• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any small LCS owners want to weigh in

5 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

What will this crisis do to the American comic book shop footprint across the country ? 

I know my old shop is struggling. The owner emailed me looking to move some books.  He's posting on his site and listing on Ebay.  It won't be easy. 

13 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I know my old shop is struggling. The owner emailed me looking to move some books.  He's posting on his site and listing on Ebay.  It won't be easy. 

Yeah, real tough for them. Just as hard are friends of mine who do antiques and other collectibles. They depend on the live shows as it can be harder to ship bigger items. At least the comic market is still pretty strong and can be easily shipped. 

My LCS is struggling along too. I bought a bunch of supplies and met him in the parking lot after paying with PayPal. He was doing well enough in early Feb to open a new store. It will probably fold. There is also mother store nearby that opened on Jan 2nd is probably gone for good. They only sold new comics, nothing else. Well with no new books coming in and not being able to sell them, 

I spoke to my LCS owner about other possibilities including, using IG, FB and these boards as well. I hope he makes it. Unlike a lot of stores who have been on the ropes for a while, his store has been very successful. He has no back stock to speak of so not getting new product will hurt. 

Stores and dealers across the board are going to have to work a lot harder and be willing to move product in a more realistic manner. High prices and overgrading isn’t going to make it. Those days are gone. Having something people want and selling at a small profit and selling off stuff that has been sitting around for a while even at break even prices will help. 

A lot of stores will die. But the hobby is strong and when this is over many ones will come back and new stores will pop up.