• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to read cover less comics?

10 posts in this topic

If this is in the wrong section, can a moderator please move it. I

i recently bought a big collection of mostly cover less comics. No key really or anything spectacular. Just some good reading material. However, I don’t want to disintegrate the pages prematurely. They’re discolored and starting to go brittle. Any advice on how to actually read these book and keep them intact?

There is nothing you can do to correct the damage that has already been done, however, you can prevent future damage...

If these coverless books are for reading only, with absolutely no monetary value then you can use an Archival Tape on the edges of the pages to prevent the pages from falling apart even more than they already are when touched, you can also (people will shudder at this) use Scotch Tape if all you are interested in is preserving them for reading.

If you choose not to do that, then...

When you read the book, lie it down on a flat surface, when turning the pages be very careful lifting the page and allow the page to fall on its own when turned.

To prevent any further damage store the books in the proper conditions.

Bag and Board (poly will be fine for inexpensive,coverless books), in a controlled temperature/moisture environment (no attics/unfinished basements/unfinished garages) away from all light, heat sources and water/excessive moisture.

5 hours ago, dshre00 said:

If this is in the wrong section, can a moderator please move it. I

i recently bought a big collection of mostly cover less comics. No key really or anything spectacular. Just some good reading material. However, I don’t want to disintegrate the pages prematurely. They’re discolored and starting to go brittle. Any advice on how to actually read these book and keep them intact?

pics?

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Looks like some good reading.  I would just read them even as they fell apart in my hands-as you said there's nothing major here.

That’s the plan for sure. I gave $4 for the whole box, so no big loss when they do fall apart. The guy would have chunked them if I hadn’t been there when they were brought in.