• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,647 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Professor Chaos said:

That's a good dream. I wonder if CGC would encapsulate that Daisy cover. I suppose they would right? There is also an Action 12 and a few other Daisy covers up. 

I would think they would, not sure why they wouldn’t atleast. Also noticed the other covers. They’re all in beautiful condition. 

4 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

Anyone know the story with these Daisy covers? Is there a list of the covers that this find entailed?

I'd like to know that as well. I'm thinking they saved a copy of the books they advertised in but only kept the covers to save space. 

Edit: Afterthought - Daisy advertised on a lot of back covers. I believe many Timely's had Daisy ads. I don't know why they would save just a few in some file cabinet for 70 or 80 years unless most got tossed and these are the few survivors. And the ones on CL this month look very well preserved. What I'm saying is there could be someone out there sitting on hundreds of really sweet GA covers. Maybe this offering is just the beginning. 

Edited by Professor Chaos

On 2/12/2021 at 12:34 PM, ft88 said:

If sports (and non sports) cards are any indication, it's going to get worse for buyers before it gets better.  

Like what we saw the other week with Game Stop and AMC, all I can say is don't be the one caught without a seat to sit on when the music stops.  :tonofbricks:

8 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

Anybody wanna lend me ~$25,000 so I can win this copy of All-American 61? I promise I'll pay you back!

So, if you are asking for $25K, does this mean that you have an extra $10K - $15K of your own money to throw in for this copy here:  :bigsmile:

RAD8EAF220201113_141037.jpg

After all, a slightly lower graded copy sold for just over $30K at CC last summer or for over 3X condition guide and I don't see this sharp looking copy going any lower, especially since its got one of those CVA Exceptional stickers on it.   I guess we'll just have to wait and find out though.  hm  :taptaptap:

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, if you are asking for $25K, does this mean that you have an extra $10K - $15K of your own money to throw in for this copy here:  :bigsmile:

RAD8EAF220201113_141037.jpg

After all, a slightly lower graded copy sold for just over $30K at CC last summer or for over 3X condition guide and I don't see this sharp looking copy going any lower, especially since its got one of those CVA Exceptional stickers on it.   I guess we'll just have to wait and find out though.  hm  :taptaptap:

Yeah, I'm willing to chip in the remaining ~15k or so that I think it'll take. I'm not that much of a mooch, after all.

3 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

Yeah, I'm willing to chip in the remaining ~15k or so that I think it'll take. I'm not that much of a mooch, after all.

Well, even if you are a mooch, at least you would be one with quality taste as clearly evident by that copy of AA 61 you are going after.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

42 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, even if you are a mooch, at least you would be one with quality taste as clearly evident by that copy of AA 61 you are going after.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

Oh isn't it absolutely gorgeous? I will actually be very interested in seeing what it finally brings in.

33 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

Oh isn't it absolutely gorgeous? I will actually be very interested in seeing what it finally brings in.

Oh yes, absolutely.................but sadly, clearly more than what both you and I are willing to spend on a comic book.  lol  :cloud9:

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Oh yes, absolutely.................but sadly, clearly more than what both you and I are willing to spend on a comic book.  lol  :cloud9:

Oh, for me it is 100% about ability, not need. So if any rich benefactors want to support me with a blank check, I will happily take it and bring this book home.

10 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

Oh, for me it is 100% about ability, not need. So if any rich benefactors want to support me with a blank check, I will happily take it and bring this book home.

55 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

I will actually be very interested in seeing what it finally brings in.

Since it's all in fun for us then, what's your best guess as to the final price for this gorgeous looking copy of AA 61 then?  hm

On 2/15/2021 at 8:00 PM, Professor Chaos said:

I'm still trying to figure out who these people bidding like mad on everything are. I know I'm a broken record about it but I'm truly baffled. And its not even heavy last minute action in most auctions, its mostly right out of the gate bidding frenzies. I just don't get it. 

Yes, I took a quick look at this auction and there did indeed seem like a lot of rather aggressive bidding in the first few days.  (thumbsu

Looks like it has mostly slowed right back down the past few days though, with most of the lots sitting somewhere around 60% to 65% or thereabouts to where they will most likely end up finishing at.  I guess we will have to wait for the last few days to see more action on most of these books here, although I guess we won't have to wait right until the end of the auction like we have to with CC where a lot of their action takes place in the extended bidding on the hot books.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap: 

Edited by lou_fine

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Since it's all in fun for us then, what's your best guess as to the final price for this gorgeous looking copy of AA 61 then?  hm

5 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

I'd say somewhere between $42-48k, so approximately 3.5-4x guide.

Any speculation on what the single 9.8 would fetch at auction? 

1 hour ago, manofsteel said:

I would think six figures, because it's the single highest graded of the first appearance of a premier villain (and a classic cover to boot). But nothing higher than a 7.5 has been recorded by GPA, which I find remarkable.

6 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:
2 hours ago, manofsteel said:

I would think six figures, because it's the single highest graded of the first appearance of a premier villain (and a classic cover to boot).

