• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, trmoore54 said:

And now let's get this topic back on topic...anyone got a nice 6.0-9.0 restored AF15 for sale for cheap?? :insane: lol

to assist getting it back on track next month I might be in the market for a x-men 1 low grade for a few thousand. 

17 hours ago, trmoore54 said:

Just heard today the USA $350 billion...yes, with a b...for small business loans is ALL GONE!  That took like 2 weeks.  My wife (co-owner with her 2 sisters of their business...about 20 employees) applied the first few days and got approved.  Amazing when you think about the number.  I sure hope a lot of restaurants got their fair share...

hobby painting wives of millionaire white house economic advisors scooped it all up

I am not seeing a buyer's market yet. Least not on 3 and 4 figure books. And I been browsing everything just to see. Hulk 181 and AF 15 been trending down before covid. Dunno if there will be a buyer's market. Only if 20 percent unemployment last into the summer. Then only common books and books that people with a lot of money have no interest in will drop. Variants, new mutants, bat 12, and basically most high print books. Right now people are getting irs refunds and stimulus checks. Even in 2008 2009 with the housing market crash and $4 a gallon gas comics didn't miss a beat. Every dealer and seller I talked to had best sales in years if not ever. 

On 4/10/2020 at 9:43 AM, 90sChild said:

Depends on your investment horizon.  Market generally moves in the direction of moving averages, most modeling is built around those numbers.  
Market is still below the daily 50MA & 200MA. 
Market went above the weekly 200MA and has held it for the past two days, which is good.   
If I had to take a wild guess, it will close in on the 2909-2995 before it either trades sideways at a massive indecision point or it rejects and heads back down to the weekly 200MA.

Q61w5jp.jpgoPMbsZk.jpg

I thought it would be fun to follow up on this for anyone that is paying attention.  It took a while to hit the 2900 level I called for previously, the "easy money" direction guessing game is gone for now.  I personally don't have a formed opinion yet on if it goes higher, lower, or sideways for a while.   On the daily chart the 50MA that was previously 2909 in the my first post is now down to 2721.   Weekly 200MA is 2667.  We might see a move back to either number in the short term.  It rejected going higher past the 2950-ish already.  

Ou4RO5J.jpg7nMAVUK.jpg

Edited by 90sChild

6 hours ago, 90sChild said:

I thought it would be fun to follow up on this for anyone that is paying attention.  It took a while to hit the 2900 level I called for previously, the "easy money" direction guessing game is gone for now.  I personally don't have a formed opinion yet on if it goes higher, lower, or sideways for a while.   On the daily chart the 50MA that was previously 2909 in the my first post is now down to 2721.   Weekly 200MA is 2667.  We might see a move back to either number in the short term.  It rejected going higher past the 2950-ish already.  

Ou4RO5J.jpg7nMAVUK.jpg

Math

On 4/18/2020 at 12:35 AM, Myowncollector said:

I am not seeing a buyer's market yet. Least not on 3 and 4 figure books. 

Are you saying books over $100?

I'm seeing some aggressive Ebay auctions

Just recently I saw a PGX 9.4 ASM 15 go for $4000 USD, now if they submit to CGC for a re-grade then that will be a really impressive profit...

Personally I've spent a little bit since the outbreak

Edited by Hollywood1892

Since all of this began I started going on instagram a lot and have been watching lots of claim sales and auctions. Notably the elitecomics11 remedy tour broadcasts are getting tons of sales and getting some prices I am surprised at too. Same goes for the torpedo comics streams, basically getting graded prices on raw.

occasionally I have seen comments in the stream saying the prices are high which gets shut down really quickly, but it doesn’t seem to affect buying anyway 

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

pgx 9.4s usually cross over to purple cgc 5.5-7.0 labels, so perhaps not a deal. 

I was just saying that considering the current circumstances that people are still buying books.

My reluctance to bid was just what you said, possible missed restoration 

10 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Are you saying books over $100?

I'm seeing some aggressive Ebay auctions

Just recently I saw a PGX 9.4 ASM 15 go for $4000 USD, now if they submit to CGC for a re-grade then that will be a really impressive profit...

