• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man 129
1 1

19 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

As in professionally? I'm very surprised to see they couldn't get that lower crease out.

Either a 8.0 or 8.5

Yes professionally done. Corner breaks color. 

id be happy with an 8.5. If the consensus here is less than an 8.0, I’m not gonna submit. 

37 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I would be very surprised if this gets less than an 8.0

37 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I would be very surprised if this gets less than an 8.0

When I bought it I was thinking maybe an 8.5 or possibly a 9. :$

Another poster above said it’s a 7.0. If that’s the case, I need to schedule an eye exam or pick another hobby. 

2 minutes ago, Lpgk said:

When I bought it I was thinking maybe an 8.5 or possibly a 9. :$

Another poster above said it’s a 7.0. If that’s the case, I need to schedule an eye exam or pick another hobby. 

Well look, I'll tell you this. I was a grader for a collectibles shop and if you brought that in I would be comfortable buying and selling it as an 8.0. It might be an 8.5 but I don't want to push my luck in case someone brings it to CGC, it comes back as an 8 and they come back demanding a refund or whatever. Especially if I'd put it up on e-bay with that 6 month guarantee period paypal has now. Pretty positive it's not a 9 though. The idea of a 9 is that aside from small noticeable defects, it's an otherwise near mint book. The defects here, which are due to wear as opposed to being manufacturing defects, are just a bit too noticeable.

6 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Well look, I'll tell you this. I was a grader for a collectibles shop and if you brought that in I would be comfortable buying and selling it as an 8.0. It might be an 8.5 but I don't want to push my luck in case someone brings it to CGC, it comes back as an 8 and they come back demanding a refund or whatever. Especially if I'd put it up on e-bay with that 6 month guarantee period paypal has now. Pretty positive it's not a 9 though. The idea of a 9 is that aside from small noticeable defects, it's an otherwise near mint book. The defects here, which are due to wear as opposed to being manufacturing defects, are just a bit too noticeable.

Yeah true. In the heat of the moment when buying the book I felt differently. But upon second thought the dog ear on the corner is too much to overcome. 

thanks for the expert advice !

On 1/27/2020 at 4:02 PM, Lpgk said:

Man your handle is spot on. Your grading hurts. Lol. 

That color breaking crease really is what hurts. A 8.0 can have a 1/4" unnoticeable crease if color is not broken. So for me that eliminates a 8.0. Maybe a 7.5 but the accumulation of spine stress with color breaks and blunted corners for me makes it a 7.0.  It is a great looking book but that is what I see.

Edited by WoWitHurts
unbolded