• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Getting Heat For Sups 1 Handling on FaceBk
2 2

129 posts in this topic

I trust experience CGC grader.  Gloves would be used if the paper, or book is very glossy that it will show fingerprints, but this book is none of that so it shouldn't be needed.  The experienced grader likely don't ever use gloves to grades.  The way he grades all the pages without hesitation is all you need to know about the grader, he knows what he is doing.  Try to flip the pages like the grader, I doubt we can flip it that gingerly and that fast.  I've sent sports cards for years, but recently with comics, by far the CGC is the most fair grader.  

Edited by bloodwings19

At first I couldn’t believe it was an actual Supes #1 he was manhandling. I thought it must be a facsimile. I don’t want to believe it was a real one.

5 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

C0F8381E-7AEE-446A-B17A-18F6F6370C25.jpeg

This is the moment in the video that I had a little problem with.  The last couple of interior pages and the front cover had a (fragile?) crease in the bottom corner.  IMO there's no reason to be putting this pressure on the bottom corner of a $150,000+ comic.  Move your left hand up a couple inches and move your right thumb up a couple inches to avoid the crease and finish your page count.  Maybe Matt had done a precheck to determine the integrity of the crease and the pages right there..... or not.  Matt's definitely a pro so I'll trust him, but appearances mean a lot, so a little more care would have gone a long way for a video.

Edited by gadzukes

3 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I hope you don't work at a restaurant. :baiting:

Funny you should say that. Most finer dining restaurants use bare hands to toss salad and to plate food. I mean, you scoop and use tongs to get from pan to plate but then fingers to stack or make it look pretty on the plate. Don't believe me? Ask some to thank the chef at a fine restaurant or peek in...they don't wear gloves and are washing hands constantly through the night so you aren't gonna catch anything. 

3 hours ago, manetteska said:

Is this video “upsetting” people who already send books to CGC or people already against grading comics (or against CGC specifically)?

I think it is upsetting people who have never seen them grade a book before, which to be honest, is a lot because do they show this kinda thing often? I also think it is offending people who have sent in what they thought were high grade books, intent on selling but they missed a small defect that CGC caught and blame them for the damage. Not saying they don't ever damage books but I'd be willing to bet that 9 out of 10 such complaints of people blaming CGC for something is because the person submitting never flipped through the book or just didn't catch a minor defect. 

Basically, those who saw this and their first thought upon seeing the book was "oh that is an expensive book, I bet it could sell for xxx amount" are the people most upset. Those who saw it and said "wow, what an epic book that guy is so lucky it came across his table" are likely to be of the camp that no real harm was done. 

36 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

This is the moment in the video that I had a little problem with.  The last couple of interior pages and the front cover had a crease in the bottom corner.  IMO there's no reason to be putting this pressure on the bottom corner of a $150,000+ comic.  Move your left hand up a couple inches and move your right thumb up a couple inches to avoid the crease and finish your page count.  Maybe Matt had done a precheck to determine the integrity of the crease and the pages right there..... or not.  Matt's definitely a pro so I'll trust him, but appearances mean a lot, so a little more care would have gone a long way for a video.

And having seen in a couple times, I agree. Especially if you are releasing such a vid to the public where you know there are people 10x more particular than needed watching. Whatever. They owned it with a good response about no gloves and how an experienced grader can handle with speed and care. But I do think adding pressure there could have been avoided just to please the masses. 

If given a chance to handle a book like this outside a sleeve, I'd probably decline. I would be too nervous. I would surmise that many of the critics of that video suffer from a similar stunned enamoration around books of that value and significance. It's practically a supernatural talisman in the imagination of many run of the mill collectors like myself.

For a professional grader, a high end collector, or a dealer who handles these somewhat routinely, it's not such an emotional, awestruck event.

