• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

February Heritage Auction Really Shaping Up!
2 2

366 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, O. said:

I, for one!

And where does Larsen's $14.4k "Lingerie MJ" fit in? hm 

Excellent hypothesis! It was certainly true for the McHulk page (thumbsu

Yup, this HA auction was their coming-out party :headbang:

Quick recap: Solid mid-week CLink followed by strong weekend HA auctions. OA market's still steaming ahead, especially for post-'80s stuff. Larsen, Keown and McHulk over-performed spectacularly, with Turner and AH! showing strength. Lee and Kubert X-Men also ticked upwards.

There is a McHulk splash coming up on the next CLINK.  It is the one that has recycled multiple times, maybe it finds a permanent home this time (shrug)

38 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

There is a McHulk splash coming up on the next CLINK.  It is the one that has recycled multiple times, maybe it finds a permanent home this time (shrug)

The one in the upcoming CLINK is far inferior to the one that just sold on HA.  Its like comparing apples to oranges.

2 hours ago, O. said:
  On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 10:12 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Who was expecting $50K on the ASM 340 cover?

I, for one!

Really?  If  you truly and honestly expected the ASM 340 cover to go for $50K, I'd like to hire you as my OA consigliare, to provide insight and guidance on OA purchases because information such as this is valuable.

6 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The one in the upcoming CLINK is far inferior to the one that just sold on HA.  Its like comparing apples to oranges.

I would 100% agree.  Even though this one is a splash, no comparison.  The full hulk image was amazing and the close up of his face was an epic representation of McFarlane's rendition of the hulk.  Any idea how many times this splash has been recycled?  I remember seeing it in various auctions multiple time but I am at that age where the memory isn't quite as good as it use to be.

19 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I would 100% agree.  Even though this one is a splash, no comparison.  The full hulk image was amazing and the close up of his face was an epic representation of McFarlane's rendition of the hulk.  Any idea how many times this splash has been recycled?  I remember seeing it in various auctions multiple time but I am at that age where the memory isn't quite as good as it use to be.

From what I can recall, this will be the 3rd time it’s up for auction.

it sold on HA is 2016 for $6.6K

Still wondering about an explanation for this Jim Aparo Phantom Stranger cover which went for $22,900 including Buyer's Premium. Up until this time, there has been a mediocre Phantom Stranger cover (no. 36) which the Donnelly's were trying to sell for $11,000 last year at the NJ Comic Art show, after Moy couldn't sell it for $8,000 beforehand (you can find it on CAF). Then, about 6 weeks ago or so, two other Aparo Phantom Stranger covers appeared on CAF (and are still listed), with one for $19,500 (also with Deadman) and one for $16,000. They are posted below, as well. Befsides that, there was nothing publicly offered for sale.

Were there private sales which somehow account for what I consider a significant increase from the Donnelly's pricing? Frankly, I like the one for for $16,000 best, and the one for $19,500 also has Deadman. Maybe I'm overreacting after reading the "shilling" thread, but something doesn't seem right to me. 

Original Comic Art:Covers, Jim Aparo Phantom Stranger #33 Cover Deadman Original Art (DC, 1974).... (Total: 2 Items)

This one is listed for $19,500

FOR SALE: Phantom Stranger 40 Cover Original Art (DC, 1976) Deadman Comic Art

This one is listed for $16,000

FOR SALE: Phantom Stranger 38 Cover Original Art (DC, 1975) Gothic Horror Comic Art

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

Still wondering about an explanation for this Jim Aparo Phantom Stranger cover which went for $22,900 including Buyer's Premium. Up until this time, there has been a mediocre Phantom Stranger cover (no. 36) which the Donnelly's were trying to sell for $11,000 last year at the NJ Comic Art show, after Moy couldn't sell it for $8,000 beforehand (you can find it on CAF). Then, about 6 weeks ago or so, two other Aparo Phantom Stranger covers appeared on CAF (and are still listed), with one for $19,500 (also with Deadman) and one for $16,000. They are posted below, as well. Befsides that, there was nothing publicly offered for sale.

Were there private sales which somehow account for what I consider a significant increase from the Donnelly's pricing? Frankly, I like the one for for $16,000 best, and the one for $19,500 also has Deadman. Maybe I'm overreacting after reading the "shilling" thread, but something doesn't seem right to me. 

Original Comic Art:Covers, Jim Aparo Phantom Stranger #33 Cover Deadman Original Art (DC, 1974).... (Total: 2 Items)

I know nothing about the phantom stranger market but I like the heritage one the best by far.

9 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Results for this auction was stronger than I expected.  Thought maybe the Corona/stock market/economy doubts might be in effect, but no sign of that.  At least not yet.

There is some truth to that. I was not completely surprised that some of the big item reserve pieces didn’t catch a trigger bid.

I guess people like me want to buy a page for a set price “outside” an auction setting. At auction I like to compete and find the final price hopefully within range of my expense account.

I do appreciate the quality of those items, gee the Hulk splash was pure history. I don’t think we should read too much into those reserve pieces not selling. Most of us I believe were startled by the reserve prices and expected to compete. They will all find homes and not necessarily at a huge discount from the ask prices.

We shall see.

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

This one is listed for $19,500

FOR SALE: Phantom Stranger 40 Cover Original Art (DC, 1976) Deadman Comic Art

This one is listed for $16,000

FOR SALE: Phantom Stranger 38 Cover Original Art (DC, 1975) Gothic Horror Comic Art

Buddy I think you might have contributed to a rising Phantom Stranger market. Your respect for the character has made even me look closer at the art. I’m not really suspicious about that auction result. Some items just have their day in the sun.

Also many items went higher then most budgets and I think 20 K is a typical wad that many collectors have budgeted. If certain wish pieces got away you might  see a collector get the Fever for one nice piece from that auction. Sure other comps(lower) or examples(better) May have existed. In the heat of battle bidders simply can lose their minds.

7 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Really?  If  you truly and honestly expected the ASM 340 cover to go for $50K, I'd like to hire you as my OA consigliare, to provide insight and guidance on OA purchases because information such as this is valuable.

I had it at $30 K ......Maybe $50 K was a bargain? I just didn’t see it. 

7 hours ago, grapeape said:

Buddy I think you might have contributed to a rising Phantom Stranger market. Your respect for the character has made even me look closer at the art. I’m not really suspicious about that auction result. Some items just have their day in the sun.

Also many items went higher then most budgets and I think 20 K is a typical wad that many collectors have budgeted. If certain wish pieces got away you might  see a collector get the Fever for one nice piece from that auction. Sure other comps(lower) or examples(better) May have existed. In the heat of battle bidders simply can lose their minds.

Part of me has been concerned about that, but if it gets him into living books and new stories, that”s not bad. In truth, I know Didio was a fan (as is Neil Adams and Bruce Timm), so the increased attention lately may be waning. Besides, these days, I focus more on the character’s newer appearances.

I know there are people who consider 20k a wad that they have no difficulty spending, But, a lot of people do, and don’t spend it. I could, but I won’t, and that certainly includes an Aparo cover. I follow public information fairly closely, and that final price is a big jump from any public sale of a PS Aparo cover beforehand. And to sell for more than the Adams cover? If the auction had come first, and then the CAF pieces were listed, that would at least be logical. This is not, unless there have been private sales to justify the amount which I can’t factor in.

Before the auction ended, I had a chance encounter with the owner of the Adams’ cover. When I pointed out the price differential of the bids, he shook his head. Adams is consequential. Aparo is merely good (or great depending on personal taste). Big difference. We then had a discussion about shilling (including Mike’s admission). So no, I do not accept the idea this is simply the result of overheated bidding without evidence to the contrary.

12 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I know nothing about the phantom stranger market but I like the heritage one the best by far.

I concede that my judgment is a bit harsh about the cover to no. 33,  but that is because I am familiar with the cover to no. 41 (whereabouts not known) which I think is much better. This is a printed version:

Item #50715388 Front Cover: Phantom Stranger #41 VF 8.0

Edited by Rick2you2

38 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I concede that my judgment is a bit harsh about the cover to no. 33,  but that is because I am familiar with the cover to no. 41 (whereabouts not known) which I think is much better. This is a printed version:

I absolutely hate the later covers in the run!

54 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

That one is definitely better 

5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Part of me has been concerned about that, but if it gets him into living books and new stories, that”s not bad. In truth, I know Didio was a fan (as is Neil Adams and Bruce Timm), so the increased attention lately may be waning. Besides, these days, I focus more on the character’s newer appearances.

I know there are people who consider 20k a wad that they have no difficulty spending, But, a lot of people do, and don’t spend it. I could, but I won’t, and that certainly includes an Aparo cover. I follow public information fairly closely, and that final price is a big jump from any public sale of a PS Aparo cover beforehand. And to sell for more than the Adams cover? If the auction had come first, and then the CAF pieces were listed, that would at least be logical. This is not, unless there have been private sales to justify the amount which I can’t factor in.

Before the auction ended, I had a chance encounter with the owner of the Adams’ cover. When I pointed out the price differential of the bids, he shook his head. Adams is consequential. Aparo is merely good (or great depending on personal taste). Big difference. We then had a discussion about shilling (including Mike’s admission). So no, I do not accept the idea this is simply the result of overheated bidding without evidence to the contrary.

It could be overheated bidding. It could be that cover was a grail for the winner. We can’t go directly to shill.

My concern with throwing shill out every time we don’t understand a bidding history we are doing the devils work. Bad actors creating doubt yes but just do your homework. No matter what I hear as disciplined plans to know FMV and not overspend, I hear the laments of those who break their own rules everyday and show me an example where they went crazy.

Think of the consignor selling that piece. Probably not thrilled to hear murmurs of impropriety. 

With eyes wide open I would trust my gut if I thought an auction was tainted. I would however be careful of the things I say without proof.

Now for those who think shenanigans and price manipulation are one offs or not that bad you can see how it effects the credibility of auctions today.

Let’s make the new owner of the Aparo Cover King or Queen of the Day. If you’re out there please chime in. What motivated you to go hard for this one? I can’t believe out of all the art that we have to ponder the Aparo price mystery looms so intriguing.