• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Hulk 340 a 9.8?

27 posts in this topic

On 4/22/2020 at 7:32 AM, 1-9-8-0 said:

Wow, way to not show constructive criticism in ANY of your replies to the original poster, especially being that they are new, maybe you didn't intend to come off like an arrogant white knight of the forums, whether it's not having a super keen eye for spotting discrepancies in a comic or posting in the wrong forum (the mods themselves can do that, hence the reason they're mods). I thought it was an honest question, and as for the slab, it does happen where someone will open one up and swap the 9.8 out, put a lower grade in that looks almost 9.8-ish, make it look like it was never opened, then put the ebay listing up and sell it as the 9.8, meanwhile sending the real 9.8 back in and getting it slabbed as a 9.8 to either keep for themselves or sell. People should be more welcoming to new collectors. 

That scenario is impossible, exactly how many slabs have you personally cracked open?

Yeah, I have a few slabs in front of me and I don't see how it's possible to swap anything in or out of it without there being evidence of tampering, if it's even possible.  I think the white spots on the book is a production defect and not wear.  It's either white ink or an area where ink didn't hit the paper.  I think that should disqualify it for a 9.8 but apparently CGC disagrees and allows it.  I guess they see it as in 9.8 condition as it was produced, regardless if it was produced correctly.

42 minutes ago, greggy said:

Headed to beach to see if it is accessible for something I have planned next week.  lol 

Hopefully, I shall return to something far more entertaining than it already is.  

@Artboy99 Comments like that kill me.  Hulk 340 was the first book I ever submitted to be slabbed. When I was removing it from the box and walking it over to the table to wrap it, I dropped it.  I don't know if it had any damage as a result but I can only imagine what could have been.  It came back a 9.6.  Oh... what could have been. 

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicView.aspx?PeopleSetComicID=361603

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Headed to beach to see if it is accessible for something I have planned next week.  lol 

Hopefully, I shall return to something far more entertaining than it already is.  

@Artboy99 Comments like that kill me.  Hulk 340 was the first book I ever submitted to be slabbed. When I was removing it from the box and walking it over to the table to wrap it, I dropped it.  I don't know if it had any damage as a result but I can only imagine what could have been.  It came back a 9.6.  Oh... what could have been. 

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicView.aspx?PeopleSetComicID=361603

I am a realist what can I say.