• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC's 9.8 or higher only?

31 posts in this topic

Having never had a comic graded, or bought one that was, exactly what are the "exceptional" levels of CGC graded comics? I want to start my collection off the right way. And because of mainly using ebay, there's alot of scammers, etc out there. I've also got a Wichblade # 1 (First print- as all witchblades are) in it's pristeen mint condition. I was considering having it graded.

Thanks.

Josh

P.S.

I'm trying to get all 6 covers for Spawn's #100 issue, in at least 9.8 ( I guess ) , There is one on ebay now. I'm not sure it's going price. Is this what to excpect? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=718638356

ThAnKs AgaIn

Personally, I wouldn't pay very much for modern books..I'd say 30 dollars is the max you should pay on any of those Spawn 100's. What are you planning on doing with the Witchblade issue? You have to send a minimum of 4 books in for the modern tier and it'll take about a month and probably cost about 75 dollars..if the books come back in high enough grade..I guess it would be worthwhile.

Brian

For modern books, I would stay away from most books graded less then 9.8. Most modern books are very easy to find in high grade, but a 9.8 is an exceptional grade and it is hard to find even the most common modern book it that nice of condition. Brian is right, don't pay more then $30 for any of those Spawn 100s, there are a lot of 9.8 condition Spawn 100s out there, they are just hard to find because they haven't been graded yet. You are paying for the holder and the convience of not having to go through 100's of copies to find a really nice example. That being said, I think if you really like Spawn, that is a good first goal to have, just don't pay too much, there will always be another example available later.

As for getting comics graded yourself, unless you are sure it would grade 9.8, I wouldn't send most modern comics in. Also when sending comics in for gading yourself, you should send in as many comics as you can afford, or shipping costs will kill you.

Good luck, but be carful, or pretty soon you may find yourself trying to collect all the Spawn comics in 9.8 condition.

Thanks for the advice. It's a person_without_enough_empathy just starting off. I don't really mind grading them myself, I just don't see myself paying for un-mint books when that doesn't satisify me, I just end up re-buying them again later in mint-form. I bought Spawn # 1 four times, before I was satisifed. Due to the fact ebay sellers usally don't give good pictures of their comics. Or say that they are mint when their in fact good or so. Which is ok if I'm buying it to read, but not collect. Me and a few buddies have been trying to get into the comic buisness now for a while. We started saving money, but have yet to really worry about the comics. We still have 4 years left. So we thought best get started. We have plenty of money now, but that doesn't mean I don't want the best deal I can get. Also, is there any other place I can find mint copies of comics other than the likes of ebay?

_Josh_

P.S.

I'm sure my witchblade and spawn #1 would hit AT LEAST 9.8 Though, I don't really know how to grade them. The color is bright, and they`re are no signs of use anywhere. But I've never even seen a graded comic. So wouldn't really know what I was talking about.

As I stated in my first post, I live a good bit away from ANY convention smile.gif Plus, would I know what I was looking for? smile.gif So, stick with 9.8 or higher only? I think that's what I should do...God , I'm so picky. ha. smile.gif

Josh

Your best bet is to stick with 9.8's on (most) moderns, but on some books such as an AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #300 then good luck. You'll have to dish out atleast $350 to $550 for a 9.8. So it comes down to a book to book basis. I have plenty of 9.8 moderns, but have a good amount of 9.6's because a 9.8 in those cases were just plain ridiculous. smirk.gif

Just be an ebay "NUT" for a while and you can get a feel of the "value" of the stuff you like smile.gif Although I wouldn't rely on the prices on the Hulk & Daredevil related items selling as of now & in the near future.

Your best bet is to stick with 9.8's on (most) moderns, but on some books such as an AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #300 then good luck. You'll have to dish out atleast $350 to $550 for a 9.8. So it comes down to a book to book basis. I have plenty of 9.8 moderns, but have a good amount of 9.6's because a 9.8 in those cases were just plain ridiculous. smirk.gif

Just be an ebay "NUT" for a while and you can get a feel of the "value" of the stuff you like smile.gif Although I wouldn't rely on the prices on the Hulk & Daredevil related items selling as of now & in the near future.

Feel the need to post that twice? haha. Anyways, I'm still gonna buy that comic from you. ( Is the signature on the case or comic? ) and I want #'s 1-10 in at least 9.8. Spiderman # 300 I'm willing to settle for a less than 9.8 hah. I'm trying to get it before the next movie. Can't afford another damn jump. Is there any place online I can find backorders of comics? ( Where they ship them boarded and completely mint like they should be )

Thanks

Josh

The double post was accidental tongue.gif

Some others on this board would know smile.gif I rarely buy anything unslabbed unless it's from my local comic book store. About the CGC #300. If you snipe really well, you can pick up a 9.6 up for $100 like me laugh.gif Usually 9.6's sell for $100-$160.

If you like McFarlane as much as I do, check this baby out laugh.gif

lwf0001.jpgtongue.gif

We like it public. ha. Wanna know a secret rick? Maybe it's because Todd's one of my favs, but I liked his Spiderman Series better than the regular. ( Not storyline so much as the art though ). I don't even know all the issues he's worked on. I'm trying to get them though. I really liked spider-man comics. I'll never been a collector though. Paying all that money for a fair book. Half the cover missing! lol. I'll just read a friends. smile.gif

Josh

Yep, I'll be the first to say I liked McFarlane's gritty artwork on Venom and Spiderman. And his work on the Lizard was phenomenal..but...a little of that goes a long way in what is basically a fairly light-hearted series, ASM.

Brian