• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Anyone Know if CGC Will Close?
4 4

568 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, wilbil said:

not in my experience.

but i am a pacifist, so you win.

:banana:

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, wilbil said:

i surrendered already.  what is wrong with you? you are trying to bully the loser.

:flipbait:

Edited by kav

6 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Giving a few power over the many, and being sheeple in that commitment, is dangerous. Just to protect a minuscule amount of people? I'll pass.

Miniscule amount of people?

New York City alone has now lost 6,000 people to this virus.

That's more than twice the number of people who died on 9/11.

And other states are simply two weeks behind NYC.

The government (which literally ordered 100,000 body bags this week for the expected national dead) has every right to impose martial law to tell people to shelter in place.

32 minutes ago, G G ® said:

I don't think books can get sick Bob. :insane:

:jokealert:

I don’t know about that, I collect some pretty “sick” stuff...:roflmao:

I guess what I meant is I don’t want valuable books floating around or sitting some where. If I was able I would just hand deliver them...

And, I appreciate the emoji. We probably need them right now more than ever so our words (and jokes) appear the way we mean them.

In the current situation I have been losing track of the days, as one day feels much the same as any other.

Today definitely feels like a Friday. :insane:

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Probably good to just let it go Roy. There are just some fish that choose to swim alone rather than with the rest of the school.

You are one of the few people here I actually have met in person. Most of these folks I have never met in person. Your posts are always to the point and understandable. I don’t know Capra and to be honest, have had a real hard time trying to figure out what he is saying. (shrug)

Like most of us, he is probably locked down (I hope). He seems to be crying out for attention. We are all dealing with this in our own way and we are all in the same boat. I am by nature, a pessimist. But, on this I am trying to be as positive as possible. 

If you don’t debate with people like this, they will have no one to argue with. 

I really hope you are OK Capra, I really do...:foryou:

He is a libertarian I'd guess. I have libertarian friends who keep on insisting this is all b.s. and an attempt at government grabbing control and never relinquishing it.  I'm still staying inside. 562 people just died in 24 hours in my home state. That ain't no flu. I will do my 2 mile walk, but now we are being told to wear masks even if socially distancing? It is going to suck doing it in my dirty n95.

34 minutes ago, G G ® said:

Whatever it is you are smoking, stop immediately and send it to me. :foryou:

The weed stores are still open in CA. “essential business”? I don’t know, but if it helps people get through this OK with me. Gun stores, not so much. The worse this gets, they might be sorry about that...

22 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Miniscule amount of people?

New York City alone has now lost 6,000 people to this virus.

That's more than twice the number of people who died on 9/11.

And other states are simply two weeks behind NYC.

The government (which literally ordered 100,000 body bags this week for the expected national dead) has every right to impose martial law to tell people to shelter in place.

We're not there yet. That will be Monday's total. Right now the whole state is at 3000 dead.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

He is a libertarian I'd guess. I have libertarian friends who keep on insisting this is all b.s. and an attempt at government grabbing control and never relinquishing it.  I'm still staying inside. 562 people just died in 24 hours in my home state. That ain't no flu. I will do my 2 mile walk, but now we are being told to wear masks even if socially distancing? It is going to suck doing it in my dirty n95.

I don’t know or care. Right now we’re are all one country and one people. We need to pull together and put our petty differences aside for the greater good. 

We had a kook try to run a train into the Mercy ship in LA. Thought it was some kind of a “conspiracy”. It guess it’s to be expected in a city this size. (shrug)

I am real proud of my govenor Gavin Newsome in CA. We were the first state to put in a shutdown in place. He has been quick to move to shut down beaches, hiking trails, golf courses ect when people disregarded this order. People here for the most part have been real understanding and do what they have to. 

Glad to hear you are out walking. It’s cold? Bundle up or walk faster. Gotta wear a mask? Do it. Make it a fashion statement if you need to. Mandatory masks are probably coming here soon. I’m already doing it when I go into a store. We got a park a few blocks away. A lot more people there nowadays. But everything is keeping their distance while getting some fresh air, sun and exercise. I’ve got a garage to putter in as well as a little back yard. I’m lucky. I just want to keep moving and nice to see actual people and my neighbors even from an 8 foot distance. 

