• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS)

224 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

More than a few sites noted the big issue with Suicide Squad is Chinese sensitivity to Japan's Rising Sun symbol which was clearly displayed by Katana. The concern is the atrocities which occurred by the Japanese during WW II, and how such symbolism in the movie may convey support for what occurred.

Japan invaded China and most of the rest of the region multiple times over the last few centuries.  Japan's history of imperial expansion is long, and it's amazing how much they've redirected their focus as a society into economics and technology since World War 2.  So yea, China is still touchy about Japan, as is Korea and plenty of other countries in the region.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

Again this just seems like a hot mess that should end up squarely at the feet of Kennedy.  This was billed as the end of the Skywalker saga and this last film should have hit $2 billion.  However with Episode Vii basically being Episode IV (even though it did massive numbers) and then with the utter failing of Episode VIII and the scrambling to get Episode IX somewhat back on track Lucas films (Kennedy) squandered a huge opportunity.  

Not really. The Last Jedi was to finally give us full appearance Luke Skywalker again (as opposed to last panel cameo app.), the main reason we went to see any of these movies to begin with. The world flocked to Last Jedi to see Luke. At the end of the movie, Luke is no more. Rise of Skywalker thusly didn’t have the Luke Skywalker tease going for it. Matter of fact, Last Jedi left audiences with absolutely NOTHING to look forward to in the next movie as all our questions seemed to be answered, including Rey’s origin.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Japan invaded China and most of the rest of the region multiple times over the last few centuries.  Japan's history of imperial expansion is long, and it's amazing how much they've redirected their focus as a society into economics and technology since World War 2.  So yea, China is still touchy about Japan, as is Korea and plenty of other countries in the region.

I admit I’m not a culture expert, but perhaps Star Wars’ deep origins in Japan history and cinema, in addition to communist China’s decades long cultural isolation from American culture, can account for why China doesn’t like Star Wars.

The Jedi are basically intergalactic samurai. Their name is even derived from the a Japanese word “ jidaigeki”, which is period Japanese samurai theater drama. Jedi robes resemble the Japanese kimono. The Empire, while possessing hints of Western Fascism and Nazism, also resemble the Japanese Empire of the first half of the 20th century. Imperial Officers in Star Wars dress almost exactly like officers in the former Japanese Empire. Darth Vader’s helmet looks like a traditional samurai dress helmet.

Star Wars’ story has a majority of its influence from the movies of Japanese filmmaker Akira Kurosawa, particularly Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and Seven Samurai.

Star Wars has Japanese history and culture written all over it. If I were China, I probably wouldn’t like Star Wars either.

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Not really. The Last Jedi was to finally give us full appearance Luke Skywalker again (as opposed to last panel cameo app.), the main reason we went to see any of these movies to begin with. The world flocked to Last Jedi to see Luke. At the end of the movie, Luke is no more. Rise of Skywalker thusly didn’t have the Luke Skywalker tease going for it. Matter of fact, Last Jedi left audiences with absolutely NOTHING to look forward to in the next movie as all our questions seemed to be answered, including Rey’s origin.

Agree completely. A lot of momentum going in with little going out regardless of peoples opinion of the film, divisive as it was.

I still find it amazing that a film getting close or hitting $1B can be considered a disappointment - I know the expectation is higher but the days of Star Wars having a lock on spectacle ended a long, long time ago.