• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are there so many CGC slabbed Spider-Woman #1s

9 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Seems like eBay has been littered with them over the past year. Did someone discover a warehouse of discarded issues? 

Yes - at least 600 raw comics sold past 1-2 months by the same seller. They still have at least 1 box left

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spider-Woman-1-1978-SEALED-CASE-WAREHOUSE-FIND-of-300-Comic-Lot-NM-MOVIE-HOT/163931854941?hash=item262b19985d:g:2IQAAOSw0EhdwcNu

Edited by Poka

From the Bronze Age 9.8 discussion: 

If you're wondering whether there are plenty more raw 9.8+ out there, this chart seems to show a decline in CGC 9.8+ since around 2010.

late1970s98.png

The spike for 2020 from 1978 is Spider-Woman #1, lots of high grade copies submitted so far this year.

2 hours ago, Deadpoolica said:

Purely for speculation purposes

Eternals 1 also. Every time I surf a Bronze age superhero search for $25 and up I see more slabbed Eternals 1s than anything else. Right now an "Eternals 1 CGC" search yields 1050 hits on ebay. With 100 others by the two other grading services (if you can call them that)  Ms. Marvel 1 CGC searches yields approx. 70% of the numbers for Eternals 1 results.

By comparison, 204 CGC hits for a Spider-woman 1 search, many of them MS 32. So based on today's search, approx. 1/6th the amount of CGC graded Spider-woman 1s as CGC graded Eternals #1s.

Edited by James J Johnson

11 minutes ago, OwMyToe said:

This is one of those books that was at every flea market I went to in the late 70s/early 80s. I could've bought 20 copies of it along with Shazam #1, Ms Marvel #1, Eternal s #1, Nova #1, Human Fly #1, Invaders #1, and DC Comics Presents #1. I didn't because even back then I knew they were drek lol

A stack of Eternals #1 right now would be worth more than whatever you did buy. :kidaround:

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Eternals 1 also. Every time I surf a Bronze age superhero search for $25 and up I see more slabbed Eternals 1s than anything else. Right now an "Eternals 1 CGC" search yields 1050 hits on ebay. With 100 others by the two other grading services (if you can call them that)  Ms. Marvel 1 CGC searches yields approx. 70% of the numbers for Eternals 1 results.

By comparison, 204 CGC hits for a Spider-woman 1 search, many of them MS 32. So based on today's search, approx. 1/6th the amount of CGC graded Spider-woman 1s as CGC graded Eternals #1s.

There's like over 400 Eternal's #1 9.8's! Thats insane! I want one but I think the price will drop dramatically after the movie.

2 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

There's like over 400 Eternal's #1 9.8's! Thats insane! I want one but I think the price will drop dramatically after the movie.

And it will, however, the 30c price variant may be a better choice that's more resistant to the typical price drop once the movie has come and gone.