• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearances

6 posts in this topic

So, this is my first topic and my second post. I have noticed that in the series I collect in CGC graded books there are first appearances for characters that are not noted on the issue the characters first appears in. The specific cases I am thinking of are Sandman #10, #21 and Sandman Special #1. In order these are the first appearances of Desire, Despair, Delirium and Destruction of the Endless. These are not minor characters by any means and there are even further issues in the series where their appearance in the issue is noted. For example in issue #45 the label notes "Delirium appearance." So she is well known enough to note that she appears in an issue, but not to note her first appearance? As far as I have seen there is also no debate as to these characters' first appearances so its not a matter of which issue they actually appear in first. To further add to my confusion CGC HAS noted a character such as Nada in issue #9, a character that is far less important and less know than the characters who haven't been noted. There are other characters in the series that have also not been noted that have been popular enough to go on to have their own mini series. Is it possible to get CGC to start noting their first appearances on books? Or if not is it possible when submitting a book with a first appearance to have CGC to note the first appearance? Hopefully I didn't post this in an area it doesn't belong. Thank you.

Note that there’s a decent chance the answers will be inconsistent and/or disappointing 

On 4/24/2020 at 1:04 PM, Gaard said:

From my experience, if you include a note stating your wants, they will generally oblige. The only time I asked for a 1st appearance to be noted, however, it was denied.

Yeah, the notations are a commodity. If you think they're important, then you can ask that they be included (though CGC isn't obliged to include them).

CGC also isn't the definitive source of what is a 1st appearance.