• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll: bad idea or worst idea ever from Marvel?
1 1

161 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

It’s more enjoyable than the junk that followed it for years after the Code.

Yup. Placing limitations on a system without themselves having much of a clue about how to operate within those newly self-imposed limitations. Quite a while before comics developed creative workarounds, and immediately post-Code the material becomes generic, uninspired and boring to read. Publishers generally seen floundering.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I started buying comics at ages 10-13 years old , this would be the early 70's , but they were nowhere near the best comics i read and and i knew it , i knew that the 1960's Marvel comics that i was only able to read because of reprints like Marvel Tales and Marvels Greatest Comics were the best comics of them all, and i also longed for comics from the 50's and even 40's but  i knew that was a pipe dream except for the few available reprints.. 

Edited by 1950's war comics

10 hours ago, kav said:

SJW's have NOTHING to do with social justice.  NOTHING.  They are AGAINST freedom and justice.  They are bullies.  It's THEIR WAY or the highway.  America Chavez's verbalized disgust at seeing white people and the artist's depiction of them as goofy weird looking grinning dolts is not social justice-it is racism.  If that's your idea of 'social justice', you can have it. 

You are looking a lot like a SJW dumped you on a date.  :baiting:

Edited by sfcityduck

Stan_Lee.png

Marvel readers, you can be sure, noticed Stan Lee’s support of civil rights.  One reader wrote Stan in 1969 to complain about Marvel’s support for civil rights, ending his letter by stating “I’m not a racist, just a concerned Marvelite who doesn’t want his favorite comic company to be ruined by something that doesn’t concern you as comic publishers.”

Stan’s published response in the letters page of the comic?:  

“But, such matters as racism and inequality do concern us, Tim — not just as comic mag artists and writers and publishers, but as human beings. Certainly it’s never been our intention to portray all, or even most, white Americans as hard-core bigots or screaming racists. Maybe it’s just that we think that many people in the land of the free have too long turned their backs or averted their eyes to the more unpleasant things that are going on every day. Maybe we felt we could do something — even within the relatively humble format of what used to be called a ‘comic-book’ – to change things just a bit for the better. If we failed, let’s just say that we’d at least like to have it said of us that — we tried.”

Stan Lee didn’t stop trying.

Edited by sfcityduck

2 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

Your "Angry White Male" comments are way off base. Way to stereotype. I don't tell anyone in my life what they should or shouldn't believe, how they should look or anything like that. I'm actually VERY liberal. I don't like censorship. I grew up waving my fist at Tipper Gore (a  "liberal") and those angry mothers that wanted to sensor my Twisted Sister or (gasp) someone else's favorite, Madonna!  This was confusing, because the "liberal left" was trying to tell me what I could/couldn't listen to, while the "religious right wing " were holding CD/album/book burning bonfires. They sounded like the same thing  to me

The PRMC was founded in 1985 by Tipper Gore and Susan Baker -  the wife of Reagan's Secretary of Treasury James Baker.  It was not a liberal group.  It was a group started by concerned parents who overreacted to something they could not understand.  It didn't actually push for censorship, it pushed for warning labels.  Which the record companies did.  Historically, censorship of music and comics has been a conservative impulse, pushed by people who are overreacting to something they don't understand.  Tipper was definitely on the conservative side of that debate with James Baker's wife and the book burning types (the same folks who burned EC's in the 50s).  

The thing is this:  Most people are NOT always liberal or always conservative.  We tend to have opinions which can transcend the political spectrum.  While Tipper is generally liberal, the PRMC was a more conservative impulse on her part.

Edited by sfcityduck

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

You are looking a lot like a SJW dumped you on a date.  :baiting:

I hate bullies.   Always have.

7 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Marvel is not a bully.  You don't have to buy their drek.  And in this case, my guess is few will.

SJWs are bullies.  To the extent Marvel empowers their nonsense, they are part of the overall problem.

Marvel printed a comic that expressed condoned revulsion of white people.  Let that sink in.

Just now, kav said:

Marvel printed a comic that expressed condoned revulsion of white people.  Let that sink in.

Show me the panels.

Personally, as a white person who came from a state that literally banned black people from residing in that state, I can see why revulsion toward white folks is sometimes justified.

Just now, sfcityduck said:

Yeah, I'm not seeing that.  Your jihad against "SJWs" seems more than a bit over the top to me.  What have SJWs done to you again?

They prevented me from attending a speaking event of someone they disagreed with by mobbing and smashing windows, causing it to be canceled, for one example.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

Show me the panels.

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

When?  And who?  

I'll PM you so I dont get strike