• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,284 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

The JIUW is a Harry Anderson cover.

And has been recognized as such for over a decade.  CGC's system will keep pulling original data forward for labels until it is brought to their attention for a new submit; reference must also be made to a published source for the credit change such as GCD or Atlas Tales.

Going through this process recently on Crime and Justice #23 and 24, clear Anderson covers but previously uncredited.  These were also the last work he did before he retired from comics, with only about 50 covers to his name.  Strange Tales 28 perhaps his best, and the best horror cover of all time.

Anyone who googles Anderson to look at his later paintings is in for a treat... as I recall, I believe he has examples in the White House ... he left comics in the rear view mirror. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/30/2021 at 7:19 PM, buttock said:

That price seems quite reasonable to me.  

It arrived today... you're right. It reminds me of that War Action 14, a 9.0 with a tear. My kind of book :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

And has been recognized as such for over a decade.  CGC's system will keep pulling original data forward for labels until it is brought to their attention for a new submit; reference must also be made to a published source for the credit change such as GCD or Atlas Tales.

Going through this process recently on Crime and Justice #23 and 24, clear Anderson covers but previously uncredited.  These were also the last work he did before he retired from comics, with only about 50 covers to his name.  Strange Tales 28 perhaps his best, and the best horror cover of all time.

2 hours ago, adamstrange said:

The JIUW is a Harry Anderson cover.

The lack of an Everett sig probably should have been a clue. Still love it regardless. Anderson, huh? If I look at Mystery Tales #20 I could kind of see it but the two bystanders in the boat on #32 look different to me. If he did it perhaps a different inker? I know GCD has improved over the years but is this another guess or did someone like Doc V over at AtlasTales uncover something? I used to post on another site where people like Doc V did but I’m out of the loop these days with GCD. Without causing a stir on the boards how would either of you rate them for reliability these days? If you guys feel they’ve improved I might start using them again for reference. Again, just a question to two veteran posters and not a challenge. When I used them years ago people were saying “guessing comic database” which is why I gave up on them back then.

Edited by N e r V

I agree with you N e r V.  The people’s faces in the boat  don’t look Anderson-ish to me either.  The shark guy and the big ship in the back do though 

3 minutes ago, N e r V said:

The lack of an Everett sig probably should have been a clue. Still love it regardless. Anderson, huh? If I look at Mystery Tales #20 I could kind of see it but the two bystanders in the boat on #32 look different to me. If he did it perhaps a different inker? I know GCD has improved over the years but is this another guess or did someone like Doc V over at AtlasTales uncover something? I used to post on another site where people like Doc V did but I’m out of the loop these days with GCD. Without causing a stir on the boards how would either of you rate them for reliability these days? If you guys feel they’ve improved I might start using them again for reference. Again, just a question to two veteran posters and not a challenge. When I used them years ago people were saying “guessing comic database” which is why I gave up of them back then.

FYI, after looking at the comiclink data it took 24 bids to bring that book down so apparently I’m not the only Anderson romance fan out there...just sayin’

23 minutes ago, N e r V said:

If I look at Mystery Tales #20 I could kind of see it but the two bystanders in the boat on #32 look different to me. If he did it perhaps a different inker? I know GCD has improved over the years but is this another guess or did someone like Doc V over at AtlasTales uncover something? I used to post on another site where people like Doc V did but I’m out of the loop these days with GCD. Without causing a stir on the boards how would either of you rate them for reliability these days? If you guys feel they’ve improved I might start using them again for reference. Again, just a question to two veteran posters and not a challenge. When I used them years ago people were saying “guessing comic database” which is why I gave up on them back then.

It was the guy in the boat's face that helped confirm Anderson over Everett. 

There are only two artists possible for that cover:  Anderson and Everett.  They are only ones who ever did that beautiful detailed work for background objects like the ship or architecture (the gargoyles on a Marvel Tales cover).  My guess is that Anderson was influenced by Everett.  Everett, however, is more cartoony, slick, smooth -- a virtuoso inker -- whereas Anderson was much more willing to put in extra lines and to have a harshness about his figures and faces.  That harshness made his style more suitable for horror than romance, though he did that fine as well.

I don't check GCD or AtlasTales very often so I don't have any opinion of their accuracy.  

I don't mind anyone disagreeing with me as I'm sometimes wrong, but almost never with Everett, as he's my favorite artist and I've spent a lot of time looking at his art.  I can tell at a glance it's not Everett, though it takes me longer if I to have figure out why I know it.

39 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

It was the guy in the boat's face that helped confirm Anderson over Everett. 

There are only two artists possible for that cover:  Anderson and Everett.  They are only ones who ever did that beautiful detailed work for background objects like the ship or architecture (the gargoyles on a Marvel Tales cover).  My guess is that Anderson was influenced by Everett.  Everett, however, is more cartoony, slick, smooth -- a virtuoso inker -- whereas Anderson was much more willing to put in extra lines and to have a harshness about his figures and faces.  That harshness made his style more suitable for horror than romance, though he did that fine as well.

I don't check GCD or AtlasTales very often so I don't have any opinion of their accuracy.  

I don't mind anyone disagreeing with me as I'm sometimes wrong, but almost never with Everett, as he's my favorite artist and I've spent a lot of time looking at his art.  I can tell at a glance it's not Everett, though it takes me longer if I to have figure out why I know it.