Stay well, healthy and as happy as you can!

48 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

The weed stores are still open in CA. “essential business”? I don’t know, but if it helps people get through this OK with me. Gun stores, not so much. The worse this gets, they might be sorry about that...

I guess a lot of collectors have similar quirks such as addictive personalities and OCD etc. I have certainly an addictive personality, and I first tried weed in Holland back in '78. I thought I could just smoke it front to back like a cigarette. It was really, really strong sh*t and I had a terrible reaction to it, really bad paranoia trip which lasted about 36 hours. I remember being scared of the taps in the sink in the hotel room. It was bad.

This experience turned me off drugs from then on. So I guess this turned out to be a win in later life, as I undoubtedly would have been a total pothead had I enjoyed the experience.

I would never judge people who do drugs, as long as they don't hurt anyone in the process of acquiring the stuff or as a result of their behaviour while on it. I'm specifically talking about weed because I despise 'coke-heads', (I've been at the wrong end of an unprovoked assault by a random coke-head) and I feel nothing but pity for heroin/crack/meth users.

But weed ain't for me, thanks to my youthful naivety of not really knowing how to smoke a doobie..

Edited by G G ®

35 minutes ago, G G ® said:

I guess a lot of collectors have similar quirks such as addictive personalities and OCD etc. I have certainly an addictive personality, and I first tried weed in Holland back in '78. I thought I could just smoke it front to back like a cigarette. It was really, really strong sh*t and I had a terrible reaction to it, really bad paranoia trip which lasted about 36 hours. I remember being scared of the taps in the sink in the hotel room. It was bad.

This experience turned me off drugs from then on. So I guess this turned out to be a win in later life, as I undoubtedly would have been a total pothead had I enjoyed the experience.

I would never judge people who do drugs, as long as they don't hurt anyone in the process of acquiring the stuff or as a result of their behaviour while on it. I'm specifically talking about weed because I despise 'coke-heads', (I've been at the wrong end of an unprovoked assault by a random coke-head) and I feel nothing but pity for heroin/crack/meth users.

But weed ain't for me, thanks to my youthful naivety of not really knowing how to smoke a doobie..

Weed is less of a "drug" than whiskey

29 minutes ago, the blob said:

Weed is less of a "drug" than whiskey

I dare say, but I'm not arguing about the merits of one drug compared to another. I'm merely saying, weed is not for me. Bad experiences tend to put you off. I'm sure some people have a whale of a time on it. It just doesn't agree with me.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

So back on subject, do you folks think it would be safe to send books to CGC? I’ve got a little stack of cool GA I was about to send in. I’m kind of sitting tight at the moment. They are safer here right now than traveling around in virus world I think. 

Well, I already provided the answer to all of you good boardies here about a month ago as to the best possible solution if you are truly concerned about your slabbed books having the deadly Covid-19 virus on them:

On 3/5/2020 at 11:08 AM, lou_fine said:

Sad to say, but I was talking with a research scientist who's been doing quite a bit of work with this virus for both the WHO and CDC, and he confirms that this corona virus will indeed have serious impact for comic book collectors going forward.  :frown:

Due to the material used in making the CGC holders, apparently this corona virus can actually live on the surface of the holder for several years.  In addition, not only is this virus both infectious and highly contagious, but it has also been found to be very discriminating.  Apparently this corona virus targets only CGC slabs that are graded at 9.8 or higher and also any books that are valued at $1,000 or higher.  :sick:  :fear:

Being the caring board member that I am who is always concerned about the health of other boardies here, I am more than willing to sacrifice my own health by taking the personal risk of self-quarantining myself with these hazardous slabbed books for you until the incubation time period of 10 years for these CGC holders is up and these books are safe for you to hold once again.  lol  :takeit:

Now that we know so much more about this virus a full month later and how deadly it really is, I would expect all of you to pack up all of your books and send them to me ASAP before the curve really starts to spike and it would be too late for you and your books.  :bigsmile:

5 hours ago, wilbil said:

if somebody types you do realize....my eyes close and i move on. usually, not always though, their chin is tilted slightly upward, and accompanied by a shallow sniff or 2 while typing.

Welcome to the boards.