• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing a sticker . . .
1 1

5 posts in this topic

First, a little background.

Australia converted to decimal currency on 14 February 1966. At conversion, one shilling was equal to 10c. U.S. funny books had been imported for some time and the US cover price was ignored and the price set at one shilling (1/-). Some times this was written on the cover, sometimes not.

With decimal currency arriving, I believe it was feared some unscrupulous vendors would seek to take advantage of the change over and charge the 12c cover price. 2c more than they should.

The upshot is that almost all the comics that arrived at Gordon and Gotch (the Australian distributor) around that time were stickered with a bright white "10c" tag right over the (printed) 12c. See below:

638336164_FF49Sticker.thumb.jpg.376f2b53ec8228c99d314fb08b3a9023.jpg

Here's the query. Remove the sticker, returning it to its original state or not? It can be done but it is fiddly.

Qualified or purple label?

I have a view but I'd rather listen to some other arguments first.

Depending on how you do it, it could still get a universal blue label with a grading note for sticker residue if I understand labeling criteria. If you were to use something detectable to clean it like alcohol, peroxide, goof-off, etc. I believe it would then receive a restoration purple label. Personally, I’d leave it. Gives the book a nice backstory.

Thanks for your input.

Now I know a lot of you are going to roll your eyes, but this was posted as a request from a (non-boardie) friend.

Anyway, it opened my eyes that CGC can detect sticker residue/cleansing agents. This I did not know.

I'll forward a link to this thread to the fellow who asked me.

Thanks again.