any theories on why prices seem to be dropping with a lot of books?
6 6

194 posts in this topic

53,130 posts
7 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Let's not forgot that the population has increased over that last 30 years for example, i.e. this means more nerds collecting xD. Prices may hold good for awhile as long as the MCU still pumps out good movies.

US Population in 1990 was approximately 250 million

US Population in 2019 was approximately 330 million

That doesn't necessarily translate into more comic collectors though

847 posts
12 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

What guides did you follow before certification and GPA? Overstreet,  Wizard?

I went to the pricing at Mycomics, Metropolitan Comics and High Grade Comics ultimately . I started with Overstreet which got me in the ballpark. The most difficult part was and is grading. None of my comics were slabbed. None were on boards with bags. At the time I acquired my comics, all from the news stand that wasn't really a prevalent mentality. I took them out on rare occasions and did take note of price changes, always considering selling them but I never did until 2017 when the price of a 5.0 AF 15 found in a box of comics in an abandoned school bus began to take hold. Initially, I thought I might be able to get a few thousand for it but Bob Storms of High Grade disabused me of that notion. I had the AF15 and about five others cleaned  pressed and slabbed.  It took me about ten months researching before the AF15 went to market. He came to my house for two days and we just sat grading. I learned a ton.  I don't think a 5.0 has sold for more than what Bob got for it. 

I only kept my Journey into mystery/ thor collections and a bunch of Dr Strange. They don't have much value compared to FF4 or ASM and I really like them up until that unfortunate wardrobe selection  in Dr Strange. I'll give them to my son eventually.  Dreckcheck is an interesting site for comparison pricing. 

Edited by Glassman10

847 posts
1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

not to mention tons more copies hitting the market. Once people figure out something may have value, it's too late to get into the baseline of the market.  I tend to think that anything newer than 15 cent comics is getting a bit late although there are always a few outliers. They really have to be near mint to hold value. That's not true of older SA books. It's certainly good for CGC though. 

Edited by Glassman10

320 posts

I think its pretty obvious the comic market just isn't focusing on DC for better or for worse.

Case in point: How many New CGC labels were released with DC Characters on 'em?

Edited by HuddyBee

1,257 posts
1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

True, but it's something to consider.

Edited by Xenosmilus

16,566 posts

I don't collect DCs except for the oddball issue here and there. I haven't seen prices dropping on any of the Marvel titles I collect, which is most of them.

5,440 posts
4 hours ago, zosocane said:

I think all of us were expecting this correction phase that we’re in, which began around last half of last year and will continue all of 2020.  The rates of growth had become unsustainable.  I attribute most of the cause to the end of Phase 3 and the “break” Marvel Studios has taken with its big properties.  The rise in vintage video games has also drawn the purchasing power of younger GenX speculators away.  That said, when Fantastic Four and Namor, a New Avengers line-up, and later a fresh X-Men/Wolverine come out on screen (guys, we WILL see Galactus fighting the FF), prices will be on the rise again. And a rebooted Batman franchise in 2021. The decade will be good for the hobby.

I will second that...look for strong price growth in the roaring 20's

27,436 posts

Couple factors but I do believe the sales tax made people really look at their purchases a bit more closely and some people are cutting back due to the cost increase.  I also think a lot of the huge spike was due to long time collectors selling off collections in the effort of buying a select few mega keys books which pushed up demand sky high.  Now that a lot of the collectors have downsized we may see a bit of a downturn.  Sales in general seemed much lower in November - January 2020 compared to the previous years so I'd not say it was all seasonal effect.

22,352 posts

Looking at the books I was bidding on in the Clink auction last night, the GA good girl and better horror books are still strong and running up. Those are the areas to look at now, with SA having outpaced GA gains the past two years. 

255 posts

I recently won my first book in a  heritage auction..it was approximately 1425.  That is the price that reflected in gpa.  However, there was 100 sales tax on the book as well as shipping and a credit card fee.  By the time all was said and done, the.book was about 1570.  I did consider the credit card fee in my bid.

