• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TO SLAB OR NOT TO SLAB?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

TO SLAB OR NOT TO SLAB??? 

giphy.gif.a859752dc5789820fb003b848dac0607.gif

Hello fellow comic collectors, enthusiast and aficionados!!!

I come to you with a question. I'm a bronze/copper/modern book collector, leaning heavily in the modern era of collecting. That said, I pose the question, is it worth the outlay to slab modern books? I understand why you would get a gold or silver age book slabbed, a first appearance, a signed book, etc. but I wonder if it would be worth doing for modern books. I would do it for nothing more than the fact that I loved the cover art and would love to display the books. I guess I'm really just trying to justify the outlay of cash for something I'm just going to display. What do you guys (and girls) think? Thanks in advance for all your advice!!! (thumbsu

To me it's a matter of maximum protection and authentication.  With that said, I only slab yellow label signatures and key books.  Even then, I have a number of raw books in top loaders or MyLite2/FB/Archival Mylar/FB.  In my case, cost eventually factored into my decision.  And when it came to modern books, grade did as well.  With so many copies of Batman Adventures #12 in NM or better condition, it didn't make much sense to slab my VF copy.  For me, just having a copy was more important than the grade.  Basically, save yourself some money and only slab what's important to you.

On 4/9/2020 at 6:28 AM, Eddie Rodriguez said:

I would do it for nothing more than the fact that I loved the cover art and would love to display the books

I would say it therefore depends whether you think a slab enhances the look of a book Eddie. If you think a slabbed book is a thing of beauty, then you'll no doubt think it worth slabbing one to display it. If you think a slab is an ugly plastic monstrosity though, which detracts from the star of the show, then there's no point slabbing them. Beware also Newton Rings. If you get one back with those on it they look pig ugly no matter how nice the comic underneath is.