• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay's "Send Offer" function...
3 3

74 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, kav said:

she's entitled to her entitlement!!! :makepoint:

Apparently 'entitled' is the new trigger word.  I just got thrown out of the Long Island Authentic Reviews of Business Group on Facebook which is pretty impressive considering that there are 28k members.  

An individual was bashing a business I sometimes frequent because they did not want to honor her cell phone photo of the coupon they had recently offered. Many were trying to explain to them that businesses never honor those one and done coupons that they send in the mail to a person's residence.  (Says so on the coupon.)  The individual was getting nasty with everyone for their criticism.  

I, stooooooooopidly, offered my two cents. 

Said that they should pay attention that so many people are pointing out they were wrong and then I said the 'trigger' word... that their entitlement was astounding that they thought they should be above the rules for everyone else. 

I didn't know that they were an administrator of the group. lol 

Poof and blocked.   They did not like the word entitlement. 

So... I have another facebook account now just so I can get recommendations and ideas about local businesses.  Joined up again this week.  

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Apparently 'entitled' is the new trigger word.  I just got thrown out of the Long Island Authentic Reviews of Business Group on Facebook which is pretty impressive considering that there are 28k members.  

An individual was bashing a business I sometimes frequent because they did not want to honor her cell phone photo of the coupon they had recently offered. Many were trying to explain to them that businesses never honor those one and done coupons that they send in the mail to a person's residence.  (Says so on the coupon.)  The individual was getting nasty with everyone for their criticism.  

I, stooooooooopidly, offered my two cents. 

Said that they should pay attention that so many people are pointing out they were wrong and then I said the 'trigger' word... that their entitlement was astounding that they thought they should be above the rules for everyone else. 

I didn't know that they were an administrator of the group. lol 

Poof and blocked.   They did not like the word entitlement. 

So... I have another facebook account now just so I can get recommendations and ideas about local businesses.  Joined up again this week.  

If you have freind in grp you can do this:  my buddy got booted after he went after admin so I posted why did he get booted he broke none of this group's rules-I posted screencap of rules.  Once it was highlighted he was invited back.  admin didnt want the blowback.

39 minutes ago, kav said:

If you have freind in grp you can do this:  my buddy got booted after he went after admin so I posted why did he get booted he broke none of this group's rules-I posted screencap of rules.  Once it was highlighted he was invited back.  admin didnt want the blowback.

lol I was blocked before I was even accepted on the other account.  Guess I should not have used 'Andrew" as the first name and reapplied the day I was booted. oh well. 

I've used it a few times.  It helps when buying Marvel pence copies, because the USD to GBP exchange rate can be rough.  If sellers offered more at a price in the range of maybe something like free, I'm sure I would hop on it more.  But yes, it has worked for me as a buyer and seller.

Keep in mind that you can only make an offer to a potential buyer once.  So if you make an offer to those watching your item and you have 14 people watching then 14 offers go out.  However next week if you decide to offer something lower after seeing 17 people watching then only three offers are going out. 

I am currently holding off on making any offers until the next eBay bucks incentive is offered across the site to really give the buyers something to consider. 

I was under the assumption that "Send Offer" can only be sent out to active watchers, but this morning I got an offer for an item that was never on my watch list. I was on my browsing history but never actively watched it -- weird, and this is bordering on unsolicited.

2 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Sounds it was a notice from ebay as opposed to an offer sent by the seller.

Nope, definitely an offer. It says (directly off the eBay item):

You received an offer
Other buyers may have received this offer. The first to accept, gets the deal.
Seller's Offer
$nnn.nn
Expires in
43h 37m

21 hours ago, bobotski said:

I was under the assumption that "Send Offer" can only be sent out to active watchers, but this morning I got an offer for an item that was never on my watch list. I was on my browsing history but never actively watched it -- weird, and this is bordering on unsolicited.

I noticed this a few weeks when I went to go send an offer to someone on a book that only had 1 watcher but then eBay told me they would send it to 2 potential buyers.  There are also times I have a book that has 10+  watchers, I send the offer and it says it will send the offer to 4 potential buyers.  Maybe it tracks if the eBay account is actively purchasing, or if the item was added to a shopping cart.  Not sure.  

As a buyer I understand the basic function of this, or at least how it promotes.  The problem with it, though, is there is no way to remove or refuse the offer as a buyer. 9 out of 10 times if the offer was decent I may bite but they are usually like 1-5%off. So if you were previously taking offers or had a buyout, I can't do anything until the offer you just sent expires. Then I have to get into messaging people and if you are new to me, I can find something very similar in about 2 minutes.

At the end of the day make it easy for the buyer, which will take some more tweaking by ebay.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:04 AM, Point Five said:

I noticed that ebay added this function, a year or so ago I think. If you have watchers on your BIN auctions, you can send them an unsolicited private offer lower than the BIN and see if they bite.

This seems... intrusive somehow? As sellers, do you use this function and successfully sell books with it? As buyers, if you receive offers like this out of the blue do they do anything but annoy you? Any input appreciated.

Some sellers immediately assume you want to buy their product because you accidentally grazed past it. I've occasionally watched something and received an offer, sometimes I've bit. I don't find it totally intrusive but say someone you have bought off before sees you watching then they guilt you into buying.