• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

QES - I dont get it ???????????????
4 4

77 posts in this topic

Seems a perfect time to once again pitch my trademarked, guaranteed startup money maker idea to boardie investors.

As a recap, its the "IPG" - (if pressed grade)tm service.

The elevator speech: The IPG includes a +/- sign, so say for example my Rodger Dodger CGC 6.0 that has never been pressed gets an IPG +2.0.  All the benefits of the pressed grade, without the actual press!

And for collectors concerned about the "press time loss factor" (PTLF) i.e. pressing decreasing the survival years before newsprint naturally deteriorates, an already pressed book might get an IPG of AP-1 aka "Already Pressed, Press Time Loss Factor = -1 yr. "

wink2.gif.f8fb17540e4facc4852686798cc928cb.gif

Edited by path4play

23 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Is it cheaper to submit and get denied than to get the sticker? Or the same cost to "try"?

Sounds like you are now thinking of a pre-screen for sticker service, similar to what CGC has in terms of their pre-screen for pressing service.  :insane:

Yes, why pay for the full shot if you are not going to be gaining anything from it?  (thumbsu

The only question being, how would they be able to separate the pre-screen work from the actual full job itself.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

18 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Slabbed coins that have had the CAC sticker have been bringing considerably higher prices at auction for the last 10 years in the same grades (for example MS 65).  Conceptually, the "Green" sticker says whether the coin in the slab falls within the range for that grade.  That's basically it.  The "Gold" sticker says that the coin is probably undergraded and would benefit from a resubmission.  Crazy, I know, but here's the website   https://www.caccoin.com/

Edited by picon3
"Green"

15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

:insane:

Yes, why pay for the full shot if you are not going to be gaining anything from it?  (thumbsu

hm

To clarify: with CVA Exceptional, my consigned no reserve cLink auction slabbed comic was PRE-selected by ex-cLink staff (now partner of CVA) as being Exceptional. I received an unsolicited email asking if I wished to pay $35 for the official CVA sticker which I elected to do, and the auction results paid off in my favor at about 9 times condition Overstreet. Not sure how CC's QES sticker works, and if one needs to pre-pay $$ for the possible exceptionalness of one's consigned slab.

23 hours ago, slym2none said:

I swear, we are getting ever closer to having the slabs graded.

:popcorn:

-slym

I know it's a joke but maybe something along those lines can get CGC off their keister to deal with their Newton rings (shrug)?

Edited by MGsimba77

26 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

To clarify: with CVA Exceptional, my consigned no reserve cLink auction slabbed comic was PRE-selected by ex-cLink staff (now partner of CVA) as being Exceptional. I received an unsolicited email asking if I wished to pay $35 for the official CVA sticker which I elected to do, and the auction results paid off in my favor at about 9 times condition Overstreet. Not sure how CC's QES sticker works, and if one needs to pre-pay $$ for the possible exceptionalness of one's consigned slab.

One area where these secondary grading services can be of help is color depth. It's not always easy to accurately access a book's color depth from scans that can be easily altered. Unfortunately I think cgc allows some small amounts of cover fading in high grades at least from what I've seen. Maybe small amounts of foxing or some other undetectable defect on a back cover for those looking for upgrade potential. If there's even a small amount of foxing that can kill the chance of an upgrade on a seemingly perfect looking book. It gets hammered! This especially applies to Ebay listings. I think these are areas where they can help. 

Yes the stickers are way for auction houses to make an extra buck but it doesn't mean they're totally unworthy. Just my 2c

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Now, if they use this approach going forward, I am sure that a lot more consignors would be more than happy to go along with the scheme.  :takeit:

After all, the consignor would now be paying for something that is a sure thing, as opposed to having to pay for something that they might or might NOT get.  (thumbsu

I guess CL doesn't have anything to lose as they already have to take a look at the slabbed book anyways in order to write up their auction description.  hm

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

One area where these secondary grading services can be of help is color depth.

Nah. This is a visual-based hobby, the "eyes" have it, and you should rely on your eyes to determine the "heat" of the colors. Which books pop and which don't. In person, easy to tell. From scans, a little more difficult as some sellers impart an artificial hue to their images to augment eye appeal.

3 hours ago, picon3 said:

Slabbed coins that have had the CAC sticker have been bringing considerably higher prices at auction for the last 10 years in the same grades (for example MS 65).  Conceptually, the "Green" sticker says whether the coin in the slab falls within the range for that grade.  That's basically it.  The "Gold" sticker says that the coin is probably undergraded and would benefit from a resubmission.  Crazy, I know, but here's the website   https://www.caccoin.com/

While I know that coin people favor these heavy rainbow and heavily tarnished shadings on their coins, and pay a huge premium, seemingly, the more tarnished nd filthy looking a coin is, the better it is, I don't get it. IMO, the heavily tarnished and toned coins are about as unattractive as books with deep tan lines.

41 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

From scans, a little more difficult as some sellers impart an artificial hue to their images to augment eye appeal.

Yes that's my point. I don't think the majority of cgc purchases are made in person. I don't have empirical info on that but perhaps it's a safe assumption. 

I have one cva and the colors are off the charts. 

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:
4 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

One area where these secondary grading services can be of help is color depth.

Nah. This is a visual-based hobby, the "eyes" have it, and you should rely on your eyes to determine the "heat" of the colors. Which books pop and which don't. In person, easy to tell. From scans, a little more difficult as some sellers impart an artificial hue to their images to augment eye appeal.

I assume you must be referring to Heritage here since they really brighten up their scans to virtually unbelieveable colors.  :p

As a result, isn't this where the sticker might carry a bit of useful info and value since the "eyes" just might NOT have it when it comes to potentially misleading scans?  hm

It actually looks like the QES sticker would impart more information going forward since they will supposedly have a secondary label on the back of the slab listing the specific criteria which were met in order for this book to receive the QES label.  Not sure about the CVA service, but it sounds as though they just slap the CVA sticker on the front and DON'T provide any specific details as to why this particular book qualified for the CVA label.  The CL auction listing do provide you with a link to the CVA website, but that only lists their general generic criteria only, with nothing specific to that particular book.  (shrug)  

Edited by lou_fine

20 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

It actually looks like the QES sticker would impart more information going forward since they will supposedly have a secondary label on the back of the slab listing the specific criteria which were met in order for this book to receive the QES label.  Not sure about the CVA service, but it sounds as though they just slap the CVA sticker on the front and DON'T provide any specific details as to why this particular book qualified for the CVA label. 

Just thought of something as the QES label with their detailed listing of individual criteria met for each book on the back just might make CL up their game a bit.  hm

This might force them to actually provide scans for the back of their slabs if they want to keep up with the boys at Metro.  :slapfight:

Well okay, probably not as CL seems to be doing just fine anyways with front cover scans only.  :p

Edited by lou_fine