With all that mind, it certainly felt rather carefree, and the water, capped or not, is just boneheaded.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

46 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Funny you should say that. Most finer dining restaurants use bare hands to toss salad and to plate food. I mean, you scoop and use tongs to get from pan to plate but then fingers to stack or make it look pretty on the plate. Don't believe me? Ask some to thank the chef at a fine restaurant or peek in...they don't wear gloves and are washing hands constantly through the night so you aren't gonna catch anything. 

One of the first things that came to mind when I saw that video was I had sent in a few Wolverine #1's that I bought off the rack, bagged and boarded them back in the day.  I sent them to get graded and the graders notes all of them came back that they had finger prints on the back cover which really surprised me since I never read them and was always very careful with them.  Also I have never gotten that graders notes on any of my other submissions that I personally bought off the rack in the 80's. Now that I saw that video I can not rule out that those are not my finger prints! 

Edited by Xenosmilus

Just now, Xenosmilus said:

One of the first things that come to mind when I saw that video was I had sent in a few Wolverine #1's that I bought off the rack, bagged and boarded them back in the day.  I sent them to get graded and the graders notes all of them came back that they had finger prints on the back cover which really surprised me since I never read them and was always very careful with them.  Also I have never gotten that graders notes on any of my other submissions that I personally bought off the rack in the 80's. Now that I saw that video I can not rule out that those are not my finger prints! 

If you bought off the rack, it is conceivable that others handled it before you. If they did leave finger prints, i would complain. Also, they can be removed unless its like super greasy grime. 

1 minute ago, comicginger1789 said:

If you bought off the rack, it is conceivable that others handled it before you. If they did leave finger prints, i would complain. Also, they can be removed unless its like super greasy grime. 

Yeah, I can't blame them out right but it makes think hmmmmm.

18 hours ago, Steelrain41 said:

I was actually going to post something similar. I haven't seen a single positive comment on their post, just a lot of  angry collectors lol. The way he bends the cover almost in half while counting and pulling pages apart... I cringe watching it. If it was my book I'd be upset.

Any bets that if this was a HG copy of a book in the 9.4 to 9.6 grade range to start, there's probably a good chance it would drop below that grade range by the time they finished counting the pages if it was handled in the exact same fashion.  hm  :censored:

17 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Lotta spine stress dished out there, from careless handling of the book's own weight, it seems. Wow. I would have stopped that in process, early on, if I were its owner. 

While I do think it illustrates that even very old books are sometimes more durable than we think, that was still far too cavalier for me.

Have you ever bothered to pay and checked some of the Graders Notes for books that you are interested in bidding on?  :gossip:

It's amazing how much emphasis is being placed on spine stresses and non-color breaking creases identified in every little portion of the book.  Now I guess we know where some of them are coming from.  hm

No worries though and definitely no appearance of a conflict of interest here  :devil:, since these can be easily taken care of if you are willing to kick some extra money in the direction of their sister company and then pay them all over again to have the book regraded a second time.  :mad:  :censored:

7 hours ago, bloodwings19 said:

The way he grades all the pages without hesitation is all you need to know about the grader, he knows what he is doing.  Try to flip the pages like the grader, I doubt we can flip it that gingerly and that fast.

Are you seriously trying to tell speculators who spend tons of money playing the CPR game and buyers who pay multiples more for a CGC 9.8 graded copy of a book as compared to a CGC 9.6 graded copy, that whoever can flip the pages the fastest on a book is the one that is the best at grading and knows the most about what he is doing?  :facepalm:  :screwy:

BTW:  I believe he was only flipping through the book to count the pages and not grading the book.  At least I hope so, because if he was doing both at the same time in this little video here, that would definitely be a real cause for concern.  hm

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Any bets that if this was a HG copy of a book in the 9.4 to 9.6 grade range to start, there's probably a good chance it would drop below that grade range by the time they finished counting the pages if it was handled in the exact same fashion.  hm  :censored:

I 100% think so. Plus all of my Golden Age books have thicker feeling covers so I think there's a good chance that bend would show. I'm not an expert and maybe that's a good way to do it, however for the amount I pay CGC grading my books I would ask they treat them with some delicacy. Just my opinion.