• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping to CGC - Registered or Priority Mail?
3 3

31 posts in this topic

Found this interesting.

Jewelers Mutual provides instructions/advice for shipping expensive jewelry at this link (much of which would apply to high value comics):

https://www.diamondcouncil.org/Documents/ReadingRoom/TheSAFEWaytoShipJewelry.pdf

Spoiler alert, they recommend Register Mail above all other options.

But I found this paragraph of note:

7. Avoid shipping packages to/from ZIP codes 10036, 90013, 90014, or 90015. Use caution when sending packages to/from ZIP codes 60602, 60603, 60659, 94102, 94103, and 94108. If shipping to and from these ZIP codes, arrange for packages to be picked up or delivered to the post office or the carrier's convenience center. Consider mailing the shipment to another location outside of these ZIP code areas. Avoid shipping to a residential address.

Last time I got insurance for a USPS package, which held an ultra-rare MARVEL poster, a forklift ran over it in Grand Junction, MI. I spent months convincing USPS that they dropped the ball and spent even more time proving that the poster was as valuable as I insured it for. To actually get through to the USPS dept who handles claims tested the limits of my tenacity. After I got the settlement, thank goodness, USPS kept the poster for “research” purposes. I had no say in the matter. FedEx is the way. 

On 4/12/2020 at 10:02 PM, Lightning55 said:

It can depend on the situation.  I self-insure under $100 on media mail, and Priority has a free $100 for commercial shippers.  Over that, I include it, but I'm only paying $.80 per $100 of coverage.  Cheap enough to add it.  I use PirateShip.com.  And the shipping fee I charge has a little room in it, so it's not even my money I'm using for the insurance.  That buys a lot of peace of mind.

WARNING: to any of you using Pirateship or Shippo for sending books insured to CGC for grading.  I was about to purchase a label for my latest shipment when I decided to read the fine print on the Exclusions.  This is the excerpt from the Pirate Ship and Shippo insurance exclusions pages.  Both use ShipShurance as their insurer.

"Additionally, collectible coins, comic books, sports cards and similar that are being shipped to be graded and have their value established are excluded. Collectible coins, comic books, sports cards, and similar are not excluded if they have already been graded and have their value established or if they were sold under a paid, Recent Invoice or have a Recent Appraisal. "

So you can't ship them to CGC if they are raw to be graded but if they are already graded it's ok.  Does anyone know of a non-subscription discount shipping service that provides coverage for USPS/UPS/FedEx shipping that will insure comics being sent to CGC?  I'm currently looking into EasyShip's free option as it doesn't appear to use shipshurance or have these exclusions. 

image.thumb.png.15b0ca5b48745f6cbde326f22f978c0e.png

image.thumb.png.52dfab085303f8f4fc66f7db5fc02449.png

On 5/23/2023 at 2:31 PM, justafan said:

WARNING: to any of you using Pirateship or Shippo for sending books insured to CGC for grading.  I was about to purchase a label for my latest shipment when I decided to read the fine print on the Exclusions.  This is the excerpt from the Pirate Ship and Shippo insurance exclusions pages.  Both use ShipShurance as their insurer.

"Additionally, collectible coins, comic books, sports cards and similar that are being shipped to be graded and have their value established are excluded. Collectible coins, comic books, sports cards, and similar are not excluded if they have already been graded and have their value established or if they were sold under a paid, Recent Invoice or have a Recent Appraisal. "

So you can't ship them to CGC if they are raw to be graded but if they are already graded it's ok.  Does anyone know of a non-subscription discount shipping service that provides coverage for USPS/UPS/FedEx shipping that will insure comics being sent to CGC?  I'm currently looking into EasyShip's free option as it doesn't appear to use shipshurance or have these exclusions. 

Good info on shipping using Pirateship or Shippo.  Thanks for the clarity on this.

On 5/23/2023 at 3:31 PM, justafan said:

This is definitely the case with Pirate Ship.  But it doesn't mean you can't insure raw comics to CGC or anywhere else. 

I have a shipment of raw comics coming worth over $3000, being sent and insured by Pirate Ship.  Since there is a "Recent Invoice", my enclosed Paypal invoice, there is proof of value and that meets the exception.

When I send them in to CGC, if not too far in the future, I can use that same Paypal Invoice as proof of value.

If you are sending raw comics in for grading, and you have had them a while,or even decades, you should use the USPS insurance through Priority or Registered Mail.  Or have your own CIS type coverage.  Or both.

On 5/23/2023 at 6:41 PM, Lightning55 said:

This is definitely the case with Pirate Ship.  But it doesn't mean you can't insure raw comics to CGC or anywhere else. 

I have a shipment of raw comics coming worth over $3000, being sent and insured by Pirate Ship.  Since there is a "Recent Invoice", my enclosed Paypal invoice, there is proof of value and that meets the exception.

When I send them in to CGC, if not too far in the future, I can use that same Paypal Invoice as proof of value.

If you are sending raw comics in for grading, and you have had them a while,or even decades, you should use the USPS insurance through Priority or Registered Mail.  Or have your own CIS type coverage.  Or both.

This is my understanding as well after re-reading it a few times.  Unfortunately, most of my shipments to CGC are passed the time frame to be considered recently purchased.  I may just end up waiting to drop them off at Hero's Con in June and save the $45 shipping.

On 5/23/2023 at 6:41 PM, Lightning55 said:

Following up on this subject.  My $3500 raw comic order was shipped in 5 separate boxes, each insured for $700 by Shipsurance via Pirate Ship.  One box got crunched badly, $600 worth of comics damaged.  I put in a claim through Pirate Ship.  It was a bit involved for photos and documentation because 30 comics got damaged, but the claim was paid at full value, and in a reasonable time. 

Pirate Ship acted as the intermediary.  I was assigned a claims person.  She coordinated the claim and helped "navigate" it to a good conclusion.

I have had some small USPS claims in the past, and it was always just fill it out online and hope.  This was a sizeable claim, and it helped to have someone on the other end to email and explain things in more detail.  Very satisfied with the process and the outcome.

On 4/12/2020 at 12:38 PM, Callaway29 said:

Have to wrap in brown paper using gum tape. They stamp all the seams to provide evidence of tampering. There’s a strict chain of custody where each person who handles it signs for it, and it gets locked in a cage over night... Also goes in a locked bag I believe...

LOL Except 14/15 post offices totally failed their audits in regards to registered mail, and not just "minor" infractions. registered mail was left unlocked during and after business hours, mixed with regular mail, keys lost, logs not properly kept at ALL audited post offices, "regular employees" handling registered mail, in one case the auditor witnessed a clerk handing off a registered mail package to someone with no ID and no proof of the sender or who they even were. 

I ship my most valuable stuff split up. Sure, it takes longer, more paperwork, etc... but I sleep better.. And, by splitting it up I mean I also do not mail them on the same day. What's the point if your semi-truck is the one rolled over on the side of the highway with 5 of your boxes in it???... I'd rather just have 1 box in there of 1/5th my shipment. Then, 4 other trucks have the other 4 boxes.

Especially now, it's hail/tornado/severe weather season in most of the US.. I want all my stuff on as many different trucks/airplanes as possible.

Food for thought...