• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Internet Dealers Charging tax ??
1 1

4 posts in this topic

My art collecting has slowed  during the last year and I haven't dealt with any dealers lately except for in person at Cons(no tax). I understand that the auction houses have all started taxing their sales but recently I tried a new internet dealer and found that they were automatically adding sales tax to the purchase . My question is: Is that the norm now for internet purchases from a dealer to charge tax? 

16 hours ago, rrichards said:

My art collecting has slowed  during the last year and I haven't dealt with any dealers lately except for in person at Cons(no tax). I understand that the auction houses have all started taxing their sales but recently I tried a new internet dealer and found that they were automatically adding sales tax to the purchase . My question is: Is that the norm now for internet purchases from a dealer to charge tax? 

Hi,

Not in my experience.  But charging a % for paying with paypal, is a becoming the new norm.

It's actually the legitimate thing to do for many sellers who formalize their businesses and have to charge as they pay the state sales tax.  I think it's rather shady when dealers start to ask buyers to pay cash or other methods to circumvent paying sales tax. 

My pet peeve is really the businesses, not individual hobby sellers, who run websites and seem so petty to charge a surcharge if you use a credit card or insist on Pay Pal "personal" to circumvent merchant fees.  I'd rather them just boost their pricing by 5% across the board to account for that 3% merchant fee they're so worried about absorbing.  It seems so petty and amateur.