• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

V1 #1 1953 Playboy - Grading Tips?

20 posts in this topic

you can send it to a pro to see if they can remove that restoration if you want a blue label, but keep in mind with spine split glued together, CT and glue on page your probably going to easily drop out of the 4.0 on it to a 2.0 I would guess or less not sure. CCS also does this type of work you can send it to them as well and see what they say. 

Welcome to the boards

19 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

you can send it to a pro to see if they can remove that restoration if you want a blue label, but keep in mind with spine split glued together, CT and glue on page your probably going to easily drop out of the 4.0 on it to a 2.0 I would guess or less not sure. CCS also does this type of work you can send it to them as well and see what they say. 

Welcome to the boards

C = amateur restoration which also = damage if attempting to remove.

The OP wants to improve the grade.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

1 hour ago, borntodeal said:

Hey friends, thank you so much for these suggestions. Which service do I order? I'm fairly new to using CGC's non-grading services such as restoring. Which service is best to order?

I haven't ever had a comic restored, but CCS (sister brand of CGC) is a reputable restorer. You may want to inquire other professionals, though. From the CCS section of CGC's home page:

If you think your comic book would benefit from restoration or conservation, the first step is to email us a scan of the front and back of the comic in question to service@cgccomics.com. Based on your scan, we will determine whether either service is viable and provide a ballpark cost. If we decide the comic may benefit from restoration or conservation, the next step is to submit the comic for screening to finalize feasibility and cost. The questions and answers below will help guide you.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

C = amateur restoration which also = damage if attempting to remove.

The OP wants to improve the grade.

damn thought blue label was improvement... 

well if they want to improve the numerical grade they can do further restoration, but it may hurt the value if OP tries to sell it later. 

1 hour ago, borntodeal said:

Hey friends, thank you so much for these suggestions. Which service do I order? I'm fairly new to using CGC's non-grading services such as restoring. Which service is best to order?

what's your end goal with this book as they might help us give you better advice. As there are different branches of collecting, selling, buying and having fun with comics and books. 

if you want to maximize your monetary value then removing the restoration is what you want to do as a blue label is what most collectors desire as you get less money for a purple label aka PLOD (purple label of death) 

if you want to increase the overall numerical grade you can only do this through evasive and irreversible restoration techniques some do it as they care about the book and want to look at a nice looking copy but it decreases the re sale value if you ever want to sell.

restoration with books and comics is generally not liked for re sale value as compared to cars where nicely restored cars get a increase in value the more original a book is in good condition the better.  

5 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

damn thought blue label was improvement... 

well if they want to improve the numerical grade they can do further restoration, but it may hurt the value if OP tries to sell it later. 

Having already been restored? Value can't really drop. Pro restorers may improve designation from C to B or A, as well. I see nothing but potential.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Having already been restored? Value can't really drop. Pro restorers may improve designation from C to B or A, as well. I see nothing but potential.

its amateur CT so high chances it bleed through but increasing the restoration on a book generally drives the price down but trying to remove the restoration and going for a blue label increases the price generally.. a pro should really weigh in and also the OP on what his goal is. 

5 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

its amateur CT so high chances it bleed through but increasing the restoration on a book generally drives the price down but trying to remove the restoration and going for a blue label increases the price generally.. a pro should really weigh in and also the OP on what his goal is. 

To quote the OP: "Can the grading on this Playboy be improved..."

That would tell me that condition and not value matter most.

The difference between C and A can be singularly, or combined, materials and/or quality. Let's say the glue is the problem? A pro restorer could both remove it and replace it with conservation material (maybe).

7 hours ago, borntodeal said:

Thank you so much EVERYONE.

Goal: to increase $ value

What should I do?

There are different methods of increasing value, though.

You could get restoration removed and dramatically reduce the number grade of the book.

Or.

You could get a professional restorer to remove the amateur work done, and use professional methods/materials to further restore the book. I'm not sure which a Playboy collector would prefer.

18 hours ago, Krismusic said:

increasing the restoration on a book generally drives the price down

Yeah, if you added more restoration and kept the same grade, but not sure why anyone would do that.

The goal of having the book further restored would be to increase the grade, and therefore the value.

What OP needs to find out is whether or not the cost of having more restoration done is less than the value added by a higher grade.

Dear Friends,

I am struggling with that to do. 

My goal is to increase resale value. 

If that is my only goal, not to own this but resell it, what is the ideal course of action? Leave it alone or send it for a restoration evaluation at CGC?