• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double cover comics

5 posts in this topic

I have a copy of X-Men 166 and a New Teen Titans issue 5 that both have double covers. I would put the X-Men at 9.6 and the NTT in the lower 9s. I bought them off the shelf in the 80s. How much more are they worth than a regular copy and should I bother to get them graded?

First off I am one of those people that LOVES production errors...and my 'value' rule is that I can go up to 20% in price over the same book without the error. (and usually it is closer to 10%) To me, any more than that is crazy. (But, as was noted above, there isn't a set 'rule' and I know of others that are willing to pay more than that for certain errors and others that love them too, but only will collect the ones that they find in the wild and will never pay more for errors.)

My personal advice about getting them graded: to me, the thing that makes double covers fun is the ability to open the book at see the second (or third) cover. Personally I wouldn't pay any more for a CGC 9.6 double cover X-men 166 than I would for a 9.6 standard copy. Raw copies though I would be willing to pay up a bit for.