Personally I've spent a little bit since the outbreak

Books 0 to 10 grand. Prices are strong. I have had the best sales ever past 2 months. Seen best sales ever browsing. Way more books being listed and sold and for impressive prices. I have gotten some deals as well but I always do. And they were on unpopular books. Nowhere close to a deal on anything hot. 

Was in chat when PGX asm 15 went off. 3 of us in there that could spend 10 grand on a book no problem at all. It was listed good so everyone seen it. I was highly tempted, 4 grand was my max. Pictures weren't great. Looked to have a dozen small spine ticks and not sharp corners. Wasnt trimmed. Didn't see any color touch but who knows without seeing book in person. I thought hard about buying it. Would never send it to cgc, would list it for 10 grand see how it went. Wait and wait until a buyer came along. Even taking 7 or 8 would been a good profit. If it was a book I would want in my collection I would have gone to 6 grand on it. Just don't care about it. Think it is inflated by speculation already and could plummet in value if he doesn't get announced for a movie. Could of went 5 grand and hoped a buyer came along. Few years ago I would have for sure. Each year though fewer and fewer buyers of PGX. Determining factor was seller is from Eugene Oregon so PGX owner, employee, friend? Dunno but a red flag. It was a good deal though. Just not a easy quick resale and although market is strong now, I am not counting on it being so strong in the next few months to year so risk of being stuck with that book was too high.

16 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

Books 0 to 10 grand. Prices are strong. I have had the best sales ever past 2 months. Seen best sales ever browsing. Way more books being listed and sold and for impressive prices. I have gotten some deals as well but I always do. And they were on unpopular books. Nowhere close to a deal on anything hot. 

Was in chat when PGX asm 15 went off. 3 of us in there that could spend 10 grand on a book no problem at all. It was listed good so everyone seen it. I was highly tempted, 4 grand was my max. Pictures weren't great. Looked to have a dozen small spine ticks and not sharp corners. Wasnt trimmed. Didn't see any color touch but who knows without seeing book in person. I thought hard about buying it. Would never send it to cgc, would list it for 10 grand see how it went. Wait and wait until a buyer came along. Even taking 7 or 8 would been a good profit. If it was a book I would want in my collection I would have gone to 6 grand on it. Just don't care about it. Think it is inflated by speculation already and could plummet in value if he doesn't get announced for a movie. Could of went 5 grand and hoped a buyer came along. Few years ago I would have for sure. Each year though fewer and fewer buyers of PGX. Determining factor was seller is from Eugene Oregon so PGX owner, employee, friend? Dunno but a red flag. It was a good deal though. Just not a easy quick resale and although market is strong now, I am not counting on it being so strong in the next few months to year so risk of being stuck with that book was too high.

I agree...

As I've said

Collectibles react to the economy differently then stocks ect. It's no suprise business is good

When things are "bad" people want to feel good and collecting makes people feel good

22 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I agree...

As I've said

Collectibles react to the economy differently then stocks ect. It's no suprise business is good

When things are "bad" people want to feel good and collecting makes people feel good

People got their checks. Full unemployment. And no expenses such as eating out, bus subway fare, gas, etc. Free time to shop online. Best it has ever been. When or if we have 20 percent unemployment and people aren't getting unemployment we will see a noticable downturn. People won't be giving books away for free but maybe back to 2016 ish prices or even 2013. That is worst case imo. Personally I am selling everything that is even luke warm. Movie rumors are enough to sell on for me. Not waiting for confirmation. Loading up on cash to buy stocks for sure and possibly comics if market downturns. 

1 hour ago, Myowncollector said:

People got their checks. Full unemployment. And no expenses such as eating out, bus subway fare, gas, etc. Free time to shop online. Best it has ever been. When or if we have 20 percent unemployment and people aren't getting unemployment we will see a noticable downturn. People won't be giving books away for free but maybe back to 2016 ish prices or even 2013. That is worst case imo. Personally I am selling everything that is even luke warm. Movie rumors are enough to sell on for me. Not waiting for confirmation. Loading up on cash to buy stocks for sure and possibly comics if market downturns. 

Same, even if it's lukewarm... I have the time now that I won't have later.. stuff I've sat on for years in my longboxes that I said when the movie news comes I've just started to list now.. Staking the cheddar now.. this is smart

There were some books in the Platinum session of HA's last auction that underperformed, imo. Overall, though, if there are a lot of screaming bargains in recent auctions, I missed them.