• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this make sense?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

So after the todd mcfarlane signing i have gone nuts going through my collection to accumulate as many signatures on my coms as much as possible.  I just got back my todd father signing and i noticed on my spawn one label it says george perez did a pinup poster in the issue.  I know he is at Megacon this year.  Does it make sense to have him sign spawn 1?  I would assume it would not be hurtful to the value.

Edited by god503

Walk through the pros and cons for your personal preferences and situation 

5 minutes ago, revat said:

Walk through the pros and cons for your personal preferences and situation 

I agree, this is a personal choice.  One can make arguments for and against the addition adding overall value.  

Here's an example i saw recently...  I saw on ebay a Magneto #0  for sale.  it had jim lee and claremont sigs.  They had nothing to do with this book.  Would you assume those signatures added value to that book?

5 hours ago, god503 said:

Here's an example i saw recently...  I saw on ebay a Magneto #0  for sale.  it had jim lee and claremont sigs.  They had nothing to do with this book.  Would you assume those signatures added value to that book?

the question has a lot of moving parts.  there is a certain amount of time and effort in order to get a sig done (but those might vary), including sig fees, grading, time spent at conventions, maybe pressing, shipping, etc, and then the resulting grade is also a factor in the 'worth it' question.  The grade is also a huge factor.

So the question is not necessarily just about added value, but is the value added HIGHER than the cost of getting the signature done.  And even then, what about the risk of a lowered grade?  What about the time while your money is invested for months?  What profit margins are WORTH IT TO YOU SPECIFICALLY (everyone has different preferences)? 

I would say this:  You gotta work out your math on your own.  You might have to do some price comparisons of your own, and extrapolate some data where there aren't obvious comparisons.

Also very generally, there is less of a market for sigs of creators who have nothing to do with the book, although there are probably exceptions in some cases.

Also: I'm pretty sure Claremont wrote at least one of the stories in Magneto 0.  But for that example, if they bought the book at cover price and got it signed along time ago when Jim Lee and Claremont were signing for free, then $4 book plus 1 hr waiting in line at a convention plus $30 CGC and return shipping might have netted an easier potential profit.  But if you bought the book graded blue 9.8 already for $40, then spent another $40 getting signed, your chances of profit are way lower, obviously.  Or maybe they just made bad choices, who knows.  But its not their math that is important, its yours.  (PEOPLE MAKE TERRIBLE CGC SS ALL THE TIME, so don't waste your time thinking about the logic of others, just yours)

If you want a more definitive answer from the people to your original question, you will need to lay out more of your specific concerns as well as your preferences and situation.  Though once you've thought those out, you may have already answered your own question.

Well in a nutshell....  is an insert in a book done by another artist justification enough to have said artist sign the cover of said book?  Removing the monetary aspect and effort aspect.  Would such a book intrege you?   

Now on a personal note, I would never have a Hollywood actor sign any of my books just because they played the character.  And I say that owning a copy of hulk 181 and I would NOT let Hugh Jackman near it!  I'd rather have him sign my wife's boobs....  and for the record so would she!   Lol

Personally, and for my own collection, I like to get signatures of creators who are a little unusual for a given book, like a pin-up artist or even if a fan letter is published from someone who's now a pro. I recognize this likely makes them less valuable on the resale market, but I think it expands the breadth of my collection.  So, would you get a Todd signature on Spawn 1? I counted 68 Spawn #1 CGC SS by Todd on eBay. 68!  So how could yours stand out?  Another sig from someone *slightly* related, perhaps?  I also saw several of the Rust issues with the Spawn ad signed by Todd, isn't this a very similar thing?  One page of a book related to the signer.  What about variant covers signed by the cover artist?  Does Skottie Young or Artgerm have anything to do with the regular comic? I don't think a George Perez pin-up inside is really that different.

