• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what's next? Are Marvel & DC too big to fail?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

It seems likely that the comic book publishing landscape will look very different one year from now.  Marvel's publishing success is dependent on non-returnable single issues feeding their book trade and digital direct-to-consumer subscriptions via their own platform.  That's three sources of revenue for the same content.  DC uses a less successful version of Marvel's model and the rest of the industry follows suit with diminishing results.  So how does the industry respond if the direct market, built on independent retailers who pay rent and hourly wages on top of their non-returnable inventory, is devastated to the point of collapse?  A lot of people have argued that Marvel needs to cut back their line (though not due to a pandemic) but that means a lot of people lose their jobs.  How many monthly titles can Marvel and DC reasonably maintain?  Does some version of newsstand distribution re-emerge?  Do they switch to digital only with print on demand?  Will their corporate bosses even consider the Marvel & DC comic book divisions to be worth maintaining?  What will this all mean for indie comics?  Thoughts?

www.sitcomics.net

Edited by Sitcomics

I feel like Marvel will be fine. Disney can't probably write off the comics losses for the foreseeable future and it won't put a dent in their business. Disney Plus is going to be gangbusters with everyone staying home. Marvel could even add their comic content to their streaming platform a la DC Universe Online.

With DC, who knows? With them letting Dan DiDio go, there was much speculation as to them sustaining publishing BEFORE the current crisis. My gut says they'll keep their comic division open, though. There's too much possibility with using their properties in other media. Comics keep the IP's stocked with new content they could mine.

6 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

If the LCS doesn’t order Indy comics then Indy comics aren’t going to be hurt when the LCS closes

There’s also the shift towards waiting for the digital trade, as I do, where you can quickly buy a run to read for a fraction of the price of the physical copies from an LCS. Still the diehards and speculators to account for.

considering that playboy will be issuing the last printed edition, that tells us something.

maybe marvel or dc or both can continue this 66 year old tradition, the highway of printed art that inspired every young boy to expand into comics  since 1953. fast cars and fast women. 

11 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

There’s also the shift towards waiting for the digital trade, as I do, where you can quickly buy a run to read for a fraction of the price of the physical copies from an LCS. Still the diehards and speculators to account for.

What I’m saying is those diehards aren’t buying indies, or if they do they’re not buying them off the shelf at the LCS, because the LCS isn’t stocking them unless they’re Image comics, licensed comics, cheesecake comics, or comics that already have a movie/TV deal. A lot of Indy publishers encourage direct sales to consumers, even offering exclusives and sketches/autographs. I’m preordering the next Simon Hanselmann comic from Fantagraphics because that’s the only way to get the bonus zine