• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Strange Adventures 12 (GRADE IS IN)

49 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I guess I’ll show the grade for now. I had it pressed so any minor imperfections you saw were pressed out, except for those two subtle color breaks on the spine of course.

1C950628-59DD-4970-96A0-B2C313D2C6EC.jpeg

That is generous. Those color breaks should have kept it out of 9.8. And WP quality? That's a stretch going by the photo.

You lucked out.

Edited by Randall Ries

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

That is generous. Those color breaks should have kept it out of 9.8. And WP quality? That's a stretch going by the photo.

You lucked out.

I think people put too much emphasis on color breaks sometimes. The book is flawless save for the 2 breaks, and there’s a reason it’s called NM/MINT and not Mint or Gem Mint. Personally, I disagree, it’s appropriately graded.

9 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I think people put too much emphasis on color breaks sometimes. The book is flawless save for the 2 breaks, and there’s a reason it’s called NM/MINT and not Mint or Gem Mint. Personally, I disagree, it’s appropriately graded.

This Ming dynasty vase would be flawless save for the chip in the rim. This block of cheese would be perfect save for the teeth marks in it. Flaws like color breaks usually keep books out of 9.8. Color breaks in a book are a deal breaker. I'm not certain a potential buyer would agree with your rationale. I'm not sure I would agree with getting a 9.8 even if it were my book. But what I am really saying is I'm happy for you. You lucked out. Not certain a future potential buyer would agree that the book is actually a 9.8, but I'm glad you think the book got what it deserves.

12 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I guess I’ll show the grade for now. I had it pressed so any minor imperfections you saw were pressed out, except for those two subtle color breaks on the spine of course.

1C950628-59DD-4970-96A0-B2C313D2C6EC.jpeg

Yowza! Nice!

See, this is where I feel CGC gets a tad generous with Golden Age books. But, I honestly don't have a problem with it. Thing is, that probably is the nicest copy in existence. Yes, there are two spine ticks but that is it. The paper maaaayyyyy be more off-white but still. And while the guidelines say staples are generally well centered, GA books are notorious for having them off centered.

That book looks like it was just printed. Better than some that were just printed (actually better than most things just printed). I think 9.4-9.6 more understanding but hey, that is an awesome copy!

7 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

This Ming dynasty vase would be flawless save for the chip in the rim. This block of cheese would be perfect save for the teeth marks in it. Flaws like color breaks usually keep books out of 9.8. Color breaks in a book are a deal breaker. I'm not certain a potential buyer would agree with your rationale. I'm not sure I would agree with getting a 9.8 even if it were my book. But what I am really saying is I'm happy for you. You lucked out. Not certain a future potential buyer would agree that the book is actually a 9.8, but I'm glad you think the book got what it deserves.

I appreciate your comparisons lol, but there’s more nuances to comic book grading then a chip with a vase and teeth marks with a block of cheese 😒. Anyway, opinions are fine, and you think it’s over graded that’s your prerogative.

5 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yowza! Nice!

See, this is where I feel CGC gets a tad generous with Golden Age books. But, I honestly don't have a problem with it. Thing is, that probably is the nicest copy in existence. Yes, there are two spine ticks but that is it. The paper maaaayyyyy be more off-white but still. And while the guidelines say staples are generally well centered, GA books are notorious for having them off centered.

That book looks like it was just printed. Better than some that were just printed (actually better than most things just printed). I think 9.4-9.6 more understanding but hey, that is an awesome copy!

I think the paper quality questioning would be less done so if I had taken a photo with better lighting. You can kinda see light protruding onto the book from the right, and that’s because I had my lamp shining on it, same thing with the other photos. It kinda gives it a retro look haha. Anyway, I remember looking at the pages and they really were pristine! But based off what I’ve shown I can understand questioning the whiteness.

2 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I guess I’m just going to have a questionable 9.8. Oh well, I’m happy with it lol

That's all that matters. I have a copy of Bat #234 @ 9.0 slabbed. I bought that particular copy because of the white banner that proclaims Two Face is "Twice as evil--Twice as dangerous". Almost all copies cut off the right side of the banner in varying degrees but not this one. It is included in its entirety. The "spam" strip as I call it on the other side of the book is wrapped perfectly around the spine. IMO, that is a perfect wrap. Not to some other collectors on the boards as I showed it off. They called it a "miswrap". Maybe so. But I have a copy with more artwork included and less "spam strip" showing. They ALL have the "spam strip"  but not all have the entire banner. Which would you rather have?

I have a copy of Green Lantern/Green Arrow #87 8.5 slabbed with the entirety of Green Lanterns foot showing. Like Bat #234, that is a hard thing to come by as most copies have hacked off GL's foot to varying degrees. Again, a "miswrap".

You have a copy of SA #12 which is likely the only 9.8 on the census. So, I mean it when I say I'm happy for you. My issue is grounded in the ambiguity in grading.