• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

87% where? lol

That would be the Rise of Skywalker RT Audience Score when Disney worked with RT to lock this in permanently. :baiting:

Meanwhile, Captain Marvel Rotten Tomatoes Critic Score (Top Critic vs All Critics)...

CM_RT_critics.PNG.a3dd2eeaf5e4013afdf2a0a5a5732ffe.PNG

Edited by Bosco685

33 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

87% where? lol

Ticket sales are meaningless when the movie piggybacked on Infinity War's post-credit scene.

I told everyone it's mediocre. They still wanted to see the tie-in. So, your theory is meaningless when it comes to a franchise like this.

Again, you keep using the word "hate", when the highs and lows are the extreme minority for this film. It's textbook mediocrity.

Hah - you're right. 78%, not 87%. My pre-coffee brain transposed the numbers.

But again, still regarded as a better film than Thor, Thor 2, Iron Man 2, etc.

And the film's financial results are *far* from "textbook mediocrity" when it out-performed such films as Episode IX and Spider-Man: Far From Home.

Or are you forgetting that, pre-release, a significant number of comic fans both here and on Reddit were predicting Captain Marvel would do "Doctor Strange numbers" - i.e., closer to $250 million domestic / $450 million international.

It did $1.1 bn., not $700 million - equivalent to Captain America; Civil War numbers, which was actually sold as an "Avengers v. Avengers" film (not a "must-see-Avengers prelude"), and one with mother-flipping Spider-Man to boot.

That's not mediocre by any stretch.

Hell - it's like some of y'all think Kevin Feige stole yo' damn lunch money with this film.

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

And the film's financial results are *far* from "textbook mediocrity" when it out-performed such films as Episode IX and Spider-Man: Far From Home.

Or are you forgetting that, pre-release, a significant number of comic fans both here and on Reddit were predicting Captain Marvel would do "Doctor Strange numbers" - i.e., closer to $250 million domestic / $450 million international.

It did $1.1 bn., not $700 million - equivalent to Captain America; Civil War numbers, which was actually sold as an "Avengers v. Avengers" film (not a "must-see-Avengers prelude"), and one with mother-flipping Spider-Man to boot.

Hell - it's like some of y'all think Kevin Feige stole yo' damn lunch money with this film.

You keep falling back on this straw-man argument. Show me 1 time I've suggested that the financial results are mediocre.

21 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

You don't know that.

Occam's Razor - the simplest reason is likely the best.

The fact is, Captain Marvel was a blockbuster with excellent fan reception. Maybe not by "comic book fans," but by the public at large.

And every indication given by the studio is they are going to capitalize on that success with a second blockbuster film that is set to be a backdoor Avengers movie in the same way that Captain America: Civil War was.

And yet, the 4-5 negative voices in this thread have to tie themselves into knots to both justify and wish away its unequivocal success.

• "It only did so well because it was marketed as a tie-in to Avengers" (a. you can't prove a negative. b. I think it was sold as a fun galactic adventure, a la Guardians. And would have done just as well post-Endgame. Again, can't prove that either, so it's moot.)
  • "The positive critical rating was only because Disney's bought off the critics" (:roflmao:)
  • "It only did so well because comic book fans pre-bought tickets for multiple showings before they knew it was ."
  • "It only did so well because I hated it, but went back again to see it anyway with different groups of friends."

At the end of the day, the film doesn't need SilverMane, or me, or anyone else to defend its success.

Its success speaks for itself.

Well Stated...
All of us have our "own" opinion on a movie be it loved it, liked it, disliked it, hated it...so on.   I really could care less what other people thought of "Captain Marvel".  I form "my own" opinions when I watch a movie just like I hope everyone else does.
Fact is, it is a "block buster" success! That is indisputable regardless of the reasons.  I also believe that if the movie and Brie Larson were as bad as some people's opinions were stated, I think there is no way the movie would have done as well as it did....Just "my opinion".
I happened to "REALLY ENJOY" watching Captain Marvel and loved Brie Larson's performance in it.  She made it light hearted in some scenes.   I think she is the perfect actress to be playing Captain Marvel.....Just "my opinion".   
I greatly look forward to the next Captain Marvel movie.  (It can't get here soon enough..just need this Covid crisis behind us).

Edited by musicmeta

6 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

You seem to try to prove the majority loved this film like you produced, directed and starred in the film. Wait. Goose - that you?

goose01.gif.68f4196a3a93d78824228b96eefc3a29.gif

Many really enjoyed Captain Marvel. Some thought it was okay. And then there are those that either didn't care for the story or the character portrayal. Time will tell if that changes either way.

14 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Well Stated...
All of us have our "own" opinion on a movie be it loved it, liked it, disliked it, hated it...so on.   I really could care less what other people thought of "Captain Marvel".  I form "my own" opinions when I watch a movie just like I hope everyone else does.
Fact is, it is a "block buster" success! That is indisputable regardless of the reasons.  I also believe that if the movie and Brie Larson were as bad as some people's opinions were stated, I don't there is no way the movie would have done as well as it did....Just "my opinion".
I happened to "REALLY ENJOY" watching Captain Marvel and loved Brie Larson's performance in it.  She made it light hearted in some scenes.   I think she is the perfect actress to be playing Captain Marvel.....Just "my opinion".   
I greatly look forward to the next Captain Marvel movie.  (It can't get here soon enough..just need this Covid crisis behind us).

Unfortunately, not that as simple a scenario.

