• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Fresh To Market" Phenomenon
1 1

26 posts in this topic

"Fresh to Market",unless you're talking about food, is nothing more than hucksterism (or salesmanship if you're more kind than I am). It means nothing and is just a way to hype in order to entice a buyer to bite down on the hook. Some sellers here have used that term or the terms "New to Market" or "Never before Offered" in the comics sales forum. Even OO (original owner) doesn't really mean anything. All of these are just marketing terms, nothing more. "Pedigree" may or may not mean something depending on the hobby reputation of the particular ped. 

22 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

"Fresh to Market",unless you're talking about food, is nothing more than hucksterism (or salesmanship if you're more kind than I am). It means nothing and is just a way to hype in order to entice a buyer to bite down on the hook. Some sellers here have used that term or the terms "New to Market" or "Never before Offered" in the comics sales forum. Even OO (original owner) doesn't really mean anything. All of these are just marketing terms, nothing more. "Pedigree" may or may not mean something depending on the hobby reputation of the particular ped. 

"Fresh to Market" doesn't entice me to buy; it does tell me I won't find a prior history of sales on the piece. That's useful information, and might mean the price for sale of the piece can vary more than pieces which are a little shopworn. Unless the Bros. have it.

Any factor that can be used to persuade a potential buyer can create value. Fresh to market. Oversized. Only time artist drew ___ character. Key story line. Extra art on the back. Claws popped. etc. ... the list is unending. The seller can always come up with things to try and make the sale more desirable but the buyer agrees or disagrees with their wallet. Fresh to market doesn't hold a lot of value to me, but if a page I really want pops up and I sense that I might have to jump a little higher to get it before it sells quickly - I might just jump. A little. Not a lot. 

21 hours ago, cstojano said:

My favorite are sales posts that threaten to put the piece back in the vault for another 20 years if someone isn't smart enough to overpay now. 

Ha, ha, ha!  Actually, I lean towards doing this myself when periodically posting art For Sale on CAF, though with me I simply don't like leaving stuff up indefinitely.  If no takers after several months I remove the listings.  Not saying anything's going back in the vault for 20 years though . . . more a case of realizing that, "Stale is not good!"

Currently losing its freshness:

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=201959

Edited by The Voord