• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forbidden Planet (1956)

31 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Forbidden Planet is a spectacular movie. When I worked in a video store, I played it ALL the time.

I agree.  Have it on Blu-ray.  Absolute classic.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

I agree.  Have it on Blu-ray.  Absolute classic.  

Shakespeare! The Tempest, set in space!

A remake/prequel is about 65 years overdue! Something like the events of Prometheus prior to Alien. A movie about the Krell and what leads up to Forbidden Planet, including thwe showing of what occurred on Morbius' ship.

Edited by James J Johnson

53 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Shakespeare! The Tempest, set in space!

A remake/prequel is about 65 years overdue! Something like the events of Prometheus prior to Alien. A movie about the Krell and what leads up to Forbidden Planet, including thwe showing of what occurred on Morbius' ship.

One of the best sci-fi movies ever but no remakes please.Prequel may be ok.Remember what happened with the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still and the horrible,horrible remake of War of the Worlds.

If it works the first time around,don't mess with it.

9 minutes ago, Toz said:

One of the best sci-fi movies ever but no remakes please.Prequel may be ok.Remember what happened with the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still and the horrible,horrible remake of War of the Worlds.

If it works the first time around,don't mess with it.

Not suggesting a remake, but a movie about the Krell. Events that happened leading up to this movie. Like Prometheus is to Alien.

4 hours ago, reptilekingdie said:

I am watching this classic and just noticed Dr. Morbius mentions adamantium when 2 crew members get into his office.  

Adamantium had been around a long time as a indestructible metal before marvel used it. I am pretty sure it goes back to the late 1800s at least, it's mentioned in Gullivers Travels and other books and stories I forget right now.

3 hours ago, catman76 said:

Adamantium had been around a long time as a indestructible metal before marvel used it. I am pretty sure it goes back to the late 1800s at least, it's mentioned in Gullivers Travels and other books and stories I forget right now.

Paradise Lost, late 17th century. Milton refers to one or several of Hell's gates being made of adamantine. I think it was some kind of alloy from much earlier antiquity that served later on as the basis for steel. Not sure. Look online and there's conflicting info on it.

17 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Paradise Lost, late 17th century. Milton refers to one or several of Hell's gates being made of adamantine. I think it was some kind of alloy from much earlier antiquity that served later on as the basis for steel. Not sure. Look online and there's conflicting info on it.

"columns of adamant, which neither gods nor men could open" - Virgil, Aeneid book VI, 19 B.C. (thumbsu

On 4/7/2020 at 3:59 PM, reptilekingdie said:

I am watching this classic and just noticed Dr. Morbius mentions adamantium when 2 crew members get into his office.  

Very well written and paced. These movies were more cerebral and let your imagination and deductive reasoning become part of the -script and movie; a form of engagement that seems to be getting lost on today’s action/adventure movies. I can watch this movie again and again and somehow it maintains its freshness. This movie along with the original “The Day the Earth Stood Still” and “War of the Worlds” still hold up and are much better than their remakes. 

Edited by Jaylam

On another note, although it was ground breaking at the time, the all electronic soundtrack is a little bit annoying and distracting. If they could remake the soundtrack only, using maybe a mixture of the original with something more conventional, it might actually improve the experience. 

5 hours ago, Jaylam said:

On another note, although it was ground breaking at the time, the all electronic soundtrack is a little bit annoying and distracting. If they could remake the soundtrack only, using maybe a mixture of the original with something more conventional, it might actually improve the experience. 

I can see what you mean. It is a bit hard, metallic and cold-sounding. Maybe keep the soundtrack and make it warmer in places; take the edge off it. 

It still suits the Krell and Creature from the Id sections.

Edited by Ken Aldred