• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Amazing Spiderman 6
1 1

46 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:

Yes, and yours has the same colour break issues, but in he green area. Showing me that pic further confirms that a 7.0 may be too optimistic. Definitely would not call it solid. Plus, yours has a spine split at the bottom, don't know if that spidey 14 has that too. 

Yes mine has the breaks in the same area but only about 20% as many and not as deep.  This 14 is also going quite off white.  I've seen the whole pic of the 14 and I think they are not comparable.  I agree about the slit but its small and unobtrusive.

You could argue mine has corner bends etc that count but overall it looks much more appealing.  Visual appeal does count.  I've seen CGC 6.5s with all sorts of issues including small chunks missing from covers.

12 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

How about instead you check if you find a 7.0 with colour breaks, rounded corners, creases along the spine, folded corner and spine split at the bottom?

Sure - a few issues but very mild.  Very very mild.  You're discounting eye appeal..?  If you look at the 6.5s I've posted they are more worn than mine - some of them quite a bit.

I'm not planning on selling it any time soon so I'm not talking it up but on the other hand I've got OK eyesight :)

11 hours ago, Deadpoolica said:

It might go for a little more or less I don't know how the market truly sees them, I know some consider them more rare & a lot of people enjoy collecting the pence copies

A word on scarcity for this book. I just checked the census. There are only 40 pence variant ASM 6 in the census (nothing higher than an 8), compared to 2242 cents copies. Expressed as a percentage that makes the pence variants 1.75% of the total graded copies. I'm calling that scarce.

Nice find. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, rakehell said:

A word on scarcity for this book. I just checked the census. There are only 40 pence variant ASM 6 in the census (nothing higher than an 8), compared to 2242 cents copies. Expressed as a percentage that makes the pence variants 1.75% of the total graded copies. I'm calling that scarce.

Nice find. (thumbsu

Thanks very much Rake.  In this thread this book has been heavily criticised.  I think this is in lovely condition and way better than the CGC 6.5s I've posted on this thread - even the same book. 

Edited by mike devon

1 hour ago, mike devon said:

Thanks very much Rake.  In this thread this book has been heavily criticised.  I think this is in lovely condition and way better than the CGC 6.5s I've posted on this thread - even the same book. 

They always say grading is subjective, but I think it's a nice book. Way better than the one just above. I'd submit it just to see where it fall on the census. You're almost guaranteed a top 10.

Nice find anyway. Good luck with it. :headbang:

1 minute ago, rakehell said:

They always say grading is subjective, but I think it's a nice book. Way better than the one just above. I'd submit it just to see where it fall on the census. You're almost guaranteed a top 10.

Nice find anyway. Good luck with it. :headbang:

Yeah cheers.  Purely out of interest what would you give it..?  I'm saying solid 7 at least..?

2 hours ago, mike devon said:

Yeah cheers.  Purely out of interest what would you give it..?  I'm saying solid 7 at least..?

I'd say 7 all day long. If your grader was having a bad day, he might drop it to a 6.5. There's what looks like a tiny spine tear on your image of the back cover. That worries me a little. 6.5 seems to be a popular number; there are 4 in the census, but only one each at 7 & 7.5 & two 8s.

8 minutes ago, rakehell said:

I'd say 7 all day long. If your grader was having a bad day, he might drop it to a 6.5. There's what looks like a tiny spine tear on your image of the back cover. That worries me a little. 6.5 seems to be a popular number; there are 4 in the census, but only one each at 7 & 7.5 & two 8s.

Yeah small spine split - 3mm..?  Will manually press in I think - very unobtrusive.  I wonder about value if a 7 - £1500 or so..?  I didn't buy it to sell but I'm interested to know.

It may be scarcer but that means nothing to me personally. I consider it a foreign comic. Not from North America. I kind of want my North American copy. Say book A was a cents copy and in the same grade as copy B which was a pence copy. I would value the pence copy less and even then, my eyes would be on purchasing the cents copy. Not saying this is how it is for all collectors, but for me that's what I focus on. 

10 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

It may be scarcer but that means nothing to me personally. I consider it a foreign comic. Not from North America. I kind of want my North American copy. Say book A was a cents copy and in the same grade as copy B which was a pence copy. I would value the pence copy less and even then, my eyes would be on purchasing the cents copy. Not saying this is how it is for all collectors, but for me that's what I focus on. 

I'm the same I prefer cents but they are literally from the same print run.  There is serious thought the pence ones may have been run off first.  The thing that I think makes this one so great/desirable is the low number key in this condition.  I'd expect it to be 30% off US price value - maybe bit less as its so nice.

Edited by mike devon
spellin'

4 hours ago, mike devon said:

I'm the same I prefer cents but they are literally from the same print run.  There is serious thought the pence ones may have been run off first.  The thing that I think makes this one so great/desirable is the low number key in this condition.  I'd expect it to be 30% off US price value - maybe bit less as its so nice.

Generally you're right, pence copies sell for 50% to 70% of their cent cousins but if the book is really hot I've seen them sell for close to the US versions. At the moment that would be FF 4, ASM 6, not so much.

Regarding the grade, hesitantly in lieu of sharper pictures, I'll go 7.5.

Thanks guys.  Here's CGCs own guide:

VF 7.5 - An above-average collectible with a moderate defect or an accumulation of small defects.

VF 8 - An attractive collectible with a moderate defect or an accumulation of small defects.

So having previously agreed with 7 I think 7.5 is very reasonable.  I might submit it and get it pressed.  I just bought it and don't have it yet so of course I've got to carefully check it over myself but I don't expect anything drastic to be revealed - I got a condition report on it before I bought it.