• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man 100-200 keys?
1 1

141 posts in this topic

On 4/13/2020 at 11:11 AM, Lazyboy said:

Are you looking for keys, or books of (relatively) high value?

lol At best.

For curiosity's sake, high value (I saw your list of keys), I'd want to see how they'd differ.

Ironically, I got the idea 162 was a 'key' from that MyComicShop list. But he's Punisher's top villain and was in a movie and a tv show, come on, it's more of a key than friggin' Harry Osborn as the Goblin (I don't think he even unmasks in that issue) or a random team up with the Hulk...

What you seem to be looking for is books that have broken out price wise from the books surrounding them. That doesn't make them " keys" ,as much as it just shows they are in higher demand. Key Comics has a very useful site that breaks these down pretty well, but it's a pay as you go site. I think its around $2 a month.

52 minutes ago, MetaHuman said:

Probably want to add #102 to the list. It's the 2nd appearance of Morbius plus it has his origin. It's listed at $260 in the 2019/20 annual Overstreet. Only 100, 101, 121, 122, 129 and the price variants are higher between 100 to 200.

That is interesting, people were discounting 100 but I think it's more of a key and pricey than the others, besides 194 I guess.

And this is just for fun, I'm not looking to make a speculation investment or anything, I have most of the issues already. I personally like un-pricey issues like 150 or 185 and consider those 'important.'

Edited by brentdevil

On 4/13/2020 at 3:45 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

That's what I thought when I saw it - if he can get in surely The Mindworm, Rocket Racer and Big Wheel can too :bigsmile:

I must be out of the loop. 

Back in the day, 119 and 120 were always considered 'keys' due to the Hulk appearance and were priced accordingly. My instinctive list has always been 100, 101, 119, 120, 121, 122, 129 and 194. 

This has also been my feelings too, in terms of keys. "Second" Punisher (not really but whatever) never saw much love until th last 5-7 years IMO as ASM 129 climbed outta the realm of affordable for a lot of people. First Jigsaw...meh. First Ben Reilly was also not a huge seller 5-7 years ago. Nowadays, it seems like some people ask the moon for it, others are more reasonable. I don't consider it Ben Rielly's first app because it is a retcon. Someone in the future was like "hey remember way back when this happened? Let's make him alive, give him a name and start something crazy!"

I just say buy em all. 100-200 is just awesome Spidey fun. It cools from 201-237 (Juggernaut two parter excepting) and then kicks back up with Hobby goodness :acclaim:

6 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

100-200 is just awesome Spidey fun. It cools from 201-237 (Juggernaut two parter excepting) and then kicks back up with Hobby goodness :acclaim:

It's a little aggravating how people are now considering 210 and 212 'keys' due to casting rumors, when Hydro Man and Madame Web are about the bottom of the barrel. I am retracting my previous statement about Harry Osborn's importance if we're now keying in Madame Web...

Hydro Man is actual trash. Lame villain who to my knowledge has never bad a fan base. I shudder at the people who paid $50-80 during the hype. $5-10 book in high grade max.

Madame Web I always found annoying. She was like some weird mentor that I personally didn’t think fit into Spideys world. The Jugernaut story is good but again I always kind of found her connection with Spidey weird so that story has take some time for me to really like it. Also she kind of just disappears, no? I forget why and what happened.

She also was prevalent in the 90s cartoon and again was an annoying old hag there too. For some reason she always just sticks around. I dunno what she has done of late that is noteworthy but calling her first app a major key is weird to me.

Edited by comicginger1789

7 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Hydro Man is actual trash. Lame villain who to my knowledge has never bad a fan base. I shudder at the people who paid $50-80 during the hype. $5-10 book in high grade max.

Madame Web I always found annoying. She was like some weird mentor that I personally didn’t think fit into Spideys world. The Jugernaut story is good but again I always kind of found her connection with Spidey weird so that story has take some time for me to really like it. Also she kind of just disappears, no? I forget why and what happened.

She also was prevalent in the 90s cartoon and again was an annoying old hag there too. For some reason she always just sticks around. I dunno what she has done of late that is noteworthy but calling her first app a major key is weird to me.

