• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seemingly legit Ebay store sold and then relisted items using same pictures.
1 1

129 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Poekaymon said:

I have a 9.8 right here that got severely shaken and the cover is practically falling off.  Staples almost out.  Like half an inch of first page showing under the cover.  I have hundreds of 9.8s and this is by far the worst--uglier than most 9.6s.  Absolutely no one would be happy receiving this book, but it's in a 9.8 slab.  If I made an auction using a photo of someone else's 9.8 copy of the same book, that was visually flawless, and then sent the winner my damaged book, there is not one person on this board that would be happy receiving it.  

I have to be honest, the way you are describing the condition of your 9.8 with staples almost out and cover practically falling off isn't even a 9.6 in my opinion.

OWOTO, if someone sees a pic and expects that book, by serial number, and you get a different one, that raises eyebrows. To  get a really terrible-looking book instead if what you expect is terrible.

I have sold multiple CC slabs of the same book, with the same grade,  before, and always took pics/scans of each book for each auction. Because if you don't give cause for confusion, you don't get confusion. It is a hassle, yes, but then you don't deal with the hassle of an angry customer and everything that can come with that. I say, taking a little time now is worth a good bit of your time later, as well as possibly your reputation.

-slym

This is a good thread

It happened to me with a Venom 3 SS Cates and Stegman

I was frustrated at first, but I imagine they had multiple copies so I got over it and still gave them 5 stars on feedback

But what would you do if this happened to you?

@Poekaymon

Screenshot_20191213-152703_eBay.jpg

Edited by Hollywood1892

10 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

No

You've posted them many many many many many many times

Trick question, because:

1. It was a meme joke.
  2. I don't have any beliefs.

Inferred implied. Discussing beliefs is typically bad fashion. Things like politics and religion only lead to emotional disagreements*, and ultimately, nobody is correct. I don't discuss beliefs.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus
*Admittedly hyperbolic, as some adults can have mature disagreements without walking away "mad".

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Trick question, because:

1. It was a meme joke.
  2. I don't have any beliefs.

Inferred implied. Discussing beliefs is typically bad fashion. Things like politics and religion only lead to emotional disagreements, and ultimately, nobody is correct. I don't discuss beliefs.

I agree on the entire body of this post

That meme you posted is hilarious 

3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

This is a good thread

It happened to me with a Venom 3 SS Cates and Stegman

I was frustrated at first, but I imagine they had multiple copies so I got over it and still gave them 5 stars on feedback

But what would you do if this happened to you?

@Poekaymon

Screenshot_20191213-152703_eBay.jpg

If I’m understanding you correctly (which is by no means a given as the memes and banter are largely going over my head), you are asking if I would still have concerns if a seller posted pictures and serial number of a book, I bought it, and then they sent me a totally different book but which was in a slab with a higher number on it. 

First consideration is whether the 9 is actually an upgrade over the 8.5. Ie, if I bought a 9.6 that looked like a 9.8 from the pictures, and then I received the 9.8 I mentioned earlier in this thread (which although in a 9.8 slab would assuredly not be graded at 9.8 or even 9.6 if regraded), then yes I would ask for a return. That’s an easy one.  But I assume this is not what you are asking, and for the purposes of my being in this hypothetical situation, the book that I received is actually an upgrade. 

So the question is really whether I would complain if I bought a book and was given a different book that was actually a superior book. Well, I would alert them. I still think it’s a better practice to actually post the item that you are selling or at least disclose that the actual item isn’t pictured. So in your hypothetical, I would say “you realize you sent me a 9.0 right?”  Just as I do when the cashier gives me too much change. If they already know (as in what happened to you) or don’t care, then that’s that. Probably an unsurprising answer. I would have thought it obvious that I was only concerned about getting a worse book. Similarly, I also wouldn’t demand a return if I bought a Hulk 171 and they sent me a nice copy of a Hulk 181, though I’d still point it out to the seller. 

8 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

If I’m understanding you correctly (which is by no means a given as the memes and banter are largely going over my head), you are asking if I would still have concerns if a seller posted pictures and serial number of a book, I bought it, and then they sent me a totally different book but which was in a slab with a higher number on it. 

First consideration is whether the 9 is actually an upgrade over the 8.5. Ie, if I bought a 9.6 that looked like a 9.8 from the pictures, and then I received the 9.8 I mentioned earlier in this thread (which although in a 9.8 slab would assuredly not be graded at 9.8 or even 9.6 if regraded), then yes I would ask for a return. That’s an easy one.  But I assume this is not what you are asking, and for the purposes of my being in this hypothetical situation, the book that I received is actually an upgrade. 

So the question is really whether I would complain if I bought a book and was given a different book that was actually a superior book. Well, I would alert them. I still think it’s a better practice to actually post the item that you are selling or at least disclose that the actual item isn’t pictured. So in your hypothetical, I would say “you realize you sent me a 9.0 right?”  Just as I do when the cashier gives me too much change. If they already know (as in what happened to you) or don’t care, then that’s that. Probably an unsurprising answer. I would have thought it obvious that I was only concerned about getting a worse book. Similarly, I also wouldn’t demand a return if I bought a Hulk 171 and they sent me a nice copy of a Hulk 181, though I’d still point it out to the seller. 

You didn't read it

He told me that he was sending a 9.0 because he didn't have the 8.5 in stock

So he posted a pic of the 8.5 on ebay, I bought it, a couple days later it wasn't shipped so I emailed him and that was the response

15 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Not only that

I think it's a great marketing ploy too keep customers 

You buy a lower grade they send you a higher one

Next thing you know they have made thousands off you

Generosity goes a long way

Edited by Hollywood1892

58 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Not only that

I think it's a great marketing ploy too keep customers 

You buy a lower grade they send you a higher one

Next thing you know they have made thousands off you

Generosity goes a long way

How many businesses have you lost?

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

You didn't read it

He told me that he was sending a 9.0 because he didn't have the 8.5 in stock

So he posted a pic of the 8.5 on ebay, I bought it, a couple days later it wasn't shipped so I emailed him and that was the response

I definitely read it.  I may not have understood it correctly, but then I did say that was a possibility to begin with.

Even still, given your clarification, I'm not sure where I went wrong since you are describing the same situation I understood.  You bought an 8.5 and received a 9.0 and asked what I would do in that situation.  Didn't I address exactly that?  You  may have to write as if you are addressing a 5 year old--this ain't the newbie forum for nothin'.

Edited by Poekaymon