• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman 1 CGC 1.0 Restored Moderate - Sold for 60k?

31 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, intlnews said:

Best offer accepted. Question isn't the asking price. It's what % of the asking price was paid.

Legend has it that Red Rocks was the buyer and immediately complained about the price he paid for it.

Then he apparently backed out the the deal because he's afraid of the Boogie Man and the seller wouldn't walk him to his car.

1 hour ago, intlnews said:

IDK, that's a far fetched risk. No? My 7.5 with slight restoration should be worth double this; should that be true.

A5 6.0 copies were selling for $50k+ last year, so assuming one could put $5k of resto work into this copy and get a 6.0, it's not a bad deal?

18 hours ago, intlnews said:

Why did this sell for so much? What am I missing?

Ummmm............shouldn't the real question be WHY NOT?  hm

After all, it is a Superman 1 comic book which really doesn't grow on trees or come around every single day.  :luhv:

Not like it's a Hulk 181 CGC label that sells for $150K, a Tomb of Dracula 10 CGC label that sells for $85K, a Marvel Super-Heroes 13 CGC label that sells for over $31K, or a Eternals 13 CGC label that sells for $4,150, etc. :screwy:

Now, those are much more puzzling questions to find an answer to..........but when it comes to collecting, I would guess it's really a case of to each, their own.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
18 hours ago, intlnews said:

After all, it is a Superman 1 comic book which really doesn't grow on trees or come around every single day.  :luhv:

That's true, once you have a legitimate key to the Superman #1 club house, does it really matter if you don't get to sit on the highest-graded copy throne?  The buffet is the same.

(Or so I've heard. I don't know from experience.  I am a member of TMNT #1 first printing club house, but all that's on the buffet is these:)

Image result for tmnt snack crackers

Edited by valiantman

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

That's true, once you have a legitimate key to the Superman #1 club house, does it really matter if you don't get to sit on the highest-graded copy throne?  The buffet is the same.

Most definitely, and I guess the real answer was already alluded to in a previous post:

58 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Entry level supe 1 seem to always garner a premium.

Not just Superman 1, but in today's ultra red hot marketplace, it would seem that entry level copies of virtaully all GA keys or HTF classic cover books are easily selling for huge premiums and even multiples to bottom of guide.  :whatthe:

I guess it's all about being able to acquire any copy of a key or classic cover book at an affordable price point.  (thumbsu  :takeit:

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:
23 hours ago, intlnews said:

Not like it's a Hulk 181 CGC label that sells for $150K, a Tomb of Dracula 10 CGC label that sells for $85K, a Marvel Super-Heroes 13 CGC label that sells for over $31K, or a Eternals 13 CGC label that sells for $4,150, etc. :screwy:

Now, those are much more puzzling questions to find an answer to..........but when it comes to collecting, I would guess it's really a case of to each, their own.  (thumbsu

I cant see anything as rare as a Superman 1 having a Fair Market Value.  It's almost a white elephant and should be worth whatever someone is willing to pay.  I actually think its the same with lots and lots of the GA books.  

There just aren't enough of them around for a buyer to pass when a desired issue comes up in order to wait for the next one. 

However, a book as numerous as a Hulk 181 probably has a FMV attached to it because if you don't want to pay one price, you just go on to the next one. 

6 minutes ago, Senormac said:

However, a book as numerous as a Hulk 181 probably has a FMV attached to it because if you don't want to pay one price, you just go on to the next one. 

+1

Especially when they have multiple copies of relatively common in-demand and hot books like Hulk 181, ASM 129, AF 15's, etc. popping up in every single auction through the various auction houses.  (thumbsu

53 minutes ago, Senormac said:

I cant see anything as rare as a Superman 1 having a Fair Market Value.  It's almost a white elephant and should be worth whatever someone is willing to pay.  I actually think its the same with lots and lots of the GA books.  

There just aren't enough of them around for a buyer to pass when a desired issue comes up in order to wait for the next one. 

So I guess I should hold on to mine a few more years?

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

(Or so I've heard. I don't know from experience.  I am a member of TMNT #1 first printing club house, but all that's on the buffet is these:)

Image result for tmnt snack crackers

Did you save those from when you were a kid or did you buy them off eBay as a collectible?

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wow. Eternals 13 CGC is worth that much. I should send them in to get graded. Appreciate the tip.