Madame Web?  

IIRC Stan Lee’s wife, Joan Lee, provided the voice for the character in the 1994 tv cartoon series.

On 4/16/2020 at 8:17 AM, brentdevil said:

For curiosity's sake, high value (I saw your list of keys), I'd want to see how they'd differ.

Ironically, I got the idea 162 was a 'key' from that MyComicShop list. But he's Punisher's top villain and was in a movie and a tv show, come on, it's more of a key than friggin' Harry Osborn as the Goblin (I don't think he even unmasks in that issue) or a random team up with the Hulk...

He gets unmasked in 137. I think it merits a certain status only due to the return of the Goblin not necessarily Harry. I would guess not everyone at the time was sure they'd bring back the character? I don't know that it's a key but most definitely an important noteworthy issue. 

Btw, I'm not sure I'd characterize 124 as a key either but it was seeing a nice value bump in high grades recently. I don't know about now but it was on the move a few months ago!

#100 is a classic cover.  In fact, it’s one of the best Bronze Age covers.  Period.  And it’s been a key for some time and is certainly more worthy as a key ASM book than the 1st appearance of Jigsaw or Dr Marla Madison.  Folks who prop ASM 161 and 162 as key Bronze Age spideys are living in a fairy tale.

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

#100 is a classic cover.

No.

In fact, it’s one of the best Bronze Age covers.  Period.

lol No.

And it’s been a key for some time

Why/how? What's important about the book, besides NOTHING?

and is certainly more worthy as a key ASM book than the 1st appearance of Jigsaw or Dr Marla Madison.  Folks who prop ASM 161 and 162 as key Bronze Age spideys are living in a fairy tale.

Well, somebody here is...

3 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Do me a courtesy by not responding to my posts.

you are incredibly snarky and love bending definitions to serve only your point of view.

I straighten out definitions, not bend them. Other people are the ones bending them.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Why/how? What's important about the book, besides NOTHING?

First appearances and storyline aren't the only criteria for key issues.   First issues, anniversary issues, 1st artist/writer, crossovers, hero fights and origin issues were a big deal....key or not key today is debatable.

To answer the OP-  My keys would probably be 121, 122, 129.  Second tier 100, 101, 124, 194  Third tier 102, 119, 120, 136, 149, 162, 200   If pressed into saying "yes or no" to key status I'd say the first two tiers are legit. :slapfight:

Edited by bababooey
Added 149 after looking at thread ;)

5 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

#100 is a classic cover.  In fact, it’s one of the best Bronze Age covers.  Period.  And it’s been a key for some time and is certainly more worthy as a key ASM book than the 1st appearance of Jigsaw or Dr Marla Madison.  Folks who prop ASM 161 and 162 as key Bronze Age spideys are living in a fairy tale.

It all depends what you consider a key. It's more expensive than the books around it. If someone was putting together a run , it's certainly not a common if you use card terminolgy.

If you subscribe to the school of thought that there are very few keys in a run, then it certainly isn't.

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

First appearances and storyline aren't the only criteria for key issues.   First issues, anniversary issues, 1st artist/writer, crossovers, hero fights and origin issues were a big deal

Big deal equals relatively popular. Popular does not equal key. Certainly, none of those things automatically make an issue key or even popular.

Perhaps @Lazyboy can indulge us with the definition of a "key". And even when you do, it will be your definition, not the definitive one.

Issue #100 is a key issue. It marks an important point, numerically only, in Spidey's history in comics. And the cover is enjoyed by many. It is the same reason, generally, why the 100th, 200th and 300th issues of titles generally sell more than those around it. Some of these numbers also happen to have major appearances in them (ASM 300 for example) but others just get the boost because of the number.

It may not be a key you care about, and that is fine. I care about it because it is a Spidey ish and I want an ASM run. I wouldn't care at all for a Cap #200 or a DD #100 because I don't care as much for those titles. But there are people who do and those milestone issues tend to sell for a bid more. So clearly it has value, is desired and is key to some people. 

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Big deal equals relatively popular. Popular does not equal key. Certainly, none of those things automatically make an issue key or even popular.

So what does, in your opinion?