• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Corona virus affected any cons yet?
7 7

434 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, dupont2005 said:

That’s not accurate. And it’s not what your source claimed either. The two viruses are related but they’re not the same. Minute differences in biology can equal hide differences in the diseases spread and mortality rate. This isn’t SARS. It hasn’t been around for decades that I can see, although it could have been around a few years before the global outbreak. Do you understand what macro evolution is? You know these things evolve at a rate fast enough to observe under a microscope, and the changes in biology over the course of a couple years is a huge deal. 

Its a Corona virus. SARS was too. So have need others just like a NOVEL isnt what you posted

32 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

When i hear that a 47 year old healthy Lifeguard/Firefighter/Competitive Surfer drops dead from it (me), i'll worry. I have Medical Background and unless you  are Ill, old, ill health background (i.e Asthma, Heart Disease..Ect) you're more likely to die from a car accident than a virus thats been around for decades... New strain, same results..like the Flu. Old, Ill health, young ect. 

This has not been around for decades,  not sure what to make of that statement. Also I guess you don’t have any old folks you’re fond of or possibly love, if it doesn’t affect you, who cares?

1 minute ago, Randall Dowling said:

Keep scrolling down...

MY POINT WAS ITS BEING USED OUT OF CONTEXT DUDE. GET A GRIP. YOU ARENT GOING TO DIE. ITS A FLU LIKE THING. Then again you live in Cali which is why i moved back to Florida and reality....

1 minute ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

This has not been around for decades,  not sure what to make of that statement. Also I guess you don’t have any old folks you’re fond of or possibly love, if it doesn’t affect you, who cares?

Actually Corona is DECADES old....many

Edited by KryptoSpidey

1 minute ago, KryptoSpidey said:

Its a Corona virus. SARS was too. So have need others just like a NOVEL isnt what you posted

We are primates. Apes are primates. We aren’t the same thing as apes, and we haven’t been around nearly as long, although we share almost entirely the same DNA.

COVID-19 didn’t exist before 2019

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus

Just now, dupont2005 said:

We are primates. Apes are primates. We aren’t the same thing as apes, and we haven’t been around nearly as long, although we share almost entirely the same DNA.

COVID-19 didn’t exist before 2019

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus

No one said it did

20 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

I was just quoting what was written. Its not a novel virus its been around for decades. Read above...People are calling it NOVEL because it was in A NOVEL written years ago.....my other facts above are point on. PROVE ME WRONG im in the medical field

7 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Someone said it has existed for decades. How could it possibly be in a Crichton novel if it didn’t exist when he was alive? 

Again done with this banter. Go find a shelter underground

@KryptoSpidey I think you’re perception is that everyone is panicking and it’s not really that bad.   You may be correct.  But the stakes are pretty high to be wrong about this.  I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m trying to tell you that there are people that have done nothing but study disease and epidemiology for many decades and they are saying the following:

-this is not like the flu.  It kills at a much, much higher rate than the flu.

-this can be contained and minimized but the response has to be appropriate or it will get out of control

-bad or incorrect information will only make this worse.

I hope you can understand those recommendations and stay safe.  :foryou:

4 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

@KryptoSpidey I think you’re perception is that everyone is panicking and it’s not really that bad.   You may be correct.  But the stakes are pretty high to be wrong about this.  I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m trying to tell you that there are people that have done nothing but study disease and epidemiology for many decades and they are saying the following:

-this is not like the flu.  It kills at a much, much higher rate than the flu.

-this can be contained and minimized but the response has to be appropriate or it will get out of control

-bad or incorrect information will only make this worse.

I hope you can understand those recommendations and stay safe.  :foryou:

Totally understood. My point was and is simple (sorry lost internet there for a few)....this iS NOT NEW: I said its been around decades....its not new..it's a NEW STRAIN...just like the FLU EVERY YEAR....this TOO will pass

Coronaviruses are a family of viruses known for containing strains that cause potentially deadly diseases in mammals and birds. In humans they're typically spread via airborne droplets of fluid produced by infected individuals.

Some rare but notable strains, including SARS-CoV-2 (responsible for COVID-19), and those responsible for severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS), can cause death in humans.

First described in detail in the 1960s, the coronavirus gets its name from a distinctive corona or 'crown' of sugary-proteins that projects from the envelope surrounding the particle. Encoding the virus's make-up is the longest genome of any RNA-based virus – a single strand of nucleic acid roughly 26,000 to 32,000 bases long. 

There are four known genuses in the family, named Alphacoronavirus, Betacoronavirus, Gammacoronavirus, and Deltacoronavirus. The first two only infect mammals, including bats, pigs, cats, and humans. Gammacoronavirus mostly infects birds such as poultry, while Deltacoronavirus can infect both birds and mammals.

7 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

Totally understood. My point was and is simple (sorry lost internet there for a few)....this iS NOT NEW: I said its been around decades....its not new..it's a NEW STRAIN

ToeMAYtoe vs. ToeMAHtoe

Its a new virus.  It's part of a well known family of viruses that have been identified for decades.  

This seems like an argument without a purpose as you are both, from your own perspectives, correct.