31 minutes ago, wardevil0 said:

Personally, and for my own collection, I like to get signatures of creators who are a little unusual for a given book, like a pin-up artist or even if a fan letter is published from someone who's now a pro. I recognize this likely makes them less valuable on the resale market, but I think it expands the breadth of my collection.  So, would you get a Todd signature on Spawn 1? I counted 68 Spawn #1 CGC SS by Todd on eBay. 68!  So how could yours stand out?  Another sig from someone *slightly* related, perhaps?  I also saw several of the Rust issues with the Spawn ad signed by Todd, isn't this a very similar thing?  One page of a book related to the signer.  What about variant covers signed by the cover artist?  Does Skottie Young or Artgerm have anything to do with the regular comic? I don't think a George Perez pin-up inside is really that different.

Thats is my thinking.  A George perez signature on a spawn 1 would make it more unique.  

12 hours ago, god503 said:

Well in a nutshell....  is an insert in a book done by another artist justification enough to have said artist sign the cover of said book?  Removing the monetary aspect and effort aspect.  Would such a book intrege you?   

Now on a personal note, I would never have a Hollywood actor sign any of my books just because they played the character.  And I say that owning a copy of hulk 181 and I would NOT let Hugh Jackman near it!  I'd rather have him sign my wife's boobs....  and for the record so would she!   Lol

Well in a nutshell......its your prerogative as stated.  If it makes the book more unique to you then that is all the reason you need.  Whether its uniqure to someone else is entirely different and can be debated.      

On a personal note.....Before you incur the wrath of CGC SS celebrity collectors worldwide, you will have several that think differently and again that is their prerogative.  Although I do not think many would put Jackman on Hulk 181.  I too own Hulk 181 and do not have Jackman on it but own a few others with him which are both unique and high value.   

Again, it all comes down what YOU want, what YOU collect, and why YOU collect it.    

1 hour ago, ivdyer said:

Well in a nutshell......its your prerogative as stated.  If it makes the book more unique to you then that is all the reason you need.  Whether its uniqure to someone else is entirely different and can be debated.      

On a personal note.....Before you incur the wrath of CGC SS celebrity collectors worldwide, you will have several that think differently and again that is their prerogative.  Although I do not think many would put Jackman on Hulk 181.  I too own Hulk 181 and do not have Jackman on it but own a few others with him which are both unique and high value.   

Again, it all comes down what YOU want, what YOU collect, and why YOU collect it.    

You are correct  I mean no disrespect with those that collect actor sigs for there books.  I wouldn't do it as i would want people associated with that particular book in some way whether its story art pencil production etc. i should have worded it better.

15 minutes ago, god503 said:
2 hours ago, ivdyer said:

You are correct  I mean no disrespect with those that collect actor sigs for there books.  I wouldn't do it as i would want people associated with that particular book in some way whether its story art pencil production etc. i should have worded it better.

I think you're ok, just illustrates that different people like different stuff in their collections.  Sounds like you value relative uniqueness with regards to your signed books compared to other considerations, at least with respect to Spawn 1.  If I were you I'd consider why you want Spawn 1 signed by George Perez instead of some other book where Perez did the whole book as opposed to a poster (or maybe you're doing that too), or why no one else seems to have gotten the book signed by Perez.  And after having considered those and the various potential rationales, if you still want the Perez sig, that means you really want it and should probably get it.

30 minutes ago, revat said:

I think you're ok, just illustrates that different people like different stuff in their collections.  Sounds like you value relative uniqueness with regards to your signed books compared to other considerations, at least with respect to Spawn 1.  If I were you I'd consider why you want Spawn 1 signed by George Perez instead of some other book where Perez did the whole book as opposed to a poster (or maybe you're doing that too), or why no one else seems to have gotten the book signed by Perez.  And after having considered those and the various potential rationales, if you still want the Perez sig, that means you really want it and should probably get it.

Its the uniqueness of not seeing it on ebay 68 times like a previous poster mention.  Add the fact that george perez is up there in age and who knows how long he will be doing signings.  My hesitation was based on an included pin up poster was enough to justify his sig on the book.  I'm inclined to do it.  Thanks all.  

1 hour ago, god503 said:

My hesitation was based on an included pin up poster was enough to justify his sig on the book

That's a good enough reason for me to do it...long as the person has contributed something in that issue I'm fine getting them to sign it