• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Corona virus affected any cons yet?
7 7

434 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Bookery said:

We only do a minor business on eBay... but beginning this week I'm suspending mail order.  I don't see how it helps things to have me or my staff standing in long lines at the post office.  The bigger volume guys, of course, probably have the post office or UPS pick up stuff directly at their businesses.  But I was wondering... as postal workers come down with the virus (and they will) will they be shutting down affected branches, or at the least won't this be shorting their abilities to keep up with deliveries?  I suspect it's already getting challenging without that, as everyone is increasing their online orders.

I don't actually go into my post office - I prepay postage and my post office has a drop off box just inside the door.  I do have to push in one door but I sanitize right after I leave so my interaction is very minimal.  I'll probably try to get pickups scheduled especially if we get quarantined in our house.

Casualty on my side, Cape Town ComicCon cancelled, pretty sad about that, it's not everyday talent like Artgerm, Mark Brooks or Derrick Chew come to South Africa, so who knows when next I might get a change to meet them :(

Now to see what the refund stuff is like for the plane tickets.

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

We only do a minor business on eBay... but beginning this week I'm suspending mail order.  I don't see how it helps things to have me or my staff standing in long lines at the post office.  The bigger volume guys, of course, probably have the post office or UPS pick up stuff directly at their businesses.  But I was wondering... as postal workers come down with the virus (and they will) will they be shutting down affected branches, or at the least won't this be shorting their abilities to keep up with deliveries?  I suspect it's already getting challenging without that, as everyone is increasing their online orders.

I went to the post office this morning. There were a couple of people in line, all standing far apart. The postal clerk was in a very foul mood and let everyone know about his displeasure that the USPS is still open for business. This whole situation appears to be causing some grim psychological reactions in the populous.

There is another post office nearby that has an automated kiosk and drop off bin so I have the option of avoiding people altogether; however I'm also thinking of pulling all of my online listings and hitting the pause button on selling for a bit. 

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

There is another post office nearby that has an automated kiosk and drop off bin so I have the option of avoiding people altogether; however I'm also thinking of pulling all of my online listings and hitting the pause button on selling for a bit. 

The risks of venturing out to drop off a package are pretty minimal if you pre-pay.  I'd keep up the listings.  Income is income, and it is good to have a diversion.  Also, I think those that can will want to buy during this time because it is a diversion for buyers also.

Now forgive me if I may have missed it within any of the several coronavirus-related threads currently on page 1, but has anyone on the forum mentioned knowing anyone personally who has contracted coronavirus? I haven't read all of the threads, all of the posts, so I may have missed it if mentioned, so I ask.

4 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Now forgive me if I may have missed it within any of the several coronavirus-related threads currently on page 1, but has anyone on the forum mentioned knowing anyone personally who has contracted coronavirus? I haven't read all of the threads, all of the posts, so I may have missed it if mentioned, so I ask.

Yes, I do -- including one death.

4 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I was going to ask the same question with a dedicated thread.

6 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

The risks of venturing out to drop off a package are pretty minimal if you pre-pay.  I'd keep up the listings.  Income is income, and it is good to have a diversion.  Also, I think those that can will want to buy during this time because it is a diversion for buyers also.

Or we could all pause shipping non-essential stuff so USPS and the others can ship important medical equipment and general supplies needed by families to make it thru this.  I think we all have a stack of comics we can read (or re-read) while this blows over.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 10:31 PM, lou_fine said:

No, the numbers aren't fake, as they are simply incomplete which then has the potential to result in misleading percentages.

For example, if you are talking about the death rate, it is most likely overstated at this point in time since you are dividing by a number (i.e. total number of cases) that is severely understated because testing is still NOT YET in place to give us an accurate count with respect to this number.  hm

Completely agree, the math on COVID suggests no greater than a 4.1% morality rate but since we don't know the actual number of cases (due to limited testing) the true number is probably just a fraction of that.

1 hour ago, JJ-4 said:

Completely agree, the math on COVID suggests no greater than a 4.1% morality rate but since we don't know the actual number of cases (due to limited testing) the true number is probably just a fraction of that.

There are also people dying of COVID-19 type symptoms who aren’t being diagnosed. The fact that the diagnosis and death rates follow the same lines make me think they’re fairly accurate and we aren’t missing hundreds of thousands of infected people out there

current mortality rate is 10% internationally, 59% in USA among resolved cases. But even if it were 4.1% that is still a horrifying statistic.

Edited by dupont2005

16 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

There are also people dying of COVID-19 type symptoms who aren’t being diagnosed. The fact that the diagnosis and death rates follow the same lines make me think they’re fairly accurate and we aren’t missing hundreds of thousands of infected people out there

current mortality rate is 10% internationally, 59% in USA among resolved cases. But even if it were 4.1% that is still a horrifying statistic.

I don't know where you get your numbers but the current mortality rate is 4.1% internationally using stats directly from WHO, 7,426 of 179,111 but like I said earlier the denominator is vastly understated so the actual rate is much lower.  Don't get me wrong, this is a very serious issue that is affecting people around the globe but you should not freak out if you are not part of the at risk population.  Practice social distancing and self quarantine if you have any symptoms.

1 hour ago, JJ-4 said:

I don't know where you get your numbers but the current mortality rate is 4.1% internationally using stats directly from WHO, 7,426 of 179,111 but like I said earlier the denominator is vastly understated so the actual rate is much lower.  Don't get me wrong, this is a very serious issue that is affecting people around the globe but you should not freak out if you are not part of the at risk population.  Practice social distancing and self quarantine if you have any symptoms.

If you have any symptoms you shouldn't be "social distancing" you should be in "self isolation".

Social distancing and self isolation are things that should be done even if you don't have any symptoms...

Edited by pemart1966

14 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

...Where can I order guns online?

Plenty of places, but they need to be shipped to an FFL, where you'll have to pass a background check, and receive required registration papers, etc etc etc...

:baiting:

People, seemingly all of a sudden, are confused by the fact that they can't have guns shipped to their front door. :roflmao:

1 hour ago, JJ-4 said:

There must have been 2400 deaths since you last checked 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

10% mortality globally, 61% within the US

Edited by dupont2005

21 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Toilet paper is yesterday's shortage. Where can I order guns online?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/business/coronavirus-gun-sales/index.html

People wait in a line to enter a gun store in Culver City, Calif., Sunday, March 15, 2020.

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Plenty of places, but they need to be shipped to an FFL, where you'll have to pass a background check, and receive required registration papers, etc etc etc...

People, seemingly all of a sudden, are confused by the fact that they can't have guns shipped to their front door. :roflmao:

I thought they were lining up to sell their guns... lol as in that they needed to sell them to get toilet paper..

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I forgot to add that I am in Canada...