• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Incredible Hulk 181 (Tricky Situation)
2 2

12 posts in this topic

This is my first post. Please forgive me if I mess anything up. I have a Incredible Hulk #181 with a missing MVS. But I found and purchased a Shanna MVS from a Hulk 181 off of eBay. I was informed by Steve Borock that if I reattached the stamp with archival tape it would be considered a complete copy. It would just be marked reattached and that Page 10 is marred with tape. And of course it would get a lower grade. Now, I'm not saying I'm gonna tape it back in. But I might if it gets me a blue label. Does anyone know what kind of deduction would occur because of this? The comic was cleaned and pressed by me. No pressable defects remain. All other pages are undamaged. I have a good idea what the grade would come back at as a qualified copy. But a complete copy with that damage has me lost.

20200408_161710.jpg

20200408_161715.jpg

20200408_161718.jpg

20200408_161734.jpg

20200408_161738.jpg

20200408_161747.jpg

20200408_161750.jpg

20200408_161830.jpg

20200408_161833.jpg

20200408_161915.jpg

20200408_161838.jpg

It’s guaranteed to get a blue label?

I’m at a 5.0-5.5 qualified.

If you tale it in and get a blue label, at worse I would say 4.5. And I mean I think people would pay more...

If the MVS taped in guarantees taking a book from purple to blue, why aren’t people mass buying copies of Man Thing 13 which has the same stamp in it, and then making some money!?

I personally don’t think a Marvel Value stamp taped into any comic should make the comic complete and a blue label especially since it’s not guaranteed to come from the same comic as a number of stamps appeared in a couple issues.

Does a married cover that clearly doesn’t match the staples on a covered book make it a blue label?

CGC can tell if it was original or not. If you retaped a MVS you cut out as a kid, it would match. Unlikely someone can make that work buy buying another stamp. There's a difference between taping something that was ripped out of the book and adding a page, piece or stamp from another book and taping it in. I would consider this some form of restoration and would expect purple label.

If you are just a collector who wants the complete book, that is fine. I would do the same if I had a Hulk 181 missing a stamp. I would get a cheap Man Thing and put one in for myself. Or if a book was missing a page, I might try to secure the page from a coverless copy. Or marry a cover if possible. But I wouldn't be sending these in to grade...more so just for me as a collector. 

I purchased a Hulk 181 from a guy.  He cut out the stamp himself and kept it  with the book.  I thought that if I taped the stamp back into the book it would receive a blue label with a note on the label.  Something like "piece reattached with tape"  I was wrong.  It still came back green.  Go figure.