• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA COMIC BOOK Collecting in the Financial crisis of 2020
3 3

908 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:
4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

As a word of advice though, maybe you should go back into your post and edit out my quote to the form of a simple reply. 

Done, in the form of pondering questions...thanks Lou.

Ummmm Mitch...........hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but it looks like my incriminating post is still lodged within your post here and hence, ready to dispatch your sorry arse to the sin bin.  :baiting:  lol

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if you don't see me on the boards for awhile, I guess you'll know the reason why then. :(

That would be very disappointing. You are one of the more lively and entertaining posters going. 

I would offer to start a protest at the FL headquarters for you... But you know, social distancing and all.  

19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Ummmm Mitch...........hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but it looks like my incriminating post is still lodged within your post here and hence, ready to dispatch your sorry arse to the sin bin.  :baiting:  lol

OK? I tried..

Edited by Mmehdy

3 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

OK? I tried..

No worries as you can simply join me in isolation in the sin bin and we can then talk about funny books all day and all night, as long as you keep your socially distant minimum 6 feet away from me.  lol

29 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I would offer to start a protest at the FL headquarters for you... But you know, social distancing and all. 

Are you referring to a mini-version of one of those "Liberate" protests that I have been seeing on the news lately?  hm

If you are indeed talking about those, you better start packing your stuff and get ready to join Mitch and I in the CGC sin bin then.  :gossip:

Boy, it's going to be awfully hard for us to maintain our social distancing of 6 feet with so many of us crammed into that tiny cell of ours.  lol

35 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Are you referring to a mini-version of one of those "Liberate" protests that I have been seeing on the news lately?  hm

If you are indeed talking about those, you better start packing your stuff and get ready to join Mitch and I in the CGC sin bin then.  :gossip:

Boy, it's going to be awfully hard for us to maintain our social distancing of 6 feet with so many of us crammed into that tiny cell of ours.  lol

It would only be a liberate Lou Fine protest! And since I'm sure me and mitch would be the only ones attending,  remaining 6 feet apart should be easy. 

As an aide I'm shocked you guys are still worried about the collectable market. Didn't you hear common household disinfectants and light knock C-19 out? Problem solved! Let's get back to the cons! 

3 hours ago, KCOComics said:

As an aide I'm shocked you guys are still worried about the collectable market. Didn't you hear common household disinfectants and light knock C-19 out? Problem solved!  Let's get back to the cons! 

Why, of course I did.................apparently the only problem is so did everybody else.  :mad:  :censored:

I've been driving around town hitting all of the supermarkets that I can and motoring down to the disinfectant and UV light bulb aisles as fast as my little feet can take me.  Sad to say, but apparently there has been a run on these 2 items ever since this past Thursday for some strange reason.  Sounds as though gin and lysol or scotch with a bit of lysol seems to be the go to cocktail(s) nowadays.  :sick:  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

20 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

My warning was for suggesting that in today's world, Captain America might be viewed as a little too jingoistic, to the point it may be affecting the prices of Cap 1.

Besides, I'm sure that there will be protests claiming that Captain America is not showing proper respect for anti-semitism. :baiting:

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

I'll start by saying I have a limited scope of books I was watching, so my experience might not be indicative of the wider market, but I felt like there was a dip this weekend.

I was watching a low grade NY world's fair on Clink and my low ball bid nearly won! 

Then there have been some books on the boards that either haven't sold or sold at a discount.  

Edited by KCOComics

I kinda wish I went after that NY World's Fair...a book I have always wanted but never could bring myself to shell out the $2500 dollar for a 3.0 copy(which seems to be the most common Universal Grade copy that I see). However this book has not really gone anywhere value wise for decades. I just saw an old ad for $2,500 VG copy in a copy of Golden Age Quarterly that Overstreet put out for awhile in the 90's.  

4 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I'll start by saying I have a limited scope of books I was watching, so my experience might not be indicative of the wider market, but I felt like there was a dip this weekend.

I was watching a low grade NY world's fair on Clink and my low ball bid nearly won! 

Then there have been some books on the boards that either haven't sold or sold at a discount.  

I was watching the National Comics 8 in the Sparkle City auction on eBay last night. A few months ago, I would have gone at least $1100 on it, but I decided against bidding once it got close to $900. It ended up selling for around $980. I don't have the appetite for bidding on anything that isn't a grail unless it's dirt cheap.

1 hour ago, Ian Winner said:

I kinda wish I went after that NY World's Fair...a book I have always wanted but never could bring myself to shell out the $2500 dollar for a 3.0 copy(which seems to be the most common Universal Grade copy that I see). However this book has not really gone anywhere value wise for decades. I just saw an old ad for $2,500 VG copy in a copy of Golden Age Quarterly that Overstreet put out for awhile in the 90's.  