If the market has taken about a 10 percent hit on prices over the past few months with sales taxes ranging around 7 to 10 percent, the addition of sales tax is, at least in my eyes, the main factor in the softening of prices recently.

Ebay still does not charge sales tax in my state.  There is no fair playing field right now.

8,880 posts
55 minutes ago, kimik said:

Looking at the books I was bidding on in the Clink auction last night, the GA good girl and better horror books are still strong and running up. Those are the areas to look at now, with SA having outpaced GA gains the past two years. 

Win anything?

847 posts
6 hours ago, NoMan said:

Those of us who have hung around the AF15 threads long enough know the story about your AF15, Bob Storms drove to you to look at it, he sold it for 55K and all is good and you're son put a down payment on a house with the Spiderman money. I'm happy things worked out for you and your family and Bob Storms. But I want more information. I want to know about this abandoned school bus. Where was it? Why were you in an abandoned school bus to begin with? Do you often frequent abandoned vehicles? If you had to speculate, why do you think there were a box of comics in an abandoned school bus? Do you think the abandoned school bus, if restored, could bring even more money than the AF15? I mean, was it one of those cool old school buses from the 50s? I'm seriously wondering these things re: your AF15 story because, I dunno, I'm tired of AF15 and the abandoned school bus has really captured my imagination.

I wonder about stuff like that. Who was the last person to drive it? How did it end up where it ended up? Did anyone die in the school bus?

I simply answered a question from someone about how I pursued the pricing  of the comic. I didn't mention the price.   I mention Bob because he did a great job.  There were lots of comics in that box. I gave away an avengers 4 to someone on this board from that box . I bet you wish it had been you.  The bus is sitting where it was fifty years ago. 

3,870 posts
2 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

I simply answered a question from someone about how I pursued the pricing  of the comic. I didn't mention the price.   I mention Bob because he did a great job.  There were lots of comics in that box. I gave away an avengers 4 to someone on this board from that box . I bet you wish it had been you.  The bus is sitting where it was fifty years ago. 

:foryou:

I figured there was a chance it could go like this. Having a brain that dwells on details like the school bus in your AF15 story and not the AF15 is a blessing and a curse, but mostly a blessing, I guess.

I was not being sarcastic or whatever, I truly was interested in the details of the school bus. I guess you could double down and say, "The school bus is none of your business" and it wouldn't be that big of a bigee. No harm, no foul. You be you. I'll be me. That sort of thing. But I think about stuff like that, "Who was the last person to drive the school bus?" "How did it get there." Some people take their photographs at the Official Kodak Picture Taking Spot and some wander off, like Everett Ruess, never to return. Get what I mean, Mr. Glassman?

I figured it might go down like this because social media is a foul sewer and all that so of course I'm on a social media site so I must be being an a-hole. I'm old, you know. But, really it's just how I am. I want to know about the school bus. I already know about the AF15.

I brought up the facts of your AF15 story (Bob Storms, price, etc) not as a put down but just to get that part of the school bus story out of the way. Are there not enough AF15 threads? 

Friends?

7,197 posts

It's almost the perfect storm to see a pullback in sales: 

End of an "era" with the MCU - almost impossible to refute how much the MCU and for lesser part the DCCU impacted prices. 
Sales tax - I've talked about this with a lot of Canadian collectors and it was like when our dollar was at parity back in 2012/2013 when all of a sudden it tanked and we were hit with a "25%" increase in prices.  Many stopped buying nearly as much.  It took about 6 months for us to realize yup it's here to "stay" so might as well bite the bullet and get to it.
Calendar - as many have said the winter season is typically the slowest, between holidays and commitments a lot of books slip through the cracks and cripple the 90day gpa on the less commonly sold books (get 2 sales for $600 and all of a sudden the 5 sale GPA is almost cut in half if it was trending at $900).  
Video games - I don't think there is that much money leaving the hobby for video games.  We've seen how pumped that market is by "THE" company and their investors pushing the agenda, the same company that auctioned off the big game, is investors of the company and also bought the game.  All they did was take money out of the left pocket and put it in the right pocket.  Several early spenders are getting absolutely hammered the second time a similar copy comes to market.  Video games aren't new and instead we are just being pushed it by a very select to look at me and the price this copy sold for.

