• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko actually wrote about Spider-man... A LOT
5 5

583 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2020 at 11:40 AM, VintageComics said:

Zep is one of my favorite bands but they didn't credit all the old blues artists they stole their music from.  lol

When I first heard about it I thought people were exaggerating about them lifting the music but they lifted a LOT of music from their predecessors.

In this day and age, that wouldn't have flown.

Yes!  We're most certainly in an age of justice, for all! :wink:

On 2/24/2020 at 7:13 PM, Prince Namor said:

Eric Stanton was a BDSM/Fetish artist who also shared work studio's with Ditko from 1958-1968. One of his long running characters was called 'Sweeter Gwen'. It is believed the two men helped each other with inking, backgrounds, talking out ideas, etc. 

Some Stanton quotes:

‘There were times Steve would spend twenty hours straight doing a comic,’ Stanton remembered.

"He thought my stuff was funny. We’d laugh a lot,’ Stanton said, as he fondly remembered years later. ‘Every experience that I had with Steve was terrific, as far as I was concerned.’”

According to Eric Stanton, “I made ‘Sweeter Gwen’ from John Willie’s ‘Gwendoline.’ I roughed out (penciled) 30 pages and took them over to Burtman and he said ‘Great,' but then I got another commission, and I had to stop on ‘Sweeter Gwen.' "

"I asked Steve Ditko to ink it for me, and we’d split the money 50% - 50%. So then we story-boarded, like we used to do for Spider-Man. We gave ideas to each other. We came up with a very beautiful story." 

It's difficult to find tame enough piece's of his work to share on this forum, but below is one of the few examples that I think can pass...

Source (NSFW): http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/695/ditko3.html

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 6.58.01 PM.png

thanks for posting this.

I checked out Stanton's work and found it great from what little I can see ('fetish artist' doesn't seem like a fair label, but I only have the slightest of knowledge of it so far).

Ordered a book on Stanton and look forward to checking it out - not often I come across a name from those days that is both talented and that I haven't already heard of... thanks!