• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS)

224 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Rip said:

As always I would take some of this with HUGE grains of salt. A lot of this info has parts from more legitimate sources but with a different spin. Some of it reads like saltly fan fiction.

Chunks of this are also from other interviews but slightly changed. "This wasn't the movie we worked on" was taken from an interview but here it a bit out different context.

In another interview it was regarding the time crunch on this movie with a few less months to work on it. JJ couldn't spend the time in the editing room he wanted to.

Mustafar WAS supposed to be longer which was taken from various sources books, twitter sources from cast etc. First order officers were also mentioned to be in the early scene.

At least its a bit better than DVD Overlord/Mike Zeroh.

I agree 100%. It could be completely bogus, completely true, or (most probably IMO) somewhere in the middle.

Some particular things that seem likely to be true:

• "The force ghosts weren’t meant to be voices because they shot that footage on camera. The actors were in costumes. Rey was supposed to be surrounded by the force ghosts to serve as sort of a barrier between her and the Sith surrounding them.
  • My source thinks but can’t 100% confirm that this is because of China."

This makes sense to me. Film censorship protocols in China apparently dictate that supernatural elements such as ghosts are not allowed on screen. The ending as it stands is not mind-blowing in any way, so I wouldn't be surprised if the original cut had the force ghosts of past Jedi included. It would have helped to "tie the 3 trilogies together" like people were saying in interviews much better than the voices alone did.

• "The cut JJ eventually and hesitantly agreed to in early December was 2:37 minutes long. It wasn’t the cut we saw which he wouldn’t have approved of (and which is 2:22 long). Apart from the force ghosts, there were other crucial and emotional scenes missing. The cut they released looked “chopped and taped back together with weak scotch tape” (JJ's words)."

The film released is very poorly edited, to the point parts of it don't make sense. Lando's conversation with his "daughter", Finn never revealing his secret to Rey, Claude. The part about Han's appearance being a "projection" of Leia's memory also seems possible (just my opinion).

I am aware however, that even if these elements are true, it doesn't necessarily validate this "anonymous source" and their claims.

1 hour ago, Foley said:

Film censorship protocols in China apparently dictate that supernatural elements such as ghosts are not allowed on screen.

Half the Star Wars films had Force ghosts...including the final cut of Rise of Skywalker.

1 hour ago, Foley said:

I agree 100%. It could be completely bogus, completely true, or (most probably IMO) somewhere in the middle.

• "The force ghosts weren’t meant to be voices because they shot that footage on camera. The actors were in costumes. Rey was supposed to be surrounded by the force ghosts to serve as sort of a barrier between her and the Sith surrounding them.

This makes sense to me. Film censorship protocols in China apparently dictate that supernatural elements such as ghosts are not allowed on screen. The ending as it stands is not mind-blowing in any way, so I wouldn't be surprised if the original cut had the force ghosts of past Jedi included. It would have helped to "tie the 3 trilogies together" like people were saying in interviews much better than the voices alone did.

• "The cut JJ eventually and hesitantly agreed to in early December was 2:37 minutes long. It wasn’t the cut we saw which he wouldn’t have approved of (and which is 2:22 long). Apart from the force ghosts, there were other crucial and emotional scenes missing. The cut they released looked “chopped and taped back together with weak scotch tape” (JJ's words)."

The film released is very poorly edited, to the point parts of it don't make sense. Lando's conversation with his "daughter", Finn never revealing his secret to Rey, Claude. The part about Han's appearance being a "projection" of Leia's memory also seems possible (just my opinion).

I am aware however, that even if these elements are true, it doesn't necessarily validate this "anonymous source" and their claims.

I’d think showing all the Jedi Farce ghosts from past films might’ve been mighty expensive (both in production and having to pay actors like Liam Neeson or Sam Jackson fir their screen time/imagery) and also might’ve looked a little hokey. Best to focus on Rey. It’s fine as is.

15 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Half the Star Wars films had Force ghosts...including the final cut of Rise of Skywalker.

I’m aware of that, and the film censorship body can and does make exceptions, but they’ve banned or edited films for less. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_censorship_in_China

I’m not saying this is definitely the reason, just that it seems plausible to me. 

17 minutes ago, Foley said:

I’m aware of that, and the film censorship body can and does make exceptions, but they’ve banned or edited films for less. 

I’m not saying this is definitely the reason, just that it seems plausible to me. 

Censorship is good. 

14 minutes ago, Foley said:

The crazy thing is anything can be changed at a point in time and used as an excuse not to play a film there. An example would be Suicide Squad.

suicidesquad01.thumb.PNG.9da64b611be142d9b83a1cf0723aa375.PNG

More than a few sites noted the big issue with Suicide Squad is Chinese sensitivity to Japan's Rising Sun symbol which was clearly displayed by Katana. The concern is the atrocities which occurred by the Japanese during WW II, and how such symbolism in the movie may convey support for what occurred.

