• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is Moon Knight so popular
2 2

30 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, bb8 said:

Jeff Lemire wrote an interesting run on Moon Knight that I've been meaning to go back and finish. It deals with his mental issues in connection with his perception of reality. Is what he experiencing real or is it just in his head? One of the things that I've felt holds the character back is the connection with Egyptology. That's just not cool or en vogue anymore; it is, in fact, pretty hokey. But I liked Lemire's take mostly because it tackles the 'hokiness' and leaves you guessing whether or not it's just an elaborate fantasy after all. I wonder if that's where they will go with the show? Delve into his madness and/or sanity?

After the recent Joker film, the timing for this is quite bad.

Jeff Lemire’s a good writer.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Basically a repost of what I said in the "Why is WBN 32 so expensive?" Thread .... Many of us contrarian oddballs hold Moonie in High regard....

I'm a Huge Moon Knight fan, and have nearly every Moon Knight book. He seems to have a cult like following of which I am a devoted acolyte. Some of his more recent runs have been wonderfully written such as the Lemire run. I enjoyed the Bemis run as well

Too the uninitiated I say sure Moon Knight is like Batman, if Batman had 1/10 the money and was 10 times crazier. Even that is disingenuous.

Moon Knight shares almost no character traits with Batman. Batman has issues he needs to work through Moon Knight is insane.

Bats to Iron Man is a more realistic comparison but that for another thread.

Moonie lacks the moral clarity of Batman and does not suffer from a boy scout complex.

There is nothing metaphysical to Batman or his powers, whereas Moon Knight believes himself to be the conduit of an Egyptian God with evidence to back up this claim. 

Moon Knight made his small fortune by killing people as a mercenary.  His struggles with DID/ MPD allow for his character development to go into a plethora of directions including the fact that there are four distinct characters within Moon Knight's being (Marc Spector, Jake Lockley, Steven Grant, and Moon Knight) One of which is a homicidal maniac another a normie financeer. He has no qualms about killing and Jake even enjoys dismembering and keeping limbs of vanquished foes. When fights are going south and Jake takes over things get fun.

I'm a Batman fan as well and think he is by far the best of the core DC/ JLA characters. 

I can see the surface comparison but with any amount of digging one can see these characters are drastically different.

A lot of people don't get Moon Knight and that's fine "It's not for you"

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

After the recent Joker film, the timing for this is quite bad.

Jeff Lemire’s a good writer.

Considering it came out 2-3  years before the said joker movie .... Your perception of the timing is "quite bad"

😉:foryou:

37 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Considering it came out 2-3  years before the said joker movie .... Your perception of the timing is "quite bad"

😉:foryou:

I was thinking about the upcoming show and that it might seem too similar to Joker, regarding psychosis.

I did quote and highlight too much of the post to make that clear, though.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I was thinking about the upcoming show, and that it might seem too similar to Joker. 

I did quote and highlight too much of the post to make that clear, though.

I can see that being an issue. There are a lot of directions the show can go in. I can't say I have all that much faith in Disney to do this thing properly.

I would have preferred Moon Knight remaining in obscurity. The series should be done with a certain level of macabre darkness and grit that I don't see Disney seeing as "commercially viable" especially with Disney+ as the distribution platform.

I'm also particularly sour due to the show announcement coming literally a few months before I planned to upgrade my WBN 32 4.0 raw copy to a 7.0 slab which I am now priced out of. :tonofbricks: 

As a kid, I remember distinctly feeling that Moonie looked like a badass.  Seriously, Stormshadow gets it, too -- you wear white head to toe when you're not easy to make bleed.  The color of ghosts.

I also appreciated that he wasn't overpowered, and yet was more than just a boring normal human with gadgets.

Lastly, as others have alluded, he's crazy.  Crazy chars who generally fight for the "good" side (a la Rorschach) are exceedingly fun to root for.

Edited by exitmusicblue

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Quick Perlin story.

My uncle is a cartoonist who lived next door to Perlin for many years.
I have a nice sketch by him because of it. So when the last Ghost Rider
movie came out the local theater gave him a personal screening of the 
movie with red ropes and all. My uncle said he loved the treatment.

He also told him any part of the motorcycle he couldn't draw he just put
flames on lol.

That’s great!

On 12/26/2019 at 12:52 PM, Lurker89 said:

I'm a Batman fan as well and think he is by far the best of the core DC/ JLA characters. 

I can see the surface comparison but with any amount of digging one can see these characters are drastically different.

For me, Moon Knight was the updated 1980 Marvel version of Batman especially with Sienkiewicz 'emulating' Neal Adams that I enjoyed as a kid. Possibly first Moon Knight published cover by Sienkiewicz March, 1980:

Km3UYve.jpg