• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To remove or not remove?

19 posts in this topic

Hi guys !

I was wondering what most of you would do with this MAD 21.

I bought this last weekend at C2E2 and the grade assigned was a .5, I know there is some staining on the book but a .5? Anyway it has an extra staple in the middle of the book that is not holding the book together. If I remove it the cover will still be attached.

So what would you do? Im leaning on removing because I dont like it. But I like to hear why I should or shouldn't!

651099634_Scan2020-3-221_13_37.thumb.jpg.eee1deb22cb29a970a33fb7052bf505e.jpg

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

I had a 2.0 that had extra staples added, and they didnt do anything either. So I removed them. 

At a .5, it's not like anything you do can lower the grade anyway.

+1  As far as grade impeding defects, the moderate moisture spots and their robust tide lines outweigh and supersede considerations over the impact of an extra staple, removed or not..

if its a low grade staple holes wont do much to affect the grade but I would double check that staple and make sure its not holding a interior page together or centerfold. Then if your 100% sure its holding nothing together I would take it out carefully.

14 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

if its a low grade staple holes wont do much to affect the grade but I would double check that staple and make sure its not holding a interior page together or centerfold. Then if your 100% sure its holding nothing together I would take it out carefully.

It's probably there for a reason, as its location appears to be strategically chosen and precisely placed. Like Capra wisely mentioned, leaving it alone is probably the smart play.

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

It's probably there for a reason, as its location appears to be strategically chosen and precisely placed. Like Capra wisely mentioned, leaving it alone is probably the smart play.

yeah that was my initial thought, that its holding something together, that's why I mentioned to check if its holding a interior page or centerfold together.. Capra only said leave it alone cause he didn't like staple holes lol... I'll give it a lucked into a good answer there lol.

also note I read that Capra as Cr a pa lol 

2 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

yeah that was my initial thought, that its holding something together, that's why I mentioned to check if its holding a interior page or centerfold together.. Capra only said leave it alone cause he didn't like staple holes lol... I'll give it a lucked into a good answer there lol.

:pullhair:

:cry:

I've devolved into supplying humor without including my logical reason as to why.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

:pullhair:

:cry:

I've devolved into supplying humor without including my logical reason as to why.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Krismusic said:

Did you do a page review to assure that both sides of each page wrap are all there and that the extra staple wasn't placed to secure only half of one of the wraps; possibly 1 page missing?

Edited by James J Johnson

7 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Did you do a page review to assure that both sides of each page wrap are all there and that the extra staple wasn't placed to secure only half of one of the wraps; possibly 1 page missing?

I think you meant to tag @Raze the OP as its not my book lol.. just giving advice on what to do about the staple is all.

Edited by Krismusic

13 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

I think you meant to tag @Raze the OP as its not my book lol.. just giving advice on what to do about the staple is all.

I'm going to do that now. Staple placement leads me to believe that a missing half a wrap may be the reason for its location. Also, the depth shadow around the perimeter that a book's thickness casts in scanning or photos seems to me to be leaner than expected. Now this could be caused by a missing page or pages, as I suspect here, so a page review would be well advised.

17 hours ago, Raze said:

Hi guys !

I was wondering what most of you would do with this MAD 21.

I bought this last weekend at C2E2 and the grade assigned was a .5, I know there is some staining on the book but a .5? Anyway it has an extra staple in the middle of the book that is not holding the book together. If I remove it the cover will still be attached.

So what would you do? Im leaning on removing because I dont like it. But I like to hear why I should or shouldn't!

651099634_Scan2020-3-221_13_37.thumb.jpg.eee1deb22cb29a970a33fb7052bf505e.jpg

27 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I thought I did but it cant hurt to double check. So ill do that when I get home.

1 hour ago, Raze said:

I thought I did but it cant hurt to double check. So ill do that when I get home.

Without opening the book up flat, and still cradling it in your hand, try to look as close as possible to the spine at each page, to make sure each page is wrapped around and not an isolated page with half of it's wrap missing. Now, some Golden age books are actually manufactured that way (with half a wrap yet complete), but very few, and not this one.  

So, I just did a page count and it is complete! And upon looking at the book again, I think the staple was placed there because the over is nearly hanging on at both staples in the front half of the comic.

I really want to take it out but I think I will listen to you guys and keep it in there for now.

Thanks for the the opinions and advice!!!

4 hours ago, Raze said:

So, I just did a page count and it is complete! And upon looking at the book again, I think the staple was placed there because the over is nearly hanging on at both staples in the front half of the comic.

I really want to take it out but I think I will listen to you guys and keep it in there for now.

Thanks for the the opinions and advice!!!

Good choice. At least the staple is keeping it thoroughly intact and with the stains and tide lines present isn't as detrimental to the technical grade as the staple would be without the stains. Enjoy it as is! It's a nice piece to own.