When some have noted they disliked the film (not referring to the more extreme dislike engagements), they have been declared haters and anti-feminist. Are you really assuming those details, and celebrating that type debating? I doubt it from your previous posts.

So what has gone above and beyond is the annoyance with these few that want to declare everyone as haters and anti-feminist when the simple truth is every film or TV show will have fans and non-fans. Trying to force them into a negative stereotype so as to detract from their opinions is a nasty business.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Unfortunately, not that as simple a scenario.

When some have noted they disliked the film (not referring to the more extreme dislike engagements), they have been declared haters and anti-feminist. Are you really assuming those details, and celebrating that type debating? I doubt it from your previous posts.

So what has gone above and beyond is the annoyance with these few that want to declare everyone as haters and anti-feminist when the simple truth is every film or TV show will have fans and non-fans. Trying to force them into a negative stereotype so as to detract from their opinions is a nasty business.

No, that was not my intent at all.  You set it best.. movies will have fans and non-fans and that's how I look at it.  

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You seem to try to prove the majority loved this film like you produced, directed and starred in the film. Wait. Goose - that you?

goose01.gif.68f4196a3a93d78824228b96eefc3a29.gif

Many really enjoyed Captain Marvel. Some thought it was okay. And then there are those that either didn't care for the story or the character portrayal. Time will tell if that changes either way.

Yes, and there are also those that had/have an agenda against what Captain Marvel represents and against Brie Larson's #MeToo and diversity activism, no matter the quality of the film. To say that view doesn't spill over into these forums where the majority demographic is male might be overlooking the obvious. Some of the past hateful comments I've seen here in these forums directed at Captain Marvel/Brie Larson don't come from an opinion of "I thought the movie was a 7.0". Those past comments come from someplace else.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yes, and there are also those that had/have an agenda against what Captain Marvel represents and against Brie Larson's #MeToo and diversity activism, no matter the quality of the film. To say that view doesn't spill over into these forums where the majority demographic is male might be overlooking the obvious. Some of the past hateful comments I've seen here in these forums directed at Captain Marvel/Brie Larson don't come from an opinion of "I thought the movie was a 7.0". Those past comments come from someplace else.

:roflmao:

Can you prove this allegation?

11 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

No, that was not my intent at all.  You set it best.. movies will have fans and non-fans and that's how I look at it.  

:foryou:

I look forward to seeing if the sequel new director and story potentially bringing on even more fans. I rewatch most of the other MCU films.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

:foryou:

I look forward to seeing if the sequel new director and story potentially bringing on even more fans. I rewatch most of the other MCU films.

To accomplish this, they will need to tell a compelling and comprehensive 'solo' story - not make it a team-up film. 2c

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Like you have noted previously, you are responding to the hate coming from outside sources and assuming there must be people on here with the same mindset.

But are they really in the same boat when they note enjoying Brie Larson in other roles - to include recently in Kong: Skull Island, Unicorn Store or even Scott Pilgrim? I think with the former and latter she is fantastic.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

:roflmao:

Can you prove this allegation?

I'd rather not single any single member out, theCapraAegagrus, but it's there. If I tend to get overzealous in my support of Captain Marvel in these forums, it's often in response to what I see as an overzealous hate for Captain Marvel/Brie Larson, which again, doesn't come from a "I give the movie a 6.5/7.0" place.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'd rather not single any single member out, theCapraAegagrus, but it's there. If I tend to get overzealous in my support of Captain Marvel in these forums, it's often in response to what I see as an overzealous hate for Captain Marvel/Brie Larson, which again, doesn't come from a "I give the movie a 6.5/7.0" place.

So... No. Got it.

I think that "hate" and the ability to properly assume someone else's "place" have escaped your understanding (regarding this topic, at least). 2c

8 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

To accomplish this, they will need to tell a compelling and comprehensive 'solo' story - not make it a team-up film. 2c

I agree, and odds are we won't know, because the next film will also be a team-up.

However, how would you feel if in the next film, they set the table to have Monica Rambeau take over as Captain Marvel, phasing Brie and Carol out?

I'm not against it. In fact, i think it could be a compelling story if Carol died in battle while saving the world, leading to Rambeau to take up the mantle.

12 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Winter Soldier was a team-up movie, and it brought Steve Rogers to a whole new level. Lately, all the MCU have been team-up movies, but they can still give emphasis to the main character. Ragnarok is another example. It was practically an old school Defenders movie, but also redefined who Thor is in the MCU.

16 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Explain to me how the Transformers films are somehow excellent in ways that my feeble mind just failed to comprehend, especially chapters 3, 4, and 5.

Please use small words, if you can. I went to public school.

I really liked the first Transformers movie and the last one (Bumblebee).

I did not like the rest.

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

I agree, and odds are we won't know, because the next film will also be a team-up.

However, how would you feel if in the next film, they set the table to have Monica Rambeau take over as Captain Marvel, phasing Brie and Carol out?

I'm not against it. In fact, i think it could be a compelling story if Carol died in battle while saving the world, leading to Rambeau to take up the mantle.

It would have to make sense. I'm not sure how they would accomplish this.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Winter Soldier was a team-up movie, and it brought Steve Rogers to a whole new level. Lately, all the MCU have been team-up movies, but they can still give emphasis to the main character. Ragnarok is another example. It was practically an old school Defenders movie, but also redefined who Thor is in the MCU.

You keep claiming that it's going to be 'Civil War level', though. The Winter Soldier is nothing like a team-up. It's akin to Iron Man 2.