I would tend to agree with you although it should be pointed out that the same kind of multiples don't seem to be paid for graded GA labels, as opposed to more recent books such as Bat 181, 'Tec 359, etc. where it all seems to be about the label since there are already so many copies in similar high grade.  (thumbsu

18 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

But nothing higher than a 7.5 has been recorded by GPA, which I find remarkable.

Not really since this is such a classic and one of the best GA covers out there, that for most collectors it's a keeper if they have anything close to a half decent copy.   :luhv:   :takeit:

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I would tend to agree with you although it should be pointed out that the same kind of multiples don't seem to be paid for graded GA labels, as opposed to more recent books such as Bat 181, 'Tec 359, etc. where it all seems to be about the label since there are already so many copies in similar high grade.  (thumbsu

This is an excellent comparison; if anything, I would expect it to go for more, just because it's the *single highest graded copy*, combined with the same number on the label as those SA Bats. I would agree if it were, say, an 8.0 or an 8.5 (or even a 9.2/9.4), but when it's the 9.8 I think we're gonna get the same benefits to it.

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

for most collectors it's a keeper if they have anything close to a half decent copy.   :luhv:   :takeit:

That's a very fair point; I buy more in SA where there isn't *this* level of rarity, and you have owners cashing out because they can always get a lower-graded copy while using the rest of the proceeds to pick up another grail book as well.

On 2/12/2021 at 3:04 AM, Professor Chaos said:
On 2/11/2021 at 11:17 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, if I compare the CVA sticker to the QES sticker, I would prefer the latter since the CVA sticker is pretty much generic while the QES sticker at least makes some sort of an attempt to list the specific factors as to why the book in question qualified for the sticker.  (thumbsu

If I may ask, as a potential bidder on a particular book, why would the presence of a sticker on the slab tend to bother you since you are not paying directly for the sticker itself?   Especially since it's really there to impart a bit more information to you as a potential bidder that the assigned technical CGC grade itself might not be taking into account.  hm  (shrug) 

Well......I'll give you an example as to one reason I am not a fan of those shiny little silver badges. In the January CL auction was a book that sold for 2,600 without the cva. I noticed before it ended that there was the same book with the same grade/page color coming in the Winter auction. Both looked very much the same. I got outbid in January. Ok, I'll bid ridiculously, with reckless abandonment, with no regard to recent sales prices (which seems to be the norm in comic collecting the past 6 months or so) in the Winter auction. But suddenly out of nowhere the book in the Winter auction magically grew a cva sticker and on the opening day it is already up to 2600. 

Professor;

Have you ever considered the possibility that in this very grade-centric marketplace of ours, that speculators or flippers might be looking at the CVA or QES stickers as books with a much much higher probability of being bumped up to a higher grade upon a resub, wherther it be through the usual CPR play or simply through a straight resub?   As such, these types of potential buyers might just be willing to bid a bit higher on these books than they would the ones without the stickers. hm  :wishluck:

Not sure about the CVA stickers since they appear to be a generic sticker for any book that's deemed to be exceptional relative to the assigned CGC grade.  The QES sticker at least seems to impart a bit more information since I assume if you find one that denotes the usual strong colors along with perfect edges and spine placement, etc. (all relative to assigned CGC grade again), then should this book not stand a better chance for a potential upgrade upon a resub?  Especially if the only major item left are probably certain grade killing defects like tiny near invisible NCB ticks which although cannot be seen in a scan sometimes, but can be if held in hand at a certain angle to the light and shall we say "easily fixable".  hm  :devil:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Professor;

Have you ever considered the possibility that in this very grade-centric marketplace of ours, that speculators or flippers might be looking at the CVA or QES stickers as books with a much much higher probability of being bumped up to a higher grade upon a resub, wherther it be through the usual CPR play or simply through a straight resub?   As such, these types of potential buyers might just be willing to bid a bit higher on these books than they would the ones without the stickers. hm  :wishluck:

Not sure about the CVA stickers since they appear to be a generic sticker for any book that's deemed to be exceptional relative to the assigned CGC grade.  The QES sticker at least seems to impart a bit more information since I assume if you find one that denotes the usual strong colors along with perfect edges and spine placement, etc. (all relative to assigned CGC grade again), then should this book not stand a better chance for a potential upgrade upon a resub?  Especially if the only major item left are probably certain grade killing defects like tiny near invisible NCB ticks which although cannot be seen in a scan sometimes, but can be if held in hand at a certain angle to the light and shall we say "easily fixable".  hm  :devil:

I'm sure there are people seeking and bidding on the CVA and QES books with the intention of getting them resubbed. But I don't think many. I mean whats better a 9.0 CVA or a 9.2 non CVA? From what I've seen the majority of us don't care much for the stickers but its sure not going to cause anybody to not go after one because it has the sticker. And yes the sticker will create incentive for some people to bid more and raise the end price of the book. 

Do the QES stickers come with some sort of documentation of the reasons the sticker was given? If so I guess thats a good thing. Then again they are not cracking the slab so its not like they can see things we can't (except for like you said some things aren't noticeable in scans and pics). 

So are the stickers a good tool for collectors to have? I suppose so. But personally I could take them or leave them. Not against them but not a big fan. I do agree with the good points/examples you mentioned.