  • Flash - A younger Barry Allen, but not unlike the Silver Age one.
  • Flash Forward - Wally West lost in the multiverse
  • Green Lantern
  • Inferior 5 - not to be confused with the original, but an interesting tale set after Invasion
  • Jimmy Olsen - fun
  • Justice League
  • Justice League Dark
  • Justice League Odyssey
  • Legion of Super-Heroes
  • Lois Lane - mystery by Rucka and Perkins and worth the read
  • Metal Men - Shane Davis’ best art
  • Shazam - a reasonable compromise between the original and more recent takes.
  • Supergirl
  • Superman - Excellent series so far of the pre-Flashpoint Superman and family in the Rebirth world
  • Superman Smashes the Klan - excellent
  • Superman Up in the Sky - a very moving story
  • Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen - It’s a hoot
  • Terrifics - Mr. Terrific and a team take on the worlds
  • Titans
  • Wonder Twins - Silly, but fun
  • Wonder Woman - One of the best of the new 52, I really enjoy it, but the team is changing
  • Young Justice 
Dynamite
  •  

Fantagraphics
  •  

Icon
  •  

IDW
  • Ragnarok - Walt Simonson visits the Norse myths after the big event. Wonderful art backed by a solid well paced story with interesting characters. Buy this book.

• A Distant Soil - Probably better to start with the remastered trades. She's doing the last dozen issues now.
  • Curse Words - a devil escapes from Hell to save the world ?
  • Copperhead - Story of the sheriff of the titular town - space western
  • Excellence - Power struggle at the peak of society
  • Farmhand - Literally, spare parts are grown on a Louisiana farm, but there’s much more going on.
  • Isola - A queen turned to a tiger due to the failure of her trusted guard
  • Middlewest - Skottie Young crafts a tale of three generations with terrible tempers and power to match
  • Outpost Zero - a generation ship crashes on a snowball of a planet and 
  • Outer Darkness - Demon powered space ships and ...
  • Paper Girls - a group of paper delivery girls goes out one morning and it gets really strange - terrific book
  • Prodigy - Mark Millar writes, I buy. It’s that simple
  • Sea of Stars - Space pilot dad and son get separated and then 
  • Seven to Eternity - A quest to save their home
  • Trees - Giant towers land on earth
  • Undiscovered Country - The US locked off from the rest of the world and a global plague
kaboom!
  •  

Marvel
  • Thor (various titles) - Jason Aaron continues the best Thor streak ever
  • Miles Morales: Spider-man - a young man gains spiderpowers and tries to do good with them as he grows
  • Power Pack

Oni Press
  •  
Thirdworld Studios
  • The Stuff of Legend - Excellent book with beautiful story telling
Valiant
  •  

Vertigo (DC)
  • HIgh Level - A quest

Edited by alxjhnsn