I'm always shocked to see how inexpensive that book is. It's the first "published" sandman and a Blonde haired superman. 1930s DC. It just seems like it has enough going for it that it should be more saught after. 

20 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I was watching the National Comics 8 in the Sparkle City auction on eBay last night. A few months ago, I would have gone at least $1100 on it, but I decided against bidding once it got close to $900. It ended up selling for around $980. I don't have the appetite for bidding on anything that isn't a grail unless it's dirt cheap.

I'll be curious to see if anyone posts general trends from Clink and HA to see if prices are starting to come down. 

16 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I'll be curious to see if anyone posts general trends from Clink and HA to see if prices are starting to come down. 

I had 20 or 25 books in the last Heritage weekly and overall I was very happy with the prices I got. A few went WAY higher than expectations. 

26 minutes ago, october said:

I had 20 or 25 books in the last Heritage weekly and overall I was very happy with the prices I got. A few went WAY higher than expectations. 

You are definitely a collector with more of a pulse on the market than me. 

There are a handful GA books I track at the big auctions to see where the prices land. I usually come up with a # I feel comfortable spending and hope for a little luck. In the last 5 years or so I've only gotten lucky once (that can be taken a few ways, but unfortunately however you choose to interpret it,  it's probably still an accurate statement) 

The limited books I've been watching seem to have gone a little cheaper than I would have thought.  And there are some cool 50s Cole covers on the boards that usually get picked up quick and haven't been. 

So I'm just sitting tight for now. Seeing how the next few weeks plays out.  Heck,  I even made it through an "October" sale without buying anything!  That's a huge personal achievement for me! 

1 hour ago, SuperBird said:

From my limited perspective, I haven't seen much of a dip in GA prices on things I watch. 

There is a reason for that. When you get hit with a tidal wave such as this Virus which shuts down everything in its path, you, me and whole rest of the world are in shock. Until that shock wears off and reality sets in, GA/SA prices today do not reflect the full impact of this financial crisis. Folks, it is just gonna take time, like the virus we are on its schedule and have little control. The same goes for the Economy both in the USA and world. We are extremely vulnerable at this time, the whole world is and if other governments collapse such as Greece or Italy it would be like a house of cards. We need to find a cure and distribute it before anything else happens. Every board member will feel the full force and impact of what is coming in about  next 6 months if you have not felt it today. Unlike the stock market which is subject to flash crashes..we will have a gradual decline over time. I do not see any possibility of a overnight crash in our GA/SA world.Then we will see a gradual upswing which could take years to get back where we were.

If there is any possibility that you might sell some GA/SA and they are ungraded...get them graded now, there could be a rush when the market declines and every month will count on what return you can get for your GA. I would restrict my GA/SA buying to only CGC graded books, and the other guys at 25% less and preferred unrestored unless a grail book. If you purchase any ungraded GA/SA send them in CGC at once to preserve your value you paid, as the price should increase because of third party grading and it might be enough to offset the coming price decline.

CGC Graded books will command a premium during these tough times where collectors are less likely to take a risk on spending their hard earned $. Play it safe and smart as we are both here for the long run.

When we open up again, there will a number of GA/SA collectors who will not have a job, get their hours cut etc. Make sure you have enough to survive for the next 12-18 months before discretionary spending money you might need in the future. If you have none available you are still in the game by selling unwanted or duplicate GA/SA or even trading as that could pick up if a number of collectors are in the same boat. For the upcoming Ha auction this week, there could be some steals and you might want to pay attention especially SA/GA on Sat. Ha lets you consign your unwanted GA/SA books and gives you a advance which you can use as auction credit. That is about the easiest way to trade up EVER. Put your ungraded and restored with them and buy back unrestored CGC GA/SA as it is the biggest no brainer in history.

In tough times, we GA/SA collectors get tougher

Edited by Mmehdy

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

You are definitely a collector with more of a pulse on the market than me. 

There are a handful GA books I track at the big auctions to see where the prices land. I usually come up with a # I feel comfortable spending and hope for a little luck. In the last 5 years or so I've only gotten lucky once (that can be taken a few ways, but unfortunately however you choose to interpret it,  it's probably still an accurate statement) 

The limited books I've been watching seem to have gone a little cheaper than I would have thought.  And there are some cool 50s Cole covers on the boards that usually get picked up quick and haven't been. 

So I'm just sitting tight for now. Seeing how the next few weeks plays out.  Heck,  I even made it through an "October" sale without buying anything!  That's a huge personal achievement for me! 

Cole stuff was running so nuclear hot last year that it had nowhere to go but down. I sold some in my thread, but others sat. I expected this correction, and I think it started pre-virus. 

Not that it means much in terms of the broader market, but the cheaper something was, the faster it sold for me. That was not the case a year ago. I sold a bunch of $1000-5000 books in early to mid 2019 with relative ease.