• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What causes a book to get GLOD?
1 1

66 posts in this topic

I've a number of double and triple cover GLODs and  only purchased them because double cover SA.DC Adventures are hard to find. When my downsizing hits the multicover boxes, they will be the first to go.

The only one that makes my semi-permanent collection is an witnessed Paul Gulacy, which is #1 of 2500.

So, an update for those who care.....

The FF #52 in question graded out at a QUALIFIED 4.0, due to a missing page 3, which doesn't affect the story.  

FMV for a Universal 4.0 FF #52 is right now about $400.  I spent $300, and had judged the book at about a 4.0 or 4.5 from the eBay photos.  Note that the photos included shots of the interior, but nothing that would have hinted at the missing page 3.  Still, I'm going to assume the seller missed it as well.

Given that I'll like be able to recoup about $200 on a resale with the GLOD, I requested that the seller split the difference and refund me $50, which I think is more than fair.

We'll see what he says.

On 1/22/2020 at 8:45 AM, RonS2112 said:

Called CGC.....the rep was very nice, but couldn't offer any more insight, as the book is being slabbed now.  So I'll know in a day or two.

Now I've got to decide if I circle back with the seller......

I would wager it's because of that staple tape. I can't remember the exact verbiage, and too lazy to look, but CGC's grading rules regarding tape state they will grade the book as best they can, ignoring the tape, and making a determination about it's purpose and then grade the book accordingly. If it wasn't qualified green, they'd likely nail you with a lower grade based on the tape possibly covering a spine split/staple pull. 

*edit* Just saw the update. Page 3 missing!? That's an automatic 0.5 blue label. 

Edited by agamoto
didn't see update.

2 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

....or a 4.0 GLOD, apparently.  It doesn't affect the story....(shrug)

I guess there's some solace in knowing your grading was pretty darn spot on, which can be tough at those grades, but you missed the page count. A good reminder for us all to be careful before submitting.

1 minute ago, agamoto said:

I guess there's some solace in knowing your grading was pretty darn spot on, which can be tough at those grades, but you missed the page count. A good reminder for us all to be careful before submitting.

Absolutely.....in the run-up to the holidays, I was less diligent in page count than I would have been otherwise.  And honestly, I was excited about what I THOUGHT was a great deal.  Lesson learned.