• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wild Wacky World of Esoteric Oddball Comics!
5 5

303 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Robot Man, I do enjoy the books you post. It makes me want to go find them and bring em into the fold

Hey Caesar, it's not really that hard or expensive to get many of the ones I have posted. You just gotta dig in con boxes. Ferget the "wall" books. The nutty stuff is hidden away just waiting to be discovered by those willing to do a little work...  Tip  :gossip: Look in the forgotton humor boxes...

On 3/7/2020 at 9:29 PM, eccomic said:

I love esoteric...here we go

IMG_0609.jpg

I used to do a lot of exploring in the woods around my small Georgia town.  Mostly enjoying the hikes, but also looking for bottle bumps and whatever weird things might come my way.

One day I found the ruins of an abandoned house, and next to it a shed that was falling apart.  The house was too dangerous to go into, but the shed was small and leaning to one side but seemed stable enough to explore.  It had a loft and I could see a dilapidated trunk at the back of the loft (which really perked my interest).  I was carefully able to get the trunk down.  The top of the trunk had holes in it so rain had gotten into it so I knew what ever might be inside was probably severely damaged.  My comic book mind always thinks, "Please please please have an Action Comics 1" inside.

Long story short.... when I got it open there was a bunch of World War II USO items inside: pamphlets, flyers, etc... all in horrendously bad shape.  AND THERE WAS A STACK OF COMICS!!!!  All the comics were the same.  It looked to be some sort of USO giveaway comic.  The stack was severely damaged by rodents, bugs, rain.  Not one comic was complete.  It was kind of like throwing 20 comics into a blender for 10 seconds and then pouring out the contents.  In looking at the pieces I was able to at least get the gist of the story.  The comic was called "Little Willie" and the story was a warning to US soldiers abroad about hooking up with whores.  "Little Willie" woke up with all kinds of sores on his "Little Willie" and had to go to the Doctor.

The comics were in such bad shape that I left them there at the shed, but I kind of wished that I had put together the jigsaw puzzle to complete one of the comics.

This "Little Willie" comic in the pic above is the same comic I found.  

The CGC label states "no date", but if my memory serves me... every USO item in that shed was from WWII.  

Edited by gadzukes

14 hours ago, comicjack said:

1033394443_bigtop.thumb.jpeg.4c008e39385936420d784cfd896d378e.jpeg

The Circus Genre is interesting. I have a real nice copy of a BARKER comic from Quality (scan not handy.) Crazy to think you could sell a title about the guy who shouted in front of the circus. But the circus was big business until television grabbed everyone's attention. Where else could you see all this great stuff in real life!