• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2020
1 1

670 posts in this topic

287 to 324

The Steve Ditko Archives

As you’ll see, I was a bit disappointed with these.  Thankfully, I got them cheap in a ComiXology digital sale.

Equivalent to 38 issues.

Vol 2 - Unexplored Worlds 210 pages

Vol 3 - Mysterious Traveler 225 pages

Vol 4 - Impossible Tales 225 pages

Vol 5 - Dripping With Fear 200 pages

Vol 6 - Outer Limits 200 pages

(Science fiction, horror, mystery, western, none of the DC-owned super-heroes.)

Certainly, there’s some very good artwork in here, but I’d dispute the claim that it’s the best of Ditko’s entire career. His work at Marvel (their science-fiction, monster and mystery stories from the same period) is far superior, as are Spider-Man and Dr Strange later on.  And, to place this Charlton material above the black-and-white masterpieces that he created for Warren magazines, along with their great Archie Goodwin stories, is absolutely laughable.

There’s also a degree of misdirection in the presentation, for example, Volume 6, Outer Limits.  The title, along with a futuristic space cover, implies at first glance that the collection is going to be science-fiction orientated.  A pity then, that 50 pages, about a quarter of the contents, are dedicated to a boring, western, Champion the Wonder Horse clone called Black Jack.

Ditko’s artwork aside, there’s nothing positive to be said about this run. The stories are non-stop, tenth-rate, mind-numbing drivel, and there wasn’t one that ended up with a remotely interesting or surprising conclusion. Stan Lee’s stories are on another, higher level entirely to this huge pile of dross.

I’ll apply the EC ‘1 issue = 28 pages rule’ here, and, well-deserved after trudging through over a thousand pages of literary garbage.

I thought Scalped was an excellent crime story, but I don't have the personal connection and insight that you have with the other, social components of the storyline.  Thanks for sharing. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/4/2020 at 5:45 AM, Raze said:

378-384

DCeased 1-6 and A Good Day to Die 1

This was Awesome! I highly recommend this if you havent read it! The story and art were both awesome!

Ill be reading unkillables this week!

46FA4964-CF44-4F41-A69D-46CFA62C856F.jpeg

A series that's on my reading list.

887-922

Secret Six 1-36

I just finished Secret Six 1-36 and overall I found it a fun book.   Having D-listers take center stage is one of my favorite types of story to read.   Of the main characters, I was only familiar with Bane and Deadshot, and even that knowledge was limited.  I knew Bane was a muscular mastermind, and Deadshot was a complete mercenary who was usually stuck with the Suicide Squad.   The others were complete mysteries to me.   

One thing that was somewhat shocking initially was the causal murder and death in the book.  It was an almost Garth Ennis level of murder and mutilation which surprised me in what I thought was a mainstream book.   Most of the time it didn’t really bother me, but I found a couple scenes disturbing as causal deaths of innocents that can really be upsetting to me.  It wasn’t like it didn’t fit with the story though.  The main characters are murderers, mercenaries, and maniacs.   They have complicated moralities and often do horrible things without conscience.   The only time they seem to really restrain themselves is when they’ve made a promise to a fellow teammate, and even then that is not a guarantee.   

As I said previously, I enjoyed the series, though the depiction of Bane threw me off for much of the series.   I’m still processing what it was about him that didn’t work for me, but he just didn’t match what I had in my head of how Bane would act.  This was only really an issue for me early in the series.  By the end though, I had grown used to him.   The series did really elevate Deadshot for me.  I enjoyed almost every scene with him.  He felt like the most realistic of the characters in many ways as he was a villain, but usually wasn’t unnecessarily cruel. His friendship with Catman was fun to read and by the end of the series I had gained a new appreciation for the character.

The only other quibble I had was that some of the story arcs had a weird sense of timing.  I found myself hoping for more story in many instances.  The one-shot stories were big examples of this.  I felt like the Island story could have been stretched out an issue or two, but it was all wrapped up by the end of the issue.  I felt like the last story was going to have a longer build but it abruptly ended Wild Bunch style, and while it worked, I felt like I was missing a piece.   Maybe that was a testament to Gail Simone’s writing.   She left me wanting more. 

Overall the series was worth the read.  The writing and art worked well together and I found myself really enjoying characters who were pretty bottom of the barrel.  I see that there was another series that came out after one of the big DC reboots.  I may have to hunt that one down as well and see what Catman and co. have been up to. 

3B0E8758-4C1B-4408-848F-9B4D8A6AB36E.jpeg

Definitely been awhile, but here goes.

#'s 320-326

Scooby Doo Team-Up Volume 6 TPB:

Collects issues #'s 31-36

Really wish they still had this series going. Scooby and the gang team up with Atom, Atom Ant, The Legion of Super Heroes, Batgirl/Huntress, Yogi Bear, and Angel O' Day/Sam Simeon.

