• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cost-saving methods to store CGC slabs?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this becomes a redundancy post in advance but was needing some insight on how to store CGC slabs for long term preservation.

I'm familiar with the to do's: no exposure to light, cool temperatures with appropriate relative humidity. And the not to do's: vacuum seal the slabs.

As a 21 year old, that has moved out to college, my slabs are currently in the basement* stairs of my childhood home. I wish to preserve my comics so that they stand the test of time as I have several first appearance issues of the older comics**.

I am not equipped with a well disposable income*** to encase my slabs in a UV filtered, glass enclosure with constant flowing filtered argon.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to introduce a dehumidifier but while away at home, my mother would not appreciate the responsibility of tending to maintenance of the dehumidifier. In the near future I would like to be able display my slabs in the basement (out of complete darkness from underneath the stairs). Any cheap suggestions or tips to minimize any micromanaging the environment as much as possible to put 4 slabs on display?

*My mother is anemic so she keeps the house temperature fairly high, Nothing below 75 F (23 C). The basement is significantly colder however and averages around 67. Winters are not a problem as cranked up temperatures are offset by the leakage in the basement windows. 

**Collected as hand me downs or bargained auctions with high-school income.

***I know, some of you may argue that I shouldn't even be collecting at this age.

If the basement stays cool and dry, without extreme temperature changes and only occasional exposure to light, you’re definitely good, certainly until you graduate and move to your adult house.

ive has slabs getting more light than that up for years

the killer is direct sunlight or other uv 

comic book shops have slabs up for years with no damage