• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,284 posts in this topic

I wouldn’t necessarily disagree with the differences between the eras Dr.Love outlined, but within each I tend to think of them as interchangeable. I’m an Atlas/Marvel guy, but Simon and Kirby were the champs of the genre. Their stories were much more engrossing and complex. The Atlas books were very simplistic and geared towards teenyboppers; S&K romance could appeal to a more diverse audience with a greater age range. You might find a story about a young married couple who finds their relationship in danger as they struggle to make ends meet as opposed to endless yarns about the wealthy hunk or femme fatale and their beau from a poor family, or a young woman pining for Jimmy to take her to the sock hop.

Even the pre-hero Jack Kirby/Stan Lee Atlas romance books were a bit weak and redundant, though those read as if they were just cranking them out to make sure the company had some romance books on the stand.

I wouldn’t necessarily disagree with the differences between the eras Dr.Love outlined, but within each I tend to think of them as interchangeable.

Agreed. And I defer to your judgement, DP, on content. My remarks were really pointed at artistic. On that score, Scrooge, I like Sekowsky's later work for DC than his earlier for Marvel.

I tend to shy away from the 1948 to 1950 / 1951 offering, those mostly with photo covers b/c the interiors are inferior (this goes the same for Western & certainly Crime of that era) and stopping at the Code leaves me out of the main Colletta period.

Whenever I get to daydreaming about how cool it would be have a complete Atlas collection - going back to the beginnings of the runs, I think of the photo covers and the reluctance I would have in acquiring them just to be a completist.

Michelle found one of Dan's last wants at my table in Chicago a few years ago. It was fun when she phoned him from my booth.

Great moments in romance collecting history! Not surprising that it happened at a show, that's where Michelle did a lot of her buying over the years. A true completist, she cared not for condition particularly, pillaging the boxes for $1 romance. Or course she had a lot of other interests and those genres cost quite a bit more.

I believe Dan lives here in San Diego. You've met him, Gary?

No, but I did say hi on the phone that day! Some years ago I made a major T/A/M find and helped out quite a few collectors. It was a 90% complete teen humor/romance/humor collection. No super-heroes except for Sun Girl and Blonde Phantom. Gary Watson and his buddy Jim in Ohio got a lot of it.

Interesting back story on this collection. A guy and his young daughter would go to shows together in the 70 and 80s. He collected Timely super-heroes/war/horror/sf. He was a completist so he did the same for his daughter. Joker/Millie/Patsy/Girl/Little Lizzie/Love Romances/etc... The guy and his wife get divorced - very contentious. The wife throws out all of the dad's comics but not the daughters! So the collection was intact until I bought it.

I picked up this low grader on Sunday at Terry O'Neils con. Finished off my run of Mystery Tales!

commysterytales1_zpskn8uwkjm.jpg

Congratulations on completing such an impossible run! :applause:

May we see a group shot? :wishluck:

I have photos of all but #19 which I didn't have when I took these shots. But here's the rest of the pre-code ones: They are in need of some upgrading but I'm just glad to have them all.

commysterytalesa_zpsep5ozcoc.jpg

commysterytalesb_zpsqyclzzlc.jpg

commysterytalesc_zpsc8o1ha9c.jpg

commysterytalesd_zpsp38runes.jpg

commysterytalese_zpsvzj6k5qv.jpg

commysterytalesf_zpsnrkjsqqb.jpg

commysterytalesg_zps7ygshnwh.jpg

commysterytalesh_zpsgwcl8rnn.jpg

Great run! Always liked the MT 21 with its surrealistic white cover. Dragged my heels picking one up years ago as I was focused on other books. Wish I had picked one up when I had a better chance!

Always liked the MT 21 with its surrealistic white cover

Harry Anderson didn't spend much time in the Atlas bullpen; however, while he was there, he produced some truly distinctive covers. (thumbs u