• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Variants/Errors

13 posts in this topic

Hello, long time comic collector here.

I have an almost complete Flash collection from Showcase 4 up to current day, but most of them were bought years ago, and I dont know much about my specific copies (grades, etc.) I've always liked the idea of finding something special or rare that I didnt know about a book that I have already got in my collection, whether it be a signtaure, a special variant or some kind of error. I am currently going through my collection and assigning grades to them, but I was just wondering if there any other things to look out for on my books apart from the topics listed below? Thanks.

Signatures

Double Cover

Mark Jewelers Insert

Whitman Variant

DC Universe UPC Variant

Edited by JeffJohn123
Added Whitman Variant

1 hour ago, JeffJohn123 said:

Nice one, what sort of printing errors would I be looking for?

Well that's the fun part Jeff John, you have to look for them. Back in my Spidey collecting days there was a site called STL, now sadly gone, that had a section for printing errors. It was very popular. Just as everyone thought every ASM error had been found I flooded the site with another ten or so which I found whilst hunting down pence copies and the like. I remember the site owner, who would sanction new postings, saying I had Spidey error collectors 'tearing their hair out'. Wish it was still online :cloud9:

Anyway, who knows what Flash errors are out there. You could be the man to find them JJ...

On 4/17/2017 at 1:16 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Good spot @Philflound - I think they went when someone kicked my Photobucket over :wink:

Here's a few to keep you going

58f4b1fe4898e_5GreenSpidey.thumb.jpg.c86b2f326f0f26fe5447cd7363758891.jpg

26.jpg.612e16a43f630170a9a1fe484c8af85b.jpg

58f4b20138718_44FadedBottom.thumb.jpg.07a2520038b91d5d3709b09edefdae58.jpg

58f4b2038aca2_44RedBackground.thumb.jpg.02ba613e95f6c468ec23dfc38bca4d79.jpg

58f4b2055fc1e_65DarkGreenVariant.PNG.541dc300a764e0f07d1a024884191b62.PNG

99.thumb.jpg.5c9cffd2937c8e4bd63bd49159da4c01.jpg

58f4b20c2b779_121ColourVariants.thumb.PNG.dbf6f79beb148041340f75f497042463.PNG

58f4b20e15a4c_174NewsstandWhiteP.PNG.501fb1ecbd41efef657b83457e7394ab.PNG

58f4b210dfdeb_176yellowoverprint.thumb.PNG.5ce21000819d97a1fdff4a2cc23c38fd.PNG

58f4b21240129_177WhiteCircle.PNG.6807469cc83ece208899f12cd4beff90.PNG

187.PNG.2c1cb4f7153299cf20050c133cc1d197.PNG

196.thumb.jpg.8d6d6d08ed16b3258fa939643c81494a.jpg

252.thumb.jpg.301f8a988934e09eb64a96ce241cc0b0.jpg

388.thumb.jpg.44e069e968aa1dc39cb49a4165d631ea.jpg

Nice stuff, I actually started going through everything the other day, and while I haven't found anythinhg like that, i did something interesting that I wanted to ask about. I've got 2 boks, Flash 165 & 222 whihc both have the same thing. From what i can gather they are sort of frankenstein books, technically they are married, but as it's part of the printing process I believe they are still blue label. From what I can gather they are put together from two or more scrap copies in the production process to fulfill orders. Each book has two sets of staples, one which acts as normal, and another that just pierces the interior pages and doesn't touch the cover. I know that there is a term for them but can't for the life of me remember, I'd like to look them up to learn morew about them, did you anything about them or what they are called, I can fire off some pictures if you'd like.

Attached some pictures of the 222. This isn't just my opinion btw, I messaged the guy who does the pressing on the books i send to CGC, and he was the one who told me that, as apparently he had pressed a few before but he couldn't remember what that specific type of thing was called. Any help is much appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

2 hours ago, JeffJohn123 said:

Attached some pictures of the 222. This isn't just my opinion btw, I messaged the guy who does the pressing on the books i send to CGC, and he was the one who told me that, as apparently he had pressed a few before but he couldn't remember what that specific type of thing was called. Any help is much appreciated.

2.jpg

That's interesting. I've not seen that before myself, at least not where the suggestion is that it is part of the natural production process. Could the term you were looking for be 'remaindered'? That can be used to signify the use of internals with a new cover wrapped around them. Many might suggest that a previous owner has just put extra staples in for protection but that usually is only done if something is loose which doesn't look the case here. Maybe someone else will chip in when the see the thread. Keep us informed Jeff, if you hear anything. And welcome to regular posting, if that hasn't already been said :)

19 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's interesting. I've not seen that before myself, at least not where the suggestion is that it is part of the natural production process. Could the term you were looking for be 'remaindered'? That can be used to signify the use of internals with a new cover wrapped around them. Many might suggest that a previous owner has just put extra staples in for protection but that usually is only done if something is loose which doesn't look the case here. Maybe someone else will chip in when the see the thread. Keep us informed Jeff, if you hear anything. And welcome to regular posting, if that hasn't already been said :)

Thanks for the help, posted a separate thread yesterday and just about to read the responses.

19 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Unfortunately not, a remainder book is one with part of the front cover chopped off. Have had a couple people say that it is definitely a blue label, apparently they were ones that missed the cover in the bindary process, so they ended up feeding them back through the presses for q new cover, still no idea on a name for them though.

Also, found this on another thread, looks like this could be it.

Hi; I got another little manafacturing error that I have been wandering about for a while. I have two comics a Defenders 50 and a Marvel Tales 82 and I did have a Peter Parker 7 that all have two sets of staples in other words two at the top and two at the bottom what I found strange about this is that one set of staples is inside the cover and the other set holds the cover on and all three of these comics are like that. It is like the comic was stapled together without the cover and then they sent it back through and stapled a cover over it did this ever happen ???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cosmic,

I asked DiceX the same question a few months ago. Here is his reply:

I received the book today.

It looks to me like it was a "hand bound reject".

I'll try to explain it...

A publisher requires a certain number of books to be produced.

During the bindery run, they have enough raw product to produce the run + a percentage predicted by the bindery allowed for waste.

Say the run is 100,000 books and the bindery expects 3% waste...They receive 103,000 books worth of raw product.

During the run there are books that jam up in the binder, or have odd flaws (untrimmed, unstapled, no cover, etc.).

Those books are stacked to the side until the end of the run.

When the raw product has been depleated, if the count doesn't add up to what the publisher ordered, they have to find a way to fill the order.

They go through the "reject" skid to find any books that can be salvaged. There is usually nothing wrong with them, they just have been produced incorrectly.

They take those books and piece together what they can.

These books are bound by hand, stitched (stapled) by hand, then hand trimmed on a flatbed cutter. Whatever they have to do on a book by book basis.

After "pulling rejects", if the order still has not been filled, they have to go back to press to run enough raw pieces to finish it off.

The book you sent looks like it was produced without a cover.

The body of the book had already been stapled, so a fresh cover was placed on the book and stitched onto the body. (The second set of staples)

The staples are done by hand, so that would explain why they were off centered.

There are no other staple holes in the cover, so it was definately a raw cover that was placed on the book.

Afterwards it was hand trimmed on a flatbed.

No doubt in my mind that the book left the factory this way.

I don't know if this book would have passed through CGC without a purple label, because I don't know if they would have been able to tell it was a factory error.

After doing a bit more research I learned that they do come back blue label with the note "extra set of staples added in the manufacturing process" or something like that, highest I've seen of one with this notation is a 5.0, but that could be a coincidence.