All of that said in the last week we've noticed an uptick in sales and inquiries, is that a sign things are turning around?  I can't say yes, but it's a positive sign.  Can't always have positive gains but I don't think it's a downward spiral.

153 posts
3 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

It's almost the perfect storm to see a pullback in sales: 

End of an "era" with the MCU - almost impossible to refute how much the MCU and for lesser part the DCCU impacted prices. 
Sales tax - I've talked about this with a lot of Canadian collectors and it was like when our dollar was at parity back in 2012/2013 when all of a sudden it tanked and we were hit with a "25%" increase in prices.  Many stopped buying nearly as much.  It took about 6 months for us to realize yup it's here to "stay" so might as well bite the bullet and get to it.
Calendar - as many have said the winter season is typically the slowest, between holidays and commitments a lot of books slip through the cracks and cripple the 90day gpa on the less commonly sold books (get 2 sales for $600 and all of a sudden the 5 sale GPA is almost cut in half if it was trending at $900).  
Video games - I don't think there is that much money leaving the hobby for video games.  We've seen how pumped that market is by "THE" company and their investors pushing the agenda, the same company that auctioned off the big game, is investors of the company and also bought the game.  All they did was take money out of the left pocket and put it in the right pocket.  Several early spenders are getting absolutely hammered the second time a similar copy comes to market.  Video games aren't new and instead we are just being pushed it by a very select to look at me and the price this copy sold for.

All of that said in the last week we've noticed an uptick in sales and inquiries, is that a sign things are turning around?  I can't say yes, but it's a positive sign.  Can't always have positive gains but I don't think it's a downward spiral.

What do you think Walt Disney's ownership of superhero rights will look like down the road to me they will push and make a ton of new movies and series and keep kids attached to heroes and adults involved as well. No way they invested billions of dollars just to sit back and see it all crumble. I say this as a guy that grew up buying and collecting comic books without any movie hype needed. But things have changed. Big money investors will not let this all fall down.

Edited by Batmanis#1

7,197 posts
1 minute ago, Batmanis#1 said:

What do you think Walt Disney's ownership of superhero rights will look like down the road to me they will push and make a ton of new movies and series and keep kids attached to heroes and adults involved as well. No way they investment billions just to sit back and see it all crumble. I say this as a guy that grew up buying and collecting without any movies needed. But things have changed. Big money investors will not let this all fall down.

I agree.  They definitely won't sit idle.  I don't expect them to come out with a MASSIVE 22 movie series that all "ties" into a massive story again per say, but they'll keep pumping out movies and will do more characters that aren't their bread and butter.  Guardians of the Galaxy was a nothing set...the pulled them out and it turned into a loveable trash panda.  Will we see the core again?  Of course but it will be like Batman and or Spidey and get new actors and new stories.

153 posts
2 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

I agree.  They definitely won't sit idle.  I don't expect them to come out with a MASSIVE 22 movie series that all "ties" into a massive story again per say, but they'll keep pumping out movies and will do more characters that aren't their bread and butter.  Guardians of the Galaxy was a nothing set...the pulled them out and it turned into a loveable trash panda.  Will we see the core again?  Of course but it will be like Batman and or Spidey and get new actors and new stories.

Who knows really but if I invested billions I would want my money back and more. Walt Disney is huge so we will see. I heard they may build 3 major theme parks threw the world based solely on superheroes I could be wrong but I did read about this a while back. One for sure in the USA most likely attached to their main site.

Edited by Batmanis#1