Scooby Doo #105 (2010 Series):

I wish they still had two new stories each month and not one reprint from a older series (especially since they only publish a new copy every two months now.)

362 to 380

Secret Wars Part 4 -  Avengers World 1 to 14, 17 to 21 (19 issues)

A series co-written by Jonathan Hickman and Nick Spencer, basically emphasising the bigger, more powerful, more varied evolution of the team throughout the build-up to Secret Wars, with three world-level events, different in nature, occurring simultaneously; one science-based, another a magical threat, and finally a gigantic Marvel Monster.

The best story is the struggle between Roberto da Costa, Sunspot, together with his bro, Sam Guthrie, Cannonball, against Andrew Forson, Scientist (and megalomaniac) Supreme of AIM.

The magical threat story is okay, the giant monster’s a bit silly, although in the latter Shang-Chi kicks arse, something you can always depend upon.

Two issues, 15 and 16 were missed out as they digress away into another event series, Axis.

Worth a read.

923-925

Fantastic Four 533-535

I saw a review of this story on Twitter and realized they were sitting in my collection.  It was a great lead up to Planet Hulk and some great writing of Ben Grimm as he fights the Hulk with a lot of understanding of what it means to be a monster.   Some really great writing  on these. I recommend any fans of the Hulk or Thing to check them out.  

F12873BF-97D9-4282-918A-360CC0143784.jpeg

Edited by Talapas1

4 hours ago, Talapas1 said:

923-925

Fantastic Four 533-535

I saw a review of this story on Twitter and realized they were sitting in my collection.  It was a great lead up to Planet Hulk and some great writing of Ben Grimm as he fights the Hulk with a lot of understanding of what it means to be a monster.   Some really great writing  on these. I recommend any fans of the Hulk or Thing to check them out.  

F12873BF-97D9-4282-918A-360CC0143784.jpeg

Strangely enough, I'm just in the process of reading Planet Hulk and World War Hulk again.

(Another pure coincidence, as with X-Statix before.)

They are good books.  Interesting version of The Hulk, with a strong resemblance to Tor Johnson in some panels.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I was able to get some reading done this week. First was the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser TPB, which is a compilation of the 5 issue mini series from the 70s, "Sword of Sorcery." Fun, short fantasy series with self-contained stories, recommended if you like Conan. I never read the novels, but they're on my list.

Next up was Vision the Complete Collection. This was highly recommended in this thread. I must say, it was one of the best stories I've read recently. Very well written. A superhero series with only a few pages of fight scenes but an incredibly engaging and unique story.

Read 02.jpg

Read 01.jpg

On 10/11/2020 at 10:17 PM, srezvan said:

Read 02.jpg

Read 01.jpg

I think I have the Leiber comics someWhere in the collection. May have to dust them off.   
That vision series sounds interesting.  I’ll be adding that to my never ending to-read list.  

926-928

Strange Academy 1-3

I’d heard someone good things about this series and just recently was able to find and purchase them.   I gotta say that the hype was deserved.  This one is now added to my pull list.  I’m a sucker for new heroes (and otherwise) leaning about their abilities and how to survive in the world.  This one is pretty fun and a needed break from some of the more standard superhero fare.  It’s totally worth checking out.      

7ED24422-11F1-497D-ACA7-FAD8B68A0B47.jpeg

On 10/11/2020 at 10:17 PM, srezvan said:

Read 02.jpg

Read 01.jpg

I think I have the Leiber comics somewhere in the collection. May have to dust them off.   
That vision series sounds interesting.  I’ll be adding that to my never ending to-read list.  

I just finished "Saga of the Swamp Thing" book 1, which includes the first 8 issues of Alan Moore's run. This was recommended on this board. I had never read ANY Swamp Thing comics before this. I knew nothing of the character. I knew there was a not so great movie and a not so great cartoon some time ago, but the recent series was well received. I'll put my review the spoiler tag as to not ruin the plot for anyone.

Spoiler

Starting with "Loose Ends," it wasn't terribly hard to figure out what was going on. Plot threads needed to be closed so Moore could get started, which is understandable. "The Anatomy Lesson" was next, and, no exaggeration, I think this was one of my favorite issues of any comic ever. Great storytelling, plot, and background of who the Swamp Thing really is...or isn't. After that, it went down hill very fast for me. All the supernatural plot lines with the supporting cast, Blood/Demon, Monkey King, talking fly...just too much for me. It's not my style. I think I'm going to stop here with the series and keep the fond new memories I have of "The Anatomy Lesson" and avoid the ongoing supernatural plot lines.

20201016_102051.jpg