• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on inner page tears
1 1

9 posts in this topic

This Daredevil 8 is a pretty solid and clean 7.5... maybe 8.0, except it has ~1 inch tears on the top of two inner pages. Very odd... based on location I'm wondering if they are production related. 

In any case, I got it for a good price and like the eye appeal, so I'm debating to return it or not. In your opinion, what is the impact of the inner page tears?

IMG_5220.JPG

IMG_5217.JPG

IMG_5218.JPG

IMG_5219.JPG

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

My gut says not production related.

You can see there are "fault lines" in the paper and the tears seem to travel partially down those lines. That along with the unusual location for a tear is what made me think it could be production related. (shrug)

1 minute ago, Mr. Zipper said:

You can see there are "fault lines" in the paper and the tears seem to travel partially down those lines. That along with the unusual location for a tear is what made me think it could be production related. (shrug)

You have to keep in mind that I don't know :censored:.

10 hours ago, Mr. Zipper said:

I agree, and have seen a few books where tears line up with those production creases, usually at the centerfold.

11 hours ago, Mr. Zipper said:

I think you could be right. Unfortunately, those tears may still impact the grade a bit...

I think the weaknesses in the paper started out as a production defect, but at the point where they're ugly open tears instead of production creases... ehh. The book is visually appealing enough that I can't imagine not marking it down fairly starkly (defects matter more in otherwise higher grade books).

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Would you be comfortable knowing your book is between a 6.0 and 7.0? Because that's what I think it would get. If yes, then keep your book.

Thanks. I was of the same thinking. If it is technically around 7.0 with really good eye appeal I can live with it. (thumbsu