But now the assumption is it was 'too much violence' as the concern? Like that film was more violent than other films even created by Chinese directors?

7 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I’d think showing all the Jedi Farce ghosts from past films might’ve been mighty expensive (both in production and having to pay actors like Liam Neeson or Sam Jackson fir their screen time/imagery) and also might’ve looked a little hokey. 

More expensive, yes but I think it would have worked much better than just the voices for me. 

22 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It’s fine as is.

Agree to disagree. I thought the film, especially as a finale to a 9 part saga, was a massive let down. 

Saw it today. Fiancé loved it...I really didn’t like it despite going in to it with low expectations after not really liking Last Jedi. Loved The Force Awakens despite the derivative nature of the “Death Star”. Way back after first seeing the Force Awakens I actually thought the Star Destoryer Fleet that appeared in this film minus the world destroying beams should have been the mass threat in that film with concentrated fire power being capable of blowing up a single planet. 

I actually liked, cared about, and was interested in the cast of new characters after The Force Awakens. I liked Kylo Ren and was looking to pick up a published painting of him. After Last Jedi I didn’t really care about any of the new characters and felt Rey and Ren were both much weaker characters in that film. This latest movie did nothing to restore my interest in any of the characters. Rey came close to getting back in my good graces but in the end the whole thing just fell short for me to really care about this trilogy.

On 12/20/2019 at 11:02 AM, valiantman said:

Open questions (possible storylines for future development):

8) Was balance created by eliminating the Sith, or is there an imbalance of good now?

Baby Yoda is dark side so there is now balance with him and Rey.

On 12/21/2019 at 3:37 PM, path4play said:

For me The Rise of Skywalker started out well enough, and I was encouraged.  But the longer the movie went the more I felt like I was on a slowly descending ride where 5 minutes started to feel like 15 and I began to ask myself "enough already, are we done yet?"  Visually attractive, but no personality.

I had this exact same thing happen. It really went downhill for me in the scene where Kylo Ren takes the Sith Wayfinder on the Death Star II). I was like oh jeez I’m tired of these force interactions between Rey and Ren. Due to the earlier scene where he grabbed the necklace using the Force (which seemed to be one of those way over powered Force moments some other people have mentioned) it took me awhile to realize that Kylo Ren was actually on the Death Star with Rey. 

Shortly after that came the Han Solo what the f are you Han scene. Then more scenes followed which caused me to roll my eyes, do facepalms, and  repeatedly think can we wrap this up please.

On 12/23/2019 at 7:45 AM, fantastic_four said:

+2

I'd kill for HUGE Jedi/Sith battles.  The big lightsaber battle in Attack of the Clones was super-fun at the time, but I'd like to see more.

You’re not going to get one of those huge battles if the Sith’s Stupid rule of 2 is in effect.

in Rise of Skywalker when Palpatine was prattling on about having all the Sith and then Rey having all the Jedi I thought wow well that’s gonna be lopsided thanks to the rule of 2. 

6 hours ago, Foley said:

At the risk of becoming a rumor mill myself, I'm seeing more and more evidence from various sources (some not just from the internet) that we will be getting a longer cut.

Lets hope they get time to release this longer 165, 185 or 192 min cut as rumors suggest. 

1 hour ago, Rip said:

At the risk of becoming a rumor mill myself, I'm seeing more and more evidence from various sources (some not just from the internet) that we will be getting a longer cut.

Lets hope they get time to release this longer 165, 185 or 192 min cut as rumors suggest. 

I’m really hoping for the 192 minute cut where just after Palpatine drains Rey and Kylo Ren of their life force, Baby Yoda comes flying into the joint and wrecks Palpy with the Force and kills him for good and then then sits on the throne sipping his soup.

I’ve heard the 185 minute cut is similliar in where it deviates from the theatrical release. When Palpatine is confronted by Rey and Ben Solo, Palpatine tells them “Young fools. Have you forgotten the rule of 2”. And out of the shadows steps Darth Jar Jar Binks.

Edited by Mephisto

The details on this situation are getting deep and logical from all these details.

4 cuts of the film with 6 different endings

And actors were cut out due to the changing stories, including Matt Smith and Hayden Christensen.

8 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I'm just going to pretend this sequel trilogy doesn't exist.  Star Wars ends with Return of the Jedi to me.  I feel there are many others that feel the same way.

I hear a lot of people saying this. There were a lot of cool parts in all the movies(imo) but for those of us that were kids in the late 70's thru the 80's, I don't think there was any way to make a new trilogy that lived up to those or exceed.

One thing is for certain. RoS certainly is less divisive with fans than TLJ was.

Edited by I like pie

Again this just seems like a hot mess that should end up squarely at the feet of Kennedy.  This was billed as the end of the Skywalker saga and this last film should have hit $2 billion.  However with Episode Vii basically being Episode IV (even though it did massive numbers) and then with the utter failing of Episode VIII and the scrambling to get Episode IX somewhat back on track Lucas films (Kennedy) squandered a huge opportunity.