Yes and as I said  Everett signed his work most of the time with Atlas it seems to me. I’m trying to think of how many covers of his that weren’t. The problem though was he was also inking others work at times which Stan had him do up until his death in the early 1970’s. Not saying he had anything to do with JIUW #32 but just pointing that out. Lee really liked using Everett to ink at times because he made almost any artist better and Everett was certainly a workhorse at Atlas during this period. I’m fine calling that cover an Anderson unless some information counters it. Doc V who has the AtlasTales site calls it an Anderson cover too after checking out his site and I’ve found few others more knowledgeable on Atlas comics than him along with Blake Bell who knows Everett in and out. Pretty sure if Everett had anything to do with it they would know.

10 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Yes and as I said  Everett signed his work most of the time with Atlas it seems to me. I’m trying to think of how many covers of his that weren’t. The problem though was he was also inking others work at times which Stan had him do up until his death in the early 1970’s. Not saying he had anything to do with JIUW #32 but just pointing that out. Lee really liked using Everett to ink at times because he made almost any artist better and Everett was certainly a workhorse at Atlas during this period. I’m fine calling that cover an Anderson unless some information counters it. Doc V who has the AtlasTales site calls it an Anderson cover too after checking out his site and I’ve found few others more knowledgeable on Atlas comics than him along with Blake Bell who knows Everett in and out. Pretty sure if Everett had anything to do with it they would know.

I had heard that the crew that played Poker on Friday(?) nights would often help each other get to a stopping point or finish jobs so the fun could begin. GOD BLESS...

14 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I don't see any chance of anyone other than Anderson inking the cover. That background ship is too good and only Everett and Anderson had the skill & took the time.  That skill is evident in both covers below.

When you compare the way the waves are handled, however, there is dissonance in Anderson's inking in comparison's to Everett and more angularity.  Everett was used as an inker in the 60s as he was unreliable as a penciller due to his acoholism.  I have seen little evidence of his inking other pencilers prior to that.  (One possible bexception is Uncanny Tales 9.)

InkCompare.jpg

9 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I don't see any chance of anyone other than Anderson inking the cover. That background ship is too good and only Everett and Anderson had the skill & took the time.  That skill is evident in both covers below.

When you compare the way the waves are handled, however, there is dissonance in Anderson's inking in comparison's to Everett and more angularity.  Everett was used as an inker in the 60s as he was unreliable as a penciller due to his acoholism.  I have seen little evidence of his inking other pencilers prior to that.  (One possible bexception is Uncanny Tales 9.)

InkCompare.jpg

They have Anderson on #32 as artist and inker. It’s probably difficult at best guessing who  a unsigned artist is let alone trying to see who inked something. Two examples of people guessing on Everett inks over Burgos I’m posting below. Remember these are guesses. Also even when a work is signed it doesn’t mean another artist didn’t have a hand in things.

29C6866B-6FE1-4840-9A97-D29D68115D10.jpeg.03a5504465e45828fc65bce66735509f.jpeg

cover / 1 page(report information)

Pencils
Bill Everett ; Carl Burgos (see notes)
Inks
Bill Everett; Carl Burgos (see notes)
Colors
Stan Goldberg
Letters
?

Genre
horror-suspense

Indexer Notes 

Coloring credit per Stan Goldberg. Previous indexers credited both Bill Everett and Carl Burgos as possible artists, but Nick Caputo suspects Burgos may have only provided some corrections.

EB79FC96-8B14-4422-9850-A5A3FA79977B.jpeg.63999f38e735121c24e7b3982945d108.jpeg

cover / 1 page(report information)

-script
?
Pencils
Carl Burgos ?
Inks
Bill Everett ?
Colors
Stan Goldberg
Letters
?

Genre
horror-suspense
Synopsis
Man who has injected himself with hypodermic needle is torn in half.

Indexer Notes 

Cover has nothing to do with inside story with same name. Shows Independent Distributor logo. Shows ACMP (American Comic Magazine Publishers) Seal of Approval.

Credit information supplied by www.atlastales.com.

Colors: Stan Goldberg states himself.

2 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Also even when a work is signed it doesn’t mean another artist didn’t have a hand in things.

Maneely added figures to covers on many occasions and probably did other "fixes" at Stan Lee's direction.  Burgos was art director and laid out covers for a few years.  Heath told me this in a visit to his place back in the 90s.  When you see an awkward cover design but pencils & inks by Heath, it's most likely based on a Burgos layout.

The Adv Into Terror and Adv into WW look like all Everett (design, pencils & inks), though it's possible there might be some small changes by Burgos.

42 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I had heard that the crew that played Poker on Friday(?) nights would often help each other get to a stopping point or finish jobs so the fun could begin. GOD BLESS...

That reminded of this piece by Steranko. Roy Thomas (Everett’s roomie for a bit in the 1960’s) kicked himself for never asking which issue this story happened on. It shows the chaos of comics production began at its beginning. I remember when they were putting together the Marvel indexes in the 1970’s they were pulling their hair out because maybe one artist did roughs, another completed the drawing, backgrounds could be done by one or more and then maybe Romita or someone would touch up a face or something that needed redrawing.Then it got inked by someone which even then could be more than one. Comics from day one were assembly line work.

2EC99145-A7B9-49AD-A708-B953A7E212E4.thumb.jpeg.5dd018c6c2482ef785d4b9d